Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 02:29 PM

36 posts, read 86,197 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

Hoping you can help... We currently live in the greater Phoenix, Arizona area and we are looking to relocate.

A little about us:
We are in our early 30's, the parents of a special needs (heart defect) daughter who is adopted. We are looking for the idyllic "quaint" area. I grew up outside of San Francisco but went to high school in Sheboygan, WI and my husband grew up in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. We like the smaller communities and we're looking for a small town feel with some amenities. I'd like a community where one can get involved, one with good schools, a middle-class cost of living, and very safe. My daughter will require numerous heart surgeries over the course of her life, so we're looking at the top 25 pediatric cardiology facilities and searching a 45 mile radius around the area.

In Arizona, kids can't do sports in the summer because of the heat. No kids play outside, and after 5 years in my current home, I still don't know most of my neighbors. I'd like a town where kids play outside, the neighbors know one another, the town goes to the high school football games.

My husband is a claims adjuster for a large insurance company and works from home, so we're very flexible. I am a stay-at-home mother, so being able to do things with my child is important.

I enjoy a milder climate, but I'm flexible.

I appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 02:42 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
You need to give us a budget....

Old 11-03-2009, 03:35 PM

36 posts, read 86,197 times
It's hard to say- his income would obviously increase moving to the area b/c of the cost of living... We own a 3 bd, 2 ba home in the suburbs now. I can't see us spending more than 450k to buy or 2000/mo for rent.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:51 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchesefam View Post
It's hard to say- his income would obviously increase moving to the area b/c of the cost of living... We own a 3 bd, 2 ba home in the suburbs now. I can't see us spending more than 450k to buy or 2000/mo for rent.
Ok, well, you're in for a shock. You won't find this in NYC. I'll move the post to the general 'New York' section.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:40 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Does it have to be near NYC? In Syracuse, there is a new Children's Hospital: Upstate Golisano Children's Hospital:SUNY Upstate Medical University

It's an affordable area with a housing market in the top 10 in terms of affordablity and stability, has good school districts, is in a good location to many major cities in the NE and Canada, it's within an hour or so of the Adirondack Mountains, the Finger Lakes, the 1000 Islands, Cooperstown and Lake Ontario, among other places. Niagara Falls is only 2 and a half hours too.

It can get snowy and cold, but it gets taken care of in a timely manner.

A community that would be perfect for you would be Baldwinsville. Good school district, has a nice village with the Seneca River running through it, good fishing, about 15 minutes outside of Syracuse, it's safe, has a good HS Football team that gets it's share of support and has plenty of shopping close by. Some other area communities you might like are: Cazenovia, Hamilton, Chittenango, Canastota, Skaneateles, Marcellus and the Brewerton/Central Square area, among others.

Here's some information, you want to look at it: CNYREALTOR.COM | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.
CNYHomes - the Syracuse and Central New York Real Estate Source
Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau
Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Onondaga County, New York
Onondaga County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Central New York Jobs

New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information
https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/Home.do?year=2008 (broken link)

WELCOME TO THE VILLAGE OF BALDWINSVILLE
Baldwinsville Central School District
The Greater Baldwinsville Chamber of Commerce
Baldwinsville Public Library
Home
Contact and Intensity
Radisson Community
Radisson Community Association
Welcome to Van Buren (http://www.townofvanburen.com/public_documents/index - broken link)
THE TOWN OF LYSANDER NEW YORK
There is another planned community by the name of Village Green in the area too.

Some info. on the other communities mentioned too
Village of Hamilton - Welcome to Hamilton New York

Village of Cazenovia
Cazenovia Chamber of Commerce

Village of Canastota, NY

http://www.chittenango.org/

Welcome to the Official Web Site of Marcellus, New York!
Village of Marcellus, New York

Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce
Town Of Skaneateles Government Site

Old 11-04-2009, 04:12 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
You might want to look into areas in NJ. Although you might find a house you can afford, taxes in NJ are the highest in the country, so you do have to consider that when you buy. Look into Bergen, Passaic, and Morris counties.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:39 PM

I thought that Nyack, Suffern, Monroe or maybe something in Putnam County might fit the bill too.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Does it have to be near NYC? In Syracuse, there is a new Children's Hospital: Upstate Golisano Children's Hospital:SUNY Upstate Medical University

It's an affordable area with a housing market in the top 10 in terms of affordablity and stability, has good school districts, is in a good location to many major cities in the NE and Canada, it's within an hour or so of the Adirondack Mountains, the Finger Lakes, the 1000 Islands, Cooperstown and Lake Ontario, among other places. Niagara Falls is only 2 and a half hours too.

It can get snowy and cold, but it gets taken care of in a timely manner.

A community that would be perfect for you would be Baldwinsville. Good school district, has a nice village with the Seneca River running through it, good fishing, about 15 minutes outside of Syracuse, it's safe, has a good HS Football team that gets it's share of support and has plenty of shopping close by. Some other area communities you might like are: Cazenovia, Hamilton, Chittenango, Canastota, Skaneateles, Marcellus and the Brewerton/Central Square area, among others.

Here's some information, you want to look at it: CNYREALTOR.COM | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.
CNYHomes - the Syracuse and Central New York Real Estate Source
Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau
Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Onondaga County, New York
Onondaga County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Central New York Jobs

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/Home.do?year=2008 (broken link)

WELCOME TO THE VILLAGE OF BALDWINSVILLE
Baldwinsville Central School District
The Greater Baldwinsville Chamber of Commerce
Baldwinsville Public Library
Home
Contact and Intensity
Radisson Community
Radisson Community Association
Welcome to Van Buren (http://www.townofvanburen.com/public_documents/index - broken link)
THE TOWN OF LYSANDER NEW YORK
There is another planned community by the name of Village Green in the area too.

Some info. on the other communities mentioned too
Village of Hamilton - Welcome to Hamilton New York

Village of Cazenovia
Cazenovia Chamber of Commerce

Village of Canastota, NY

http://www.chittenango.org/

Welcome to the Official Web Site of Marcellus, New York!
Village of Marcellus, New York

Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce
Town Of Skaneateles Government Site
Also, I don't know if this could be an option, if you move here: Cardiac Services ::: St. Joseph's Hospital

I actually found the cardiology department at the new children's hospital: http://www.upstate.edu/gch/providers...partment_id=12
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York