U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-11-2016, 12:44 PM
 
1,713 posts, read 2,317,184 times
Reputation: 3050

Advertisements

What do you guys think of Hamlin Park in Buffalo? I've heard it referred to as the city of Buffalo's last black middle class stronghold. When I visited, it was still in-tact unlike the rest of the Eastside's neighborhood but still nothin to write home about
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2016, 02:27 PM
 
66,256 posts, read 92,133,561 times
Reputation: 14489
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
What do you guys think of Hamlin Park in Buffalo? I've heard it referred to as the city of Buffalo's last black middle class stronghold. When I visited, it was still in-tact unlike the rest of the Eastside's neighborhood but still nothin to write home about
I believe it is solid in some parts and I think the presence of college students from Cansius College may have an effect on the median household income in the neighborhood.

Like I mentioned earlier, the part of the Kensington Heights neighborhood next to Cheektowaga and into the Cleveland Hill neighborhood in Cheektowaga is likely the best bet in terms of a mostly Black neighborhood/area that is middle class in the area. This is the area of Buffalo I'm referring to: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9448...7i13312!8i6656

It is about 56% Black and has a median household income a little above the national figure according to 2010-2014 info. If you go east several blocks, you go into Cleveland Hill: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9432...7i13312!8i6656 I believe that the census block group that area is in is about 47% Black(and I believe the biggest group in plurality) and has a median household income in the mid/high 60's.

In Rochester, parts of the outer 19th Ward; the single family home area in the eastern half of Syracuse's Salt Springs neighborhood and parts of the Delaware Ave/South neighborhood in Albany are similar in that regard. I believe all of these neighborhoods/areas aren't too far from a college campus and may play a part as to why these neighborhoods are the way they are. You have other neighborhoods that are middle class and have at least a notable/decent Black percentage as well and are noted in the Upstate Black/African American community thread.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-11-2016 at 02:50 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 02:19 PM
 
66,256 posts, read 92,133,561 times
Reputation: 14489
So far, in regards to updated(2010-2014) information, it may look like Freeport has the predominately Black census block group with the highest median household income, as Census Block Group 414100-6 has a median household income of $141,365($147,313 for Black households) and is 68.9% Black(2010 info). Baldwin Schools appears to be the major school district serving that area, with parts in Freeport or Roosevelt Schools.

Census Block Group 303900-4 in Westbury(Westbury Schools) is 71.4% Black(2010 info) and has a median household income of $138,315($139,837 for Black households).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 10:50 AM
 
66,256 posts, read 92,133,561 times
Reputation: 14489
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
What do you guys think of Hamlin Park in Buffalo? I've heard it referred to as the city of Buffalo's last black middle class stronghold. When I visited, it was still in-tact unlike the rest of the Eastside's neighborhood but still nothin to write home about
Here are some articles/information about the neighborhood: Hamlin Park is Historic District - City & Region - The Buffalo News


The Hamlin Park Neighborhood: A Strong Community and One You Should be Seriously Considering – Buffalo Rising


Hamlin Park Historic District


http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...d-to-five.html


https://www.facebook.com/HamlinParkHD/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2016, 02:02 PM
 
66,256 posts, read 92,133,561 times
Reputation: 14489
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So far, in regards to updated(2010-2014) information, it may look like Freeport has the predominately Black census block group with the highest median household income, as Census Block Group 414100-6 has a median household income of $141,365($147,313 for Black households) and is 68.9% Black(2010 info). Baldwin Schools appears to be the major school district serving that area, with parts in Freeport or Roosevelt Schools.

Census Block Group 303900-4 in Westbury(Westbury Schools) is 71.4% Black(2010 info) and has a median household income of $138,315($139,837 for Black households).
Census Block Group 404901-4 in Elmont is up there, as it shows a median household income of $140,608($144,022 for black households according to 10-14 Census info for both) and is 72.3% Black(2010 Census info).


Census Block Group 061200-2 in SE Queens(Cambria Heights) has a median household income of $144,125($159,167 for Black households, according to 10-14 census info for both) and is 91.9% Black(2010 census info). So, that appears to be the highest so far.


