Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 05:48 PM

37 posts, read 101,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
consider this: Elmira is an urban center. So they are going to have more crime than say some suburban area or small town, but still isn't as bad as you are making it.
Quote:

Elmira City School District has 2 Middle Schools(Ernie Davis and Broadway). Here's the listings and zoning for the schools in the Elmira City School District:Elmira City Schools and more on the school district:Elmira City Schools

As for the taxes and income, you still have to think about cost of living. So, while the taxes are high, the price tag isn't as high as one would think.
Regarding crime - Yes, Elmira is an urban center and naturally has a high crime rate. However, the nearby communites (ex. West Elmira) are a walking distance from downtown and the criminals can walk to these areas and commit crimes. Furthermore, there are two maximum security prisons in the area so the families of the inmates will move to Elmira and often times, they'll commit crimes as well. As for schools, Broadway is in Southport, which is a seperate town. The school is not much better, if any better than Ernie Davis. Lastly, the average income in Elmira is lower than that of other areas so residents can't afford an expensive living cost. These factors do not make Elmira an appealing place to live in.
Quote:
Elmira is not isolated. You can go to Ithaca, which is a nice city of about 30,000 with quite a bit to do and it's only 30 minutes from Elmira. Binghamton is about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes. Corning, another nice little city of about 11,000, is a 15-20 minute drive. Syracuse is about an hour and a half drive too. It's also close to the Finger Lakes Region too.

The person who I quoted said the largest city in the area was Salt Lake City. Naturally, I had to assume he was referring to big cities which is why I mentioned Rochester instead of a small city like Ithaca. And I'm not sure how fast you drive. I grew up in Elmira and driving at the speed limit, Ithaca is 45 minutes and Syracuse is 2 hours. Don't get me wrong, the Finger Lakes Region is beautiful and has plenty to offer. However, there is little to do in Elmira just like Rock Springs.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:24 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needalife View Post

Regarding crime - Yes, Elmira is an urban center and naturally has a high crime rate. However, the nearby communites (ex. West Elmira) are a walking distance from downtown and the criminals can walk to these areas and commit crimes. Furthermore, there are two maximum security prisons in the area so the families of the inmates will move to Elmira and often times, they'll commit crimes as well. As for schools, Broadway is in Southport, which is a seperate town. The school is not much better, if any better than Ernie Davis. Lastly, the average income in Elmira is lower than that of other areas so residents can't afford an expensive living cost. These factors do not make Elmira an appealing place to live in.

Actually, do you really think that the criminals from the prisons would want to stay close by? Why would they want to do that? If anything, it might actually be safer due to the security there. Most criminals aren't going to go out of their way to commit a crime.

While Broadway Middle is in Southport, it is still a part of the Elmira City SD and the kids go to Southside High. Southside covers the Southern half of the city, Southport, Pine City and probably a couple of smaller communities as well.

The person who I quoted said the largest city in the area was Salt Lake City. Naturally, I had to assume he was referring to big cities which is why I mentioned Rochester instead of a small city like Ithaca. And I'm not sure how fast you drive. I grew up in Elmira and driving at the speed limit, Ithaca is 45 minutes and Syracuse is 2 hours. Don't get me wrong, the Finger Lakes Region is beautiful and has plenty to offer. However, there is little to do in Elmira just like Rock Springs.

As far as things to do, it depends on what a person wants to do.

Here's things about Rock Springs:Rock Springs Chamber of Commerce - Annual Calendar of Events (http://www.rockspringswyoming.net/arealinks.htm - broken link)

Survival Guide to Sweetwater County Wyoming High Desert Adventure.

Here are things in Elmira:The National Soaring Museum - Harris Hill, Elmira, NY

Calendar of Events 2 (http://www.chemungchamber.org/CalendarofEvents2.asp - broken link) (just click on the month)

Area Attractions (http://www.chemungchamber.org/AreaAttractions.asp - broken link)

Old 11-12-2008, 04:49 PM

You misread what I wrote. The families would want to stay close by to the prisons to see their loved ones while they're serving time and often times, they'll commit crimes. And while you'd think Elmira would be safe due to high security, law enforcement isn't real good so Elmira isn't safe. Lastly, one would think criminals wouldn't go out of their ways, but they can and sometimes will drive hours out of their way to commit a crime, so why wouldn't they take a short walk?

Old 11-12-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
You misread what I wrote. The families would want to stay close by to the prisons to see their loved ones while they're serving time and often times, they'll commit crimes. And while you'd think Elmira would be safe due to high security, law enforcement isn't real good so Elmira isn't safe. Lastly, one would think criminals wouldn't go out of their ways, but they can and sometimes will drive hours out of their way to commit a crime, so why wouldn't they take a short walk?
Maybe we should ask the residents of West Elmira, Horseheads, Elmira Heights, Southport and the city of Elmira how safe they feel. Besides, the east side, which is known as the roughest part of the city, I haven't heard much in terms of Elmira not being safe. If they have 3 murders there, that is high and rare. I'm sure other things happen there, but I wouldn't call it the crime capital of NY State at all. Here's some stats here if you scroll down:Elmira Profile | Elmira NY

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, link removed

Elmira crime rate down in 2007, police chief says | stargazette.com | Star-Gazette

Elmira, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Uniform Crime Reports of Elmira Police and Index from 1985 to 2005

Last edited by Yac; 11-14-2008 at 04:26 AM..

Old 11-12-2008, 07:32 PM

[quote=ckhthankgod;6134011]Maybe we should ask the residents of West Elmira, Horseheads, Elmira Heights, Southport and the city of Elmira how safe they feel. Besides, the east side, which is known as the roughest part of the city, I haven't heard much in terms of Elmira not being safe. If they have 3 murders there, that is high and rare. I'm sure other things happen there, but I wouldn't call it the crime capital of NY State at all. Here's some stats here if you scroll down:Elmira Profile | Elmira NY

Elmira crime rate down in 2007, police chief says | stargazette.com | Star-Gazette

Elmira, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Uniform Crime Reports of Elmira Police and Index from 1985 to 2005

Ask me! I was once a West Elmira resident. Answering your question, I never felt safe being so close to a city with a high crime rate. Don't get me wrong, Elmira is not the crime capital of NY state and I never said it was, but it's leaning towards the high side. Oh, and the links comfirm despite a decrease in crime in 2007, it's still higher than what it was in 1985.

Last edited by Yac; 11-14-2008 at 04:25 AM..

Old 11-13-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Ask me! I was once a West Elmira resident. Answering your question, I never felt safe being so close to a city with a high crime rate. Don't get me wrong, Elmira is not the crime capital of NY state and I never said it was, but it's leaning towards the high side. Oh, and the links comfirm despite a decrease in crime in 2007, it's still higher than what it was in 1985.
Of course considering the city has lost population. So, it will make the RATE go up due to population loss, not increasing crime. I think the world is different now than it was in 1985. Elmira is no different in that regard.

Also, being from West Elmira, wouldn't you have gone to EFA? From what I know, kids from North, East and the Westside of Elmira go there too. I could be wrong though. Just because you might have fears doesn't mean the place is out of control in terms of crime.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:23 PM

I moved out of West Elmira after I finished Elementary Schol (Hendy), so I did not go to EFA. If I stayed though, I would have gone to EFA.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:13 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
so did you leave elmira completely when you just finished elementary school?

Old 11-15-2008, 06:50 AM

Yes - there was no reason to go back, no one in my family lived there. The city has been crumbling for decades and my friends who still live there can attest to this.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:52 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
so basically we are taking the opinion of a 13 year old that this is some crime ridden city and you're an expert on everything about elmira?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York