U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 08:23 PM

43 posts, read 149,844 times

Advertisements

Elmira has a Donald Ross course which is reputed to be excellent. Golfers see the name "Donald Ross" and they start plotting excuses to visit, or even move. Soaring Eagles is also close by. But you're right about Syracuse; lotsa good golf there.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-03-2007, 08:03 PM

89 posts, read 552,531 times
The Elmira area has the Elmira COuntry Club, Mark Twain Golf Course, Soaring Eagles Golf CLub, Willow Creek Golf Club, Club at Shepard Hills, and thats all I can think of in the Elmira area. They are good courses though especially Mark Twain.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:46 AM

8 posts, read 42,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_mouse View Post
There was an article in the Buffalo News just yesterday or the day before about the growth of personal income. Interestingly only Elmira and Binghamton posted %ages that where above the nation average in all of upstate.
I can't speak for Elmira, but the Binghamton figures are likely being heavily influenced by all the new defense industry jobs. Lockheed Martin has been hiring like crazy and many of my (non-defense) coworkers have left to go to work there.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:00 AM

6 posts, read 22,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tviz25 View Post
Yeah you must be poor if you moved out of Elmira because is cost too much to live here. It has some of the cheapest housing anywhere in the country. Also, how is it economically shot? And how has it gotten worse because the early 90's is when things were at its worst and now it is on its way back up. The are actually trying and succeeding in things downtown now. That is from an insider telling and outsider what's true.
Wow, People really get defensive when Elmire is run down like the city it is. Look at down town it is empty, You have your big arena when the hocky players play sitting there with NOTHING going on all summer. That was also on the lousy WETM News not that 36 and the infamous Steve Cristie are any better.

As far as being really poor, No I wasn't and I am not now! I was speaking of TAXES that the Empire State puts on you. School Tax & City Taxes are Through the roof. My father pays somewhere near $1000.00 for for just 1 of the taxes, I pay less than half for both taxes here in NC. NY in general is WAY to EXPENSIVE to live in. Hiliry hasnt helped that has she.

The Show

Old 12-01-2007, 10:51 AM

121 posts, read 368,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootgirl55 View Post
When a town or city loses its economic vitality...........

people leave

buildings deteriorate or become vacant

properties tend to look run down and unkempt

crime tends to flourish

It doesn't help that it's located in an area known for gloomy, snowy, wet weather for much of the year.

I get the same feelings about Binghamton.

It's a crime what has happened to upstate NY in the past 30 years....skyrocketing taxes and energy costs drove the businesses away...then the people left (many)

Who stays behind? The less progressive, the elderly, the infirm.....

OK, now I shouldn't have to say it, but you understand this is speaking in general, not speaking about your block or neighborhood...
this gal is right on. Part of the problem with NY is that people left living there very rarely will admit there is a problem. And they are really the only ones left to do anything! I mean its a long way from day one Mr. Spitzer, and what has been accomplished?

Old 12-02-2007, 05:44 PM

135 posts, read 527,343 times
I spent a night/day there last year and found it a most interesting city. Beautiful, BIG homes that one could get for a song and a dance. Very nice restaurant up in the hills above town. Nice campus, Mark Twain house, etc.
It is near Corning which also has an arts scene and not too far fro the fingern lakes/ithica.

Of course thqt doesn't address actually living there, but at first blush it seems like one could certainly do worse

Old 12-12-2007, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 13,811 times
Thumbs down a dark cloud

I grew up in Elmira and moved away several years ago. I can tell you my own personal reasons, some of which have been listed here already:

1. The available jobs are crap. I'm an intelligent, motivated guy and the best I could do after a life long string of sales/customer service/fast food jobs was a psychologically crushing factory job. Oh, I got a human services job for a short time, but it turned out someone was trying to get in my pants. Prison guard you say? No thanks. I watched a few friends turn into alcoholic wife beaters, full of rage over how the law forces them tolerate abuses from the inmates. I don't know, but I been told...

2. The socioeconomic impact of the two maximum security prisons. Welfare families migrate from wherever to be near their loved ones in prison. Leeches on the economy, and generally by virtue of association, bad elements. The poor are spreading, regardless of where they're coming from. You can see the deterioration in the town. Even the nicer main streets in the west side or near west side (the "nicer" part of town) are looking run down- Walnut, Hoffman, Church, Water. So sad.

3. Look at the headlines and check out how many meth labs have been found in the past few years. Good stuff. Get in on that winning strategy while you still can.

4. The hockey rink? Not the economic boost they were hoping for. In fact, check out how many teams in the northeast have folded (other cities not making it work), causing Elmira's team to go to another league, requiring massive travel (expenses). And the acoustics there makes anything else unbearable. Forget about concerts.

5. The lack of good jobs has caused a general brain drain. Smart folks are leaving. The population is shrinking. What, other than family, would keep them there? Most of the college educated from my extended family (now about 6th generation Elmira natives I believe) have left or died.

I tell people there's a dark cloud over Elmira. I liked growing up there for the most part, but adulthood was drudgery there. I'm not wishing anything bad on the place, I just think it's been dying a slow death since the '72 flood and the craptastic attempt at economic recovery since then, and going to a prison economy was a double edged sword. My uncle said it was old money families not willing to stick their necks out and risk losing dominance, and squashing anyone else with a good idea. Once again, I don't know but I been told. My grandmother said Elmira was a booming town in the days of the Erie Canal and passenger trains, and when they died, real growth started to die. Industry kept things going for a few generations then started moving away. Now, industry's leaving the country so don't look for redemption there.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molly malarky View Post
Elmira and Horseheads are the most depressing towns I ever lived in,,ghost towns. NOTHING to do, grey skies all the time, its flat and dismal
Elmira is not flat and there are not grey skies here all the time. It's been absolutely gorgeous for the past month (since winter has ended). Obviously you are not a true Upstate New Yorker. Oh, and by the way... Elmira has a decent population. ghost towns?? are you kidding me? Downtown is rough. About the only place that you should go at night is West Elmira (the rich part). Otherwise, everyone else that is out is creepy. Other than that, I like Elmira...I find that it has become a good hometown for me, except that there isn't anything for me to do.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 7,880 times
My dad worked at the prison and so did my brother in law. They are highly educated people. Futhermore, these prisons do boost an economy.

Elmira is not drab and the surrounding area makes it worth it. We live a short distance from the finger lakes. You may not be able to afford to buy on the lakes, but you can spend a weekend there for a song. You can also visit the museums and shopping elsewhere. The 14905 and (mostly) 01 zip codes are nice.

The schools are far better than anything in big cities and while they may be slipping, the children still get a good education. If you use the fact that you live in Elmira as an excuse, then that is your own fault.

Look around and see all the possibilities. When was the last time you have been to Eldrige park or the Clemens Center?

Old 08-11-2008, 08:27 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,604 posts, read 3,847,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gern Blansten View Post
I'm an intelligent, motivated guy.
Oh, I got a human services job for a short time, but it turned out someone was trying to get in my pants.
Say what ??!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York