Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 12:25 PM

11 posts, read 61,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
No.

Newburgh was named, "All American City," by Look in 1952. It used to be beautiful and prosperous. All those crackhouse tenements used to be single family houses. The streets were cobblestone, and it boasts the widest Main Street in the country with lovely views of the Hudson. Newburgh was the hub of eastern Orange county. For ages, farmers in the region would bring their goods to market in Newburgh where boats would take the produce to New York. Passenger boats traveling the Hudson would stop there, and the Newburgh ferry was the main point of crossing the Hudson; connecting New England with the rest of the country. Newburgh was prosperous practically from its founding. Frederick Olmstead, the man who designed Central Park, designed Newburgh's largest park. It was even the first American city to have electric street lights!

Newburgh was someplace.
youre right - newburgh WAS some place - a very beautiful city - beautiful people - - when I knew it in the late 40s through the 50s and very early 60s - those who trashed it need to hang their heads in shame - I remember the memorial and fourth of july parades going down broadway - I remember wandering through Downing Park as a kid - I remember Fischmans and the movies - I even remember lower water street and the rows of stores that were there - I remember walking with my grandmother through st patricks cemetary - from first street to broadway where she told me where all of my ancestors - HER parents and grandparents were buried - I remember Duggans Ice Cream store across the street from the apartment house my grandmother owned on First Street - and Tony's Grocery on the Corner - I remember Sacred Heart Church where my grandmother used to take me to Mass when she no longer could make the hill down to St Patricks - I remember the beautiful tulip beds blooming in the Spring in Downing Park - when I go through Newburgh now and see the shambles people who dont care have made of it - Im glad my grandparents arent alive to see what theyve done - its a disgrace -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbzness View Post
make sure in your posts that you make the distinction between city of newburgh and town of newburgh
Based on what I see of Newburgh today and what occurs with criminals in these areas after dark - all I can say is THANK GOD FOR POLICE STATES

Old 03-21-2008, 05:52 AM

967 posts, read 2,994,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcccmar45 View Post
Based on what I see of Newburgh today and what occurs with criminals in these areas after dark - all I can say is THANK GOD FOR POLICE STATES
Given the extremely restrictive hand gun laws in Orange County, I just don't understand how there can be so much crime... If the criminals can't get guns, and the law abiding citizens can, there should be no problem- RIGHT? Geez, these gun laws are working GREAT!

Oh, BTW- I'll be up there this weekend to look at property (TOWN of, not city...). I'm certain I'll be safe, after all, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away...LOL

Old 03-21-2008, 08:09 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimC View Post
I was a senior at NFA the year they had the swat team on the roof of the high school. What a trip that was.
Wasn't that every year in the 70's?

Old 07-28-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Balmville has some beautiful homes. Have you seen that house shaped like an Ocean liner? My husbands father was the builder on that job.
you are right sheena - Newburgh was SOMEPLACE up until the early 1960s when some miscreants moved in and destroyed it- It WAS in Look Magazine as one of the 10 best places to live in the country - then it WAS - such a beautiful city - I knew it well up until the 1960s- my great great grandparents came there from Ireland during the potato famine - and my grandmother lived there until she died in 1967- ALL I can say is those who destroyed it with their behavior and lack of responsibility should hang there heads in shame

Old 08-01-2008, 12:59 PM

169 posts, read 418,929 times
so its kept a ghetto by the state for democratic votes? I don't understand. The state does spend money on projects in cities upstate aimed at revitalization. They are stupid projects that are failures, but I think its more that polititians simply don't know what they're doing more than they are deliberately trying to sabatoge upstate's cities. If they revitalized these cities, the economy would be much better, and these polititians would have tons of money to play with. Please, elaborate.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,360 times
Ahhh... the old "blame the Democrats" canard. When the blockbusting that chased the white middle class out of Newburgh in the late 50s & early 60s, who was in power, and who was making money buying up farmland in the Town of Newburgh & building houses? Lots of money was made by turning Newburgh into a ghetto, and most of that money was made by republicans.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:32 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,315,694 times
Not trying to pile on, but here's a photo thread of that area I did about a year ago (on a different site). There's more than just Newburgh, but that city is the one with the most pics:

Hudson River tour part 2 - grit it up - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 11-24-2009, 11:36 AM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Not trying to pile on, but here's a photo thread of that area I did about a year ago (on a different site). There's more than just Newburgh, but that city is the one with the most pics:

Hudson River tour part 2 - grit it up - SkyscraperPage Forum
Very nice pictures! I think that considering the fact that Orange County is one of the fastest growing counties in NY State, it might be a matter of time before Newburgh sees better days in some of it's more abandoned parts again.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:45 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times
This is a bad shame. Newburgh's waterfront looks so beautiful and the rest of Newburgh looks to have so much potential. Everytime I look at broadway I look at something that has so much potential to be a nice small city with a village feel. My grandmother used to live on Grand Street in a senior citizens building which was actually beautiful.

However, the rest of Newburgh is just hard to look at. I really hope Newburgh cleans up its act and gets restored, I remember a documentary was made on this thing.

I can see so much good that can happen at that city. I used to actually love walking around and looking at the Dutch Church and everything.

I seriously wouldn't mind trying to restore Newburgh if I ever become successful in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York