Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:34 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,641,947 times

Advertisements

Okay,

I'm asking this question because 8 times out of 10 most people when they think of New York or of New Yorkers, they just think of the city or the people who inhabit New York City, which to me is a bit unfair. A New Yorker in my opinion is someone who not only lives in NYC but lives in the state and enjoys all the aspects of the state.

I live in NYC but countless of times I've ventured out of the urban metropolis of NYC and throughout the years found out so many reasons why I love this great state of New York and some of the hidden gems of it that not many people know who just go visit NYC.

One of many reasons why I do love this state is because its home to one of the greatest cities in the country or in the world for that matter in New York City. Of course I can go on about why I love NYC so much since I live in the city but other than that I love the fact that not only is one of the best cities is in the state but if you venture into Long Island you have one of the best beaches in the country in my opinion (outside of Hawaii and California but regardless has its own unique NYS charm that I love). The countless amount of open beaches or really incredible, serene and scenic and offer so much activity to do.

Besides NYC there's other smaller cities that I love and do enjoy traversing too like Rochester for its White-Hot/garbage plates that make me hit the toilet for 20 minutes afterwards, Buffalo for its infamous (and best) Buffalo wings, Albany etc.

I love the serene mountains and landscapes that NYC has to offer such as Bear Mountain State Park.

I'm being lazy but there's a lot more about this state that I love that I can keep going on.

However, I want others to state why they love the state (no pun intended) so I can elaborate on as well.

What do you love about this state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 12:43 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,274,041 times
I like the fact that you are rarely far from a major body of water, something which I greatly miss in nearly every other state. We are practically surrounded by it. There's Lake Erie on the western border, Lake Ontario and the St Lawrence River on the northern border, Lake Champlain and the Hudson River on the eastern portion. That is not to mention the several Finger Lakes, the Adirondack Chain of Lakes, and countless other smaller lakes and rivers any one of which would be a big deal almost anywhere else. I also like the rolling hills, mountains, and forests that surround many of them. A great place for outdoor sportsmen. I can't get use to watching those flat golf courses on tv. I like sailing and swimming and the ocean size and feel of the Great Lakes.

I like the fact that we have so much early history here from the Dutch settlers on. Lots of original inventions and movements came from upstate NY. I like the fact that people are so honest and friendly that people still help each other here. That we have wonderful neighbors in the Canadians and are easily accesible to a half dozen major NE/Canadian cities of varying flavors and can still maintain our main square small town cozy atmosphere. I like the great number of colleges in NYS both private and public. I like the architecture, from the great camps and log cabins in the Adirondacks, to the three story balconied Italianette homes full of carved woodwork and the Revolutionary Colonials, to the Frank Lloyd Wright and Arts & Craft style cottages, to the New England styles on LI. I like touring the robber baron grand estates and gardens along the Albany to Westchester corridor and on Long Island for a feel of yesteryear. I like the fact that it's green and lush. I like the wine country and the apple orchards and poking around in the country on road trips.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:49 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,465,558 times
letchworth state park

Old 09-25-2009, 11:28 AM

81 posts, read 126,693 times
Default New York is the greatest state

for all reasons mentioned and more. What a state!! I was born and raised in the adirondacks and have lived all over the state, went to college at SU, and now in NYC with my wife and her family. From the thousand islands on the canadian border to the north shore of long island New York is such a wonderful state. The hudson valley is beautiful as are the finger lakes and the southern tier! Rt 17 and the taconic parkway are some of the most scenic drives you can take. I am a proud new yorker and find it great that the turning point of the revolution occurred at Saratoga. Now, if only we could do something about our horrible government, But that is for another post

Old 09-25-2009, 09:58 PM

623 posts, read 1,818,091 times
Until I moved away I didnt think there was anything about the state I liked. But 6 years in Las Vegas changed my opinion.

Things I love about NY:

The people--some mistake straightforwardness for rudeness. NY'ers will tell you the way it is without trying to sugar coat it. And we have a sense of community that is lacking (especially in the west coast)

The weather--yes the weather, snow included. We have a beautiful variety of weather, something for everyone at different times of the year--and those seasons dont last too long

The food: nothing beats NY, especially for Italian food and pizza.

theres more but those are my main things

Old 09-29-2009, 09:17 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,641,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post

The weather--yes the weather, snow included. We have a beautiful variety of weather, something for everyone at different times of the year--and those seasons dont last too long

Thats what I love about being in NY and the North East period.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:33 PM

7 posts, read 19,216 times
If I may, I'd like to share with you folks how I come to love upstate New York, not necessarily for the landscape, or the scenery, but for the beauty, and for the spirit of the people I remember meeting there, when I was a resident, living near the small towns of Worcester, and Schenevus almost twenty years ago.

