Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 05:22 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,423,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrstoneCaz View Post
When a city thinks Pudgies is good pizza it makes me worry about their sanity.
LOL, I have to agree!

I have relatives in Elmira that love Pudgies and my family in Syracuse thinks they are all nuts too! Pudgies reminds of me the cafeteria pizza found in almost every high school.

I'm not sure the Southern Tier has any good pizza places.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 9,924 times
i grew up in elmira,its not a bad place to live theres just not alot to do. now if the city would open things up, like rebuild eldridge park,and put back a discovery zone along with new go cart,and put put places it just might be alittle bit better. and the crime there is nothing like florida so be thankful you dont have that.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:43 PM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee1975 View Post
i grew up in elmira,its not a bad place to live theres just not alot to do. now if the city would open things up, like rebuild eldridge park,and put back a discovery zone along with new go cart,and put put places it just might be alittle bit better. and the crime there is nothing like florida so be thankful you dont have that.
I agree. It's not a bad city. it just needs more things to do there. It seems like businesses have abandoned the city and need to comeback.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:28 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,988 times
TViz give us some real evidence that its on the upswing. I remember reading the state demographic projections a year or so ago and that area will continue to lose population -- at a rapid rate.

Nice cheap buildings though. There's a huge church for $325k - I once considered buying the building-mansion on Lake street -the one the community arts bought - did they fix it up?

Old 01-30-2010, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 9,253 times
Elmira has 2 federal maximum prisons that hold many NY City criminals. The Prisons encourage the prisoner's family members to move into Elmira and even provide temporary housing at a converted motel. The small city has big city gang and drug problems as it is a drug stop between NYC and Rochester. Want big city crime and a dead economy? Come to Elmira! Oh, and I have lived here for 15 years and want out...

Old 01-30-2010, 01:10 PM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmira View Post
Elmira has 2 federal maximum prisons that hold many NY City criminals. The Prisons encourage the prisoner's family members to move into Elmira and even provide temporary housing at a converted motel. The small city has big city gang and drug problems as it is a drug stop between NYC and Rochester. Want big city crime and a dead economy? Come to Elmira! Oh, and I have lived here for 15 years and want out...
Actually, the crime there can't be too bad. //www.city-data.com/city/Elmira-New-York.html

It's actually at around the US average.

As for jobs, that's another issue.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:20 PM

37 posts, read 133,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemosthenesGhost View Post
Hmmm... This is an interesting thread. It is also relevant, as I am considering this small city to relocate to. From what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, the following is a list of things to do in Elmira I've compiled from the posts indicating "there is nothing to do in Elmira":

Amusement park, 2 minor sports teams, a river, biking, hiking, motorcycling, snowmobiling, several cinemas, a theater, restaurants, bars, easy access to the finger lakes and other local cities

Tell me, what is it exactly in other cities that you're all doing now that you couldn't do in Elmira? As for me, in addition to the above, I garden, ride a harley from April 1 to December 1 and then change over to sleds when the snow comes. I also shoot guns, preferably targets but, an intruder will do nicely. New York has a "castle doctrine" that allows the killing of an intruder without criminal OR civil repercussion... maybe I'll just leave that front door unlocked at night. God, I love the castle doctrine. If you're bored, usually its because you're boring.

As for employment, let see... there's a hospital, medical offices, two prisons, standard municipal and government jobs, financing, Elmira College, a highschool, elementary schools, retail management, food service and apparently a wealth of oppurtunity for entrepenuers and small businesses. This is by no means an all inclusive list of employers but, no one else mentioned any of them except the prisons. And for those of you spouting that you need an education to get a decent job... um... what's the suprise there? Here's an idea: next time you get your welfare check, file a DBA (cost $10) and buy a lawnmower ($150.00) and start a business. Or sit around spending tax payer money and complain why you're not getting rich off welfare. I don't know, its your choice.

The cost of living in Elmira is cheap any way you slice it. Even property taxes are relatively cheap. Yes, I said CHEAP. Property taxes are a function of town spending divided by the total assessed value of property in a town. Though Elmira's mill rate is high, the total dollar figure is PROPORTIONAAL other towns in New York. You want high taxes, go to Yonkers. There you can pay a city income tax as well! Go to any real estate website and see what bang you can get for your buck in Elmira. The one thing I WILL grant the property tax complainers is that NY State medicaid is funded through property tax. I don't understand why NY lawmakers think that it is ok to steal money to fund healthcare for indigents. Free healthcare is NOT a universal right.