Nevermind, as Census Block Group 063000-2 also in SE Queens(Laurelton) has a median household income of $147,656(only available info, according to 10-14 census info) and is 90.2% Black(2010 census info).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-08-2016 at 02:14 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2016, 05:24 PM
 
66,256 posts, read 92,133,561 times
Reputation: 14489
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Census Block Group 404901-4 in Elmont is up there, as it shows a median household income of $140,608($144,022 for black households according to 10-14 Census info for both) and is 72.3% Black(2010 Census info).


Census Block Group 061200-2 in SE Queens(Cambria Heights) has a median household income of $144,125($159,167 for Black households, according to 10-14 census info for both) and is 91.9% Black(2010 census info). So, that appears to be the highest so far.


Nevermind, as Census Block Group 063000-2 also in SE Queens(Laurelton) has a median household income of $147,656(only available info, according to 10-14 census info) and is 90.2% Black(2010 census info).
Census Block Group 406202-3 in Lakeview(CDP) on Long Island has a median household income of $158,625($157,875 for Black households according to 2010-2014 census information). It is 80.9% Black(2010 census info). So, this is the most affluent predominately/mostly Black census block group in the state, thus far.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2016, 04:04 PM
 
66,256 posts, read 92,133,561 times
Reputation: 14489
Quote:
Originally Posted by moeshak View Post
Thinking of relocating to new and is looking for upper middle class african-american communities. Areas of interest---Organge, Rockland, Westchester & NYC areas
Some updated census block groups in these counties that could fit are: Census Block Group 004100-3 in Mount Vernon, which has a median household income of $111,250(10-14 info) and is 78.5% Black(2010 info).


Census Block Group 004200-2 in Mount Vernon has a median household income of $118,780(10-14 info) and is 54.3% Black(2010 info).


Census Block Group 004400-1 in Mount Vernon has a median household of $114,036(10-14 info) and is 47.1% Black(2010 info, largest percentage in plurality)


Census Block Group 006400-3 in New Rochelle has a median household of $101,399 and is 60.8% Black.


Census Block Group 010902-2 in the North White Plains area(Greenburgh and/or Valhalla Schools) has a median household income of $101,422 and is 67.2% Black.


Census Block Group 010902-4 also in the North White Plains area(Greenburgh Schools) has a median household income of $112,250 and is 55.2% Black.


Census Block Group 011504-2 in Hillcrest has a median household income of $108,333 and is 54% Black.


Census Block Group 011504-3 also in Hillcrest has a median household income of $100,192 and is 59.5% Black.


There may be others that could work, as the information may have been close, but these appear to be the best bets.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2016, 06:01 PM
 
5,721 posts, read 5,838,330 times
Reputation: 3615
That's a good list, ckh. I would also mention the co-op city section of the Bronx.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2016, 06:44 PM
 
66,256 posts, read 92,133,561 times
Reputation: 14489
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
That's a good list, ckh. I would also mention the co-op city section of the Bronx.
Yes, I believe that there is a census block group or two in the nearby Eastchester and Edenwald areas of the Bronx as well. I'll try to post them when I find that info again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2016, 08:32 AM
 
66,256 posts, read 92,133,561 times
Reputation: 14489
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes, I believe that there is a census block group or two in the nearby Eastchester and Edenwald areas of the Bronx as well. I'll try to post them when I find that info again.
I did see that one census block group in Edenwald(Census Block Group 042600-6) came very close, as it has an updated median household income of $99,240(10-14 census info) and is 87.3% Black (2010 info).


Another census block group within that census tract in Edenwald(Census Block Group 042600-4) was also pretty close as its median household income is $91,379(10-14 info) and it is 84.8% Black(2010 info).


Census Block Group 048400-3 is a very small census block group that is around Seton Falls Park in Edenwald, not too far from Eastchester that has a median household income of $116,354 and is 78.2% Black.




The census block group in/near Co-Op City that would be considered a mostly Black middle class area is Census Block Group 030200-3, which has/had a median household income of $86,250 and is 58.3% Black. It is east of the Hutchinson River Parkway/I-95 intersection.


I'll look a little bit more, but you do have some other census block groups in that NE part of the Bronx that are predominately Black and have median household incomes that may be viewed as at least lower middle class in the 70's-high 80,000's.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top