Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 07:43 AM

51 posts, read 348,323 times

Advertisements

I hear Mt Vernon is a dump. Wouldn't recommend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 09:24 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Hahaha! Please tell me your kidding. Those are FAR from middle class Black neighborhoods.
Tell that to Maya Angelou, who's bought a two family Brownstone on 120th and Morningside, now worth $3.4 million.

Although there's low income, there are plenty of middle class Blacks in Bed Stuy and Clinton Hill. Those brownstones are very attractive, and you'll find some have owned their property for years!

With regard to single-family homes, Southeast Queens has been an African-American mainstay since the end of WWII. In fact, Queens is the only county in America where Black median income is more than whites. Just like Abyssinian in Harlem, Allen Cathedral is doing a lot of development in Southeastern Queens.

Only one thing....stay away from those private lenders and subprime mortgages, which have decimated much of that area. On the other hand, you could get a nice foreclosure in SEQ.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:55 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Tell that to Maya Angelou, who's bought a two family Brownstone on 120th and Morningside, now worth $3.4 million.

Although there's low income, there are plenty of middle class Blacks in Bed Stuy and Clinton Hill. Those brownstones are very attractive, and you'll find some have owned their property for years!

With regard to single-family homes, Southeast Queens has been an African-American mainstay since the end of WWII. In fact, Queens is the only county in America where Black median income is more than whites. Just like Abyssinian in Harlem, Allen Cathedral is doing a lot of development in Southeastern Queens.

Only one thing....stay away from those private lenders and subprime mortgages, which have decimated much of that area. On the other hand, you could get a nice foreclosure in SEQ.
Area is a low income ghetto. His income status is a minority there and due to the conditions of the neighborhoods I wouldn't even call him middle class. Harlem is a low income struggling neighborhood, from the Harlem to the Hudson River. The neighbohood is full of poverty.

While he paid 3.4 Million dollars for a brownstone (or whatever the price at the time), his neighbors are paying 200 dollars a month on section 8. I would never pay big money like that for Harlem.

Crown Heights/Bedstuy same as above.

As for southeast Queens income, a lot of that has to do with Cambria Heights.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Area is a low income ghetto. His income status is a minority there and due to the conditions of the neighborhoods I wouldn't even call him middle class. Harlem is a low income struggling neighborhood, from the Harlem to the Hudson River. The neighbohood is full of poverty.

While he paid 3.4 Million dollars for a brownstone (or whatever the price at the time), his neighbors are paying 200 dollars a month on section 8. I would never pay big money like that for Harlem.

Crown Heights/Bedstuy same as above.

As for southeast Queens income, a lot of that has to do with Cambria Heights.
Uh, Maya Angelou is a woman...a famous woman at that....a world renowned author and poet!

Residing in North Carolina, Angelou was looking for a brownstone in Harlem and told friends in New York about it. Ashford and Simpson saw the property, and put down 10K. Angelou got it the property, dilapidated at the time, for an undisclosed sum! After renovations plus appreciation, it's now worth $3.4 million.

Hustla, I have to disagree with with regard to places to avoid. Seems like famous and upper income people are trying to hop to Harlem. Thou shall not live on Compstat alone!

Read this.....

....plus, read a book by Lance Freeman called "There Goes The Hood: Gentrification from the Ground Up"

....and see Harlem for yourself! I did, and, even with the hangouts at 125 and Lex, it's better than it was in the late 70s! Oh, yeah, how do you explain British guys giving my mom directions on 125th Street?

Old 06-20-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Uh, Maya Angelou is a woman...a famous woman at that....a world renowned author and poet!

Residing in North Carolina, Angelou was looking for a brownstone in Harlem and told friends in New York about it. Ashford and Simpson saw the property, and put down 10K. Angelou got it the property, dilapidated at the time, for an undisclosed sum! After renovations plus appreciation, it's now worth $3.4 million.

Hustla, I have to disagree with with regard to places to avoid. Seems like famous and upper income people are trying to hop to Harlem. Thou shall not live on Compstat alone!

Read this.....

....plus, read a book by Lance Freeman called "There Goes The Hood: Gentrification from the Ground Up"

....and see Harlem for yourself! I did, and, even with the hangouts at 125 and Lex, it's better than it was in the late 70s! Oh, yeah, how do you explain British guys giving my mom directions on 125th Street?
Well 10k is a good deal for a home. So she came off lucky. However anyone who would pay 3.4 million for it now is an idiot.

As for E 125th Street and Lex. I know that location well. It's a robbery hot spot. That Pathmark is home to a lot of illegal activity, which is why so many people hang out there.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Well 10k is a good deal for a home. So she came off lucky. However anyone who would pay 3.4 million for it now is an idiot.

As for E 125th Street and Lex. I know that location well. It's a robbery hot spot. That Pathmark is home to a lot of illegal activity, which is why so many people hang out there.
The 10K was the deposit.

Is it just me, or do you seriously believe that all predominantly neighborhoods of color are to be avoided?

Old 06-20-2007, 02:12 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,058 times
I would recommend Mount Vernon. The northern part of the city is very nice. The area around Esplanade, near Central Mount Vernon, is predominantly black and is full of large, well maintained homes.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:19 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,058 times
p.s. I believe the name of that neighborhood in Mount Vernon is Oakwood Heights.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:21 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
Is that the neighborhood next to Bronxville? Thats the one I was talking about previously. Drove thru there one day (after driving thru Bronxville and being in awe of the ammount of wealth in that town) and was seriously impressed with the housing stock. Saw lots of black folks driving expensive BMWs and Mercedes.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:20 AM

Quote:
The 10K was the deposit.

Is it just me, or do you seriously believe that all predominantly neighborhoods of color are to be avoided?
I recomended Cambria Heights, a Black neighborhood. An actual middle class area. Harlem is NOT.

Sadly, most Black and Latino areas in the city are horrible neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York