As for crime, it is safer than is being reported by others on this forum. Crime can be calculated by a function of race. The blacker the population, the higher the crime. And before anyone starts calling me racist, this is statistical FACT. It is calcuated by an algorythm which uses two statistics which are universal among FBI and INTERPOL crime reporting agencies as well as the National Crime Victimization Survery. First, whites are more prone to victimization by both black and white criminals and second, blacks are 64 times more likely to commit an assault on a white person than vice versa. Elmira is 13% black which is well within the range of acceptable crime levels. The threshold being 40% at which point a cascade effect will ensue whereby whites will flee the area. And to boot, there is little to no hispanic population which has a similare but much less noticeable effect. And as my data suggests, Elmira scores 1 out of 10 (low being best) in both property and violent crime rates; the US average is 3. This data is from an online city rating source.

Anyone considering a job offer in Elmira should take it. Get in while its cheap and stay for the long haul. Its safe, with a small town feel. And for the complainers here's three things you can do to improve your life in Elmira. Go to college, get a hobby, and buy a shotgun. You'll solve all your problems.

Good luck!
DemosthenesGhost
You can cite all the facts you want, but your conclusions are ignorant. Statistically speaking, white folks commit a higher rate of white collar fraud & sexual molestation crimes. But does that mean I'm not going to invest my money with white folks or leave my child in their care?

And if you think you can judge the safety of a city by the color of the skin of its residents, you are a fool. Across the country, there are many communities with a higher percentage of black residents that are statistically speaking, safer than communities with a lower percentage of black residents. Case in point-Virginia Beach (19% black) vs Spokane, WA (2% black). Which city has the higher crime rate? Check it out genius! While you're at, compare the crime stats of New Rochelle, NY and Yonkers, NY to a similar sized city, let's say Salt Lake City which is 2% black. Salt Lake City has a much higher crime rate hands down. And guess what? Both Yonkers and New Rochelle are both nearly 20% black! I can find many other places, but what's the use arguing with a racist.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:06 PM

150 posts, read 427,145 times
actually even though he came out looking like a racist and maybe he is,some of what he said is true. In large cities blacks and than hispanics commit more crime per capita than whites. heck the zip codes with minorities have mor e crime and alot of the crime in white area committed by folks from other zip codes. now mind you i am only speaking about NYC where i just Retired from the NYPD and studied COMPSTAT(look it up ,google the word). Now in smaller areas the stats might be different. For example a a city in tennessee with mAJORITY OF WHITES WILL HAVE HIGH CRIME RATE AND THE CRIME WILL BE CAUSED BY WHITES.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:16 PM

150 posts, read 427,145 times
oh as i read your post over i realized you have been wrong to insult the other person. Safety of city has more t odo with police tactics then anything else. NYC used to have alot of crime but now safest city in usa because of the aggressive proactive police work of my fellow brothers .Most police forces are not proactive they are responsive. In NYPD we do more than just write tickets,its total war. I say you are wrong to insult the other poster because you bought up" white collar fraud & sexual molestation crime". These two catagories doesnt make an area safe or unsafe. sexual molestation happens inside the home,also minorities have higher percentage of sex offenders which include rape. The crimes that affect avg person is robbery,murder,burglary,rape,etc.Even drug use doesnt mean much because the crime exists from the gangs selling but users live anyplace including richest areas and commit no crime.
Truth is Elmira crime stats make it pretty safe. You can live in good area and have houses with drug users. The fact that you even know whats going on means it must be being taken care of by the police. i know larger cities dont even pay attention to homes with petty drug users or prostitution,we have biggger fish to catch .Heck i live in best area of brooklyn and i know in my building there are brothels(russian girls).But police ignore it because its hard to prove and is not "out" in open.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:08 PM

37 posts, read 133,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyranger View Post
actually even though he came out looking like a racist and maybe he is,some of what he said is true. In large cities blacks and than hispanics commit more crime per capita than whites. heck the zip codes with minorities have mor e crime and alot of the crime in white area committed by folks from other zip codes. now mind you i am only speaking about NYC where i just Retired from the NYPD and studied COMPSTAT(look it up ,google the word). Now in smaller areas the stats might be different. For example a a city in tennessee with mAJORITY OF WHITES WILL HAVE HIGH CRIME RATE AND THE CRIME WILL BE CAUSED BY WHITES.
Like you say, you're only speaking for NYC. However, there are many cities outside of NYC that have just as large of a % of black residents, but a much lower per capita crime rate; even lower than some cities with a MUCH larger % of whites residents. Spokane is 91% white, 2% black. New Rochelle is 64 % white, 20% black. Spokane has a MUCH higher crime rate. That's an example of whites committing more crime per capita than blacks. It's that simple (You can check out those FBI crime stats by comparing cities) I can also make the same case with Virginia Beach (A large city by the way) which has a high % of black residents, but a per capita crime rate lower than many white cities.

The racist you're trying to defend stated "crime can be calculated by a function of race. The blacker the population, the higher the crime"

It looks like I just turned his argument over on its head.

Last edited by Yac; 11-25-2020 at 04:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York