Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 07:18 AM

4 posts, read 58,862 times

Advertisements

We currently live in upstate NY and are planning to move with two small kids to Dutchess county in summer 2011. We would like to specifically know about resources available for Indian (south asian) community. Here are some questions we have:
- How big is the Indian population there?
- Is there an Indian store close by?
- Are there services to provide Indian home cooked food? (I am not talking about restaurants, but ladies cooking Indian food, as is available in NYC and Queens areas)?
- Are there Indian dance/music classes easily available?
- In general, does Dutchess county provide a lot of child friendly sites and activities?
The reason for our decision to move there has to do with the possibility of having more Indian resources than we currently do, while at the same time maintaining a relatively affordable and quiet place in a good school district as we do now.
It would be absolutely invaluable to have inputs to our above questions.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 09:10 AM

540 posts, read 1,678,475 times
I don't recall any such areas as you're describing. Granted, I moved about 5 years ago, but having lived there 30+ years, I never saw such places. There ARE many child friendly places, as long as you aren't looking for racially/ethnically segregated ones. (which I hope you weren't )

The only places I ever got my Indian cooking supplies from was online or sometimes in an Asian grocery store. I think there was an Indian store in Fishkill or Wappingers, but their hours weren't good so I never went.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:15 AM

34 posts, read 95,992 times
A quick search gave me this (might want to call and ask for the info you requested here):

Hindu Temple & Indian Community Center
(845) 297-9061
3 Brown Rd
Wappingers Falls, NY 12590

If you do call, please post the results. I'm sure others are looking for the same info.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayasave View Post
[FONT=Arial]We currently live in upstate NY and are planning to move with two small kids to Dutchess county in summer 2011. We would like to specifically know about resources available for Indian (south asian) community. Here are some questions we have:
- How big is the Indian population there?
- Is there an Indian store close by?
- Are there services to provide Indian home cooked food? (I am not talking about restaurants, but ladies cooking Indian food, as is available in NYC and Queens areas)?
- Are there Indian dance/music classes easily available?
- In general, does Dutchess county provide a lot of child friendly sites and activities?
The reason for our decision to move there has to do with the possibility of having more Indian resources than we currently do, while at the same time maintaining a relatively affordable and quiet place in a good school district as we do now.
It would be absolutely invaluable to have inputs to our above questions.
Thank you![/FONT]

Hi
we just moved to wappingers falls
could you please tell me more about indian community around here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York