First, let me explain, I'm one of those people that relate to Barack Obama's description of himself when he was asked about the family ties he claims. His answer is a classic one.

"I'm a mutt," he said with a snicker, and a grin.

I understand perfectly that feeling knowing such a fact about oneself.

I, too, was the child of a single, working mother, although, my mother was twice Barack's mother's age when she raised me. I knew no father, or siblings, so when my mother died, I became a ward of the state of Kansas, and the property of a tyrant that worked me like a man for six years. His wife, too, was cruel, and abusive. Through the years, I was allowed no solitude, and I suffered the total destruction of any self-worth I might of had.

When I was in my twenties, I met a man in Utah while on my travels. I'd become a vagabond at 17, after I managed to escape the farm in Kansas. I had an infant child who's father had abandoned us, and later killed himself with an overdose of heroin. I'd gone to Utah to meet up with friends from Texas who'd traveled to Utah looking for work in the oilfield.

I had no idea when I arrived, I'd be meeting my future husband, and he'd be a man from New York.

Now, growing up in Kansas is somewhat like living in the land of Oz for real. I grew up very isolated, and very ignorant of what was the rest of the world. I belonged to that class of people who's only concept of "New York" is New York City.

I had no knowledge of the diversity of New York state, nor the history of the land, or it's people.

I'm an adventurer at heart, so when the boom of the oilfield went "bust", and we had traveled from Wyoming to south Texas, my husband told me he was tired of the vagabond life-style, and he said he wanted to go home. I said fine, let's go. In my mind, I thought for the first time in my life, I'm going to be close enough to visit the exciting, and wonderous "Big Apple".

I was excited, too, to think my children would see a world beyond anything I could ever imagine.

We lived upstate for almost nine years, and they were good years for the family, although the kids, and I never made it to see anything further than Albany. I grew restless, and homesick for my part of the country, and I convinced my husband to leave, and go west to a job waiting for him.

I had no idea what experiences awaited us. All I knew was I was bored with our methodical, and mundane lives, and I was ready for a change of company. Over the years, I'd become as isolated, and imprisoned there, or so I thought, so I was the most enthusiastic about leaving for greener, and more exciting, or, so I hoped, pastures. I convinced myself, and everyone else, my children were "missing out on the real world", and I thought moving back West would broaden their horizons.

Well, in the years since we left, three of our daughters have been brutally attacked, and raped, and the older daughter was nearly killed by a homeless man when he impaled her with a sword. No one was ever arrested for any of the rapes, and the daughter that was stabbed was caught with illegal drugs, and sent to prison. The last decade has been a living nightmare, and I feel so at fault for taking my family away from the safety, and the serenity of the country known as Upstate. Since leaving, we've had no support from family, or friends, and I'm so ashamed of my beligerance about wanting to leave. I feel I'm to blame for the plight we find ourselves having to live with today (see my original post).

I regret every petty, and imagined resentment I ever had while living there. We were surrounded by family, and friends, and I took them all for granted. I regret thinking Kansas was still my home where I thought life would be better for us. Much to my shock, and dismay, during the years I was gone, my little hometown turned into a swill of drugs, crime, corruption, and degradation, and I settled us right into the middle of it. I can never forgive myself for what I've done to my family, and how selfish I was to demand they see a vision of the world I knew nothing about.

A lot of folks have said to me, "Oh, don't be so hard on yourself, it's this bad everywhere, no matter where you go."

Well, I say if it's become this bad everywhere, then, I know, we, as a country, are in serious trouble.

"We get too soon old, and too late smart." -old German proverb

Old 10-01-2009, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 6,478 times
Enjoyed reading everybody's answers!

Old 10-01-2009, 02:50 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,010,159 times
Autumn - cool brisk wind, leaves changing colors.
Wineries - both North Fork, Dutchess, and Western NY
Beaches - Robert Moses
Nightlife - the city never sleeps (borrowing this from Citibank commercial)
People - very diverse
Culture - fantastic museums and zoos
Eating - wide variety of just about any ethnic and American type food to fit your palate
The list can go on and on.......

Old 10-03-2009, 05:55 AM

107 posts, read 507,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post

The food: nothing beats NY, especially for Italian food and pizza.

Good call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York