Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 09:30 AM

414 posts, read 1,504,815 times

Advertisements

Ithica. it was the first one that popped in my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 04:38 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
I would think Seattle is worse as in the winter in upstate NY reflected light off the snow creates a certain brightness that you wouldn't get with pure rain. The worst time is Dec when daylight hours are short and before it snows. But, then you're consumed with holiday planning so it's not so bad.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:52 AM

7 posts, read 15,647 times
Hi! I am living in Dutchess County, NY ,have spent lots of time in the Catskills and by Syracuse(etc) and have lived in Wa/OR for 9 years. We are planning to go back to the NW! The cold can be very ,very hard upstate. It is not as grey as Seattle but when it is bitter, damp,hard cold I find it even harder to deal than the NW grey. I don't even want to go outside! We could always easily get out of the grey in the NW by going up to Mt hood or by doing a weekender over the mountains. Another huge issue for our family about this region is the deer ticks and Lyme disease. We are a very outdoorsy family. We work with horses, mountain bike, hike, have a small farm with chickens and turkeys and I,dh, son, dogs and horses have all had Lyme disease several times. It is nasty and can be very debilitating and often goes misdiagonsed. That is one of the main reasons we are going back to the NW. Just giving you a heads up in that department! Best of luck in your decision!

Old 09-29-2007, 11:26 AM

491 posts, read 1,433,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinjo View Post
Hi! I am living in Dutchess County, NY ,have spent lots of time in the Catskills and by Syracuse(etc) and have lived in Wa/OR for 9 years. We are planning to go back to the NW! The cold can be very ,very hard upstate. It is not as grey as Seattle but when it is bitter, damp,hard cold I find it even harder to deal than the NW grey. I don't even want to go outside! We could always easily get out of the grey in the NW by going up to Mt hood or by doing a weekender over the mountains. Another huge issue for our family about this region is the deer ticks and Lyme disease. We are a very outdoorsy family. We work with horses, mountain bike, hike, have a small farm with chickens and turkeys and I,dh, son, dogs and horses have all had Lyme disease several times. It is nasty and can be very debilitating and often goes misdiagonsed. That is one of the main reasons we are going back to the NW. Just giving you a heads up in that department! Best of luck in your decision!
Well don't come to PA or WV, ticks are crazy here. Just this summer I have been bit over 50 times while working outside. I was never bit once in NY.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:04 AM

88 posts, read 530,419 times
Default Liberal Town

That's easy! New Paltz NY. Small hippie, veggie loving, alternative lifesytle, natural/ organic healing & tree hugging town. They have a social scene while still in close proxmity to beautiful mountains/ rivers & sights. Lots of art, hiking and farms. If that's your sort of thing New Paltz should be your sort of town.

I went to SUNY New Paltz, that's how I discovered little place.

I hope this is helpful

Old 10-16-2007, 07:19 PM

3 posts, read 6,934 times
Someone posted about two eco-villages in the area.. can you give more info?

Old 10-16-2007, 08:26 PM

417 posts, read 1,890,874 times
here's one:

Ecovillage at Ithaca

and this site might lead to the other(s)

Ecovillage at Ithaca

Old 10-16-2007, 11:30 PM

172 posts, read 846,729 times
honeychrome's on the right track. The other one is called White Hawk, and has started construction just south of Ithaca, in the town of Danby.

White Hawk Ecovillage

Old 11-01-2007, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,168 times
Default Eugene, Oregon

If you still want to live in the Northwest, you must consider Eugene Oregon. It fits the description you want, but jobs are a little hard to find. However, if you are a vegetarian chef there is a multitude of restaraunts for you to work in. It's gorgeous there, with wonderful people, and the opportunity for many outdoor sports. There's also local natural food stores in each neighborhood. It's also a great place for families, and there's an international connection with the University of Oregon. Please check it out, it sounds like it is just what you want!

Old 11-01-2007, 06:22 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diacon33 View Post
I have been trying to figure out this cloudiness factors as well. I've been living in Seattle for about 17 years and my wife and I are looking to move to NY as well. I think the thing that stats dont say is the depth/type of cloudiness. From my review of this NY forum, the dreariness of Ithaca doesn't compare with Seattle. 1st we are further north and that loss of extra sun behind the clouds along with the added cloud thinkness in Seattle makes winter days much more oppressive. Add in the convergence zone in Seattle and it keeps clouds in place day after day between storm systems.

One other observation about cold. 20 degree cold with lower humidy is much better than a damp 30-40 which can chill a person much faster. I hope I am not wrong with my take on the information shared by so many people here in drawing my conclusion.
Contact NOAA (weather bureau) for the area you are looking at. Look at their website -- you can spend hours on different stats -- and find out what you want. If need be, you can call them; locations and #'s are there.

Good site for finding info on comfort in a site called Sperlings. Check their site and navigate to the part where you can plug in what you want and it will spit back a list of places at you. (It is consistent; I always get the same places. Fun to do)

Last edited by BuffaloTransplant; 11-01-2007 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York