Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 06:39 PM

23 posts, read 104,223 times

Advertisements

Hello, all -

Yes, I'm/we're back.

We had pretty much settled on upper Westchester for our move to NY. But in spite of two months of looking and traveling out there from the Chicago area to find a place, we've yet to find one in our budget - even the sublets are apparantly crazy-expensive (well, for us, anyway).

Now we're trying yet another angle.

Might any of you commute to NYC from even FARTHER away than upper Westchester?

We're open to any and all suggestions - we will need to go to the city probably once or twice a week (so not daily) - we will need at least one bedroom (not a studio) preferably two, or one and a den/nook/something that can be used as an office - we would like to use the trains if at all possible (but can drive occasionally) - would like to be near "town stuff" aka grocery, bank, etc. - and if we're going to have to settle for being really far away fro NYC (even two hours or so), we'd like our rent to be around $800-1000.

So does anyone do this? Commute from way out on Long Island, or somewhere nice in NJ, or Pennsylvania or... don't know! Wherever else you think might work - a short commute would've been great, if we had the bucks - but we figure 2 hours from NYC is better than the 18 hours we're away from NYC now.

Hoping to hear from you - thanks as always!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 07:00 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyarts View Post

So does anyone do this? Commute from way out on Long Island, or somewhere nice in NJ, or Pennsylvania or... don't know! Wherever else you think might work - a short commute would've been great, if we had the bucks - but we figure 2 hours from NYC is better than the 18 hours we're away from NYC now.
I have teachers at school who commute from CT. Also Sag Harbor and Manhasset. Might wanna look into those?

Old 11-13-2009, 07:32 PM

Thank you for your answer -

Connecticut has always seemed nice when we've driven through - any idea of $800-1000 rent is a reasonable expectation there? Any suggested towns that are on the train line?

Sag Harbor and Manhasset -- are those on Long Island? On train line as well?

Old 11-13-2009, 07:58 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Manhasset is close-in, and it's not inexpensive, so I would not recommend bothering with that area. Sag Harbor is The Hamptons area (generically speaking), and is going to be a tad more expensive than the range you are seeking.

You can commute from someplace like Easton, PA in the Lehigh Valley that has bus service to Manhattan. Easton is about an hour and a half from Manhattan. Bucks County is also commutable, as there is bus service to NYC, but the area sits closer to Philadelphia. The Doylestown area would be a good bet, which is about 2 hours to Manhattan. Doylestown is about an hour to Philadelphia as well. Another option might be to drive to Newark and catch the PATH train to Manhattan, avoiding the bus. Easton is about an hour from Newark, and Doylestown is about an hour and a hallf.

In New York, I would look to the Hudson Valley, somewhere around New Paltz, about an hour and a half from the city. Hyde Park would be a consideration as well. Some areas along the Hudson look promising from a rent perspective, but the areas are a mixture of good and bad areas, with the smaller communities surrounding larger cities/towns having the best options for nice, quaint communities. Additionally, you might find something in Suffolk County on Long Island, but it might be a tight budget for a 1-2BR in a good area.

In Connecticut, you might find something for a good price, relatively close-in, around Danbury, though parts of Danbury are not as nice, which can be a problem with some of the cities in Connecticut -- some areas are not the best, though the prices don't always reflect that. You can commute via Harlem Line train from Danbury, but you will need to catch the HART bus, or drive to a station like Brewster. In the same general area, you might extend your search to Bethel, since it's right near Danbury and has a quaint downtown area. It's easier to take the train on the Harlem Line than to take the Danbury Branch of the New Haven Line train, since that train route takes nearly two-hours to Grand Central, and it's only 65 miles or so. And, there's limited service on the branch lines.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-13-2009, 09:49 PM

Thanks very much!! That was a lot of info, we really appreciate it. A nice village/downtown area is definitely something we'd like, as well as train access. I think you hit every direction, north, south, east, and west! Great. Will be researching all of these places.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:39 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Sorry to sound negative, but I wouldn't recommend commuting daily from New Platz to Manhattan. It will ware you down pretty fast. Same thing with PA.
A little better option might be Putnam/Dutchess county - places like Peekskill, Cold Spring or even Beacon.
As someone who commuted long distances, all I can say is that it depends on the time of day. Driving back and forth at rush hours is a killer. If you have flexible working hours, or don't need to do it daily (telecommuting part time) it greatly helps.
From the places I suggested, you can catch the Hudson line which takes about 1 hour into the city. However, you end up at the Grand Central terminal which is 42 st. It's not bad if you work in midtown. If you need to get downtown to the wall street area, then plan on 40 additional min at least.

Last edited by oberon_1; 11-13-2009 at 11:57 PM..

Old 11-14-2009, 08:43 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Sorry to sound negative, but I wouldn't recommend commuting daily from New Platz to Manhattan. It will ware you down pretty fast. Same thing with PA.
A little better option might be Putnam/Dutchess county - places like Peekskill, Cold Spring or even Beacon.
As someone who commuted long distances, all I can say is that it depends on the time of day. Driving back and forth at rush hours is a killer. If you have flexible working hours, or don't need to do it daily (telecommuting part time) it greatly helps.
From the places I suggested, you can catch the Hudson line which takes about 1 hour into the city. However, you end up at the Grand Central terminal which is 42 st. It's not bad if you work in midtown. If you need to get downtown to the wall street area, then plan on 40 additional min at least.
They're not daily commuters, once or twice a week, otherwise I would not recommend looking to exurbs, either.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-14-2009, 11:03 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
Quote:

We're open to any and all suggestions - we will need to go to the city probably once or twice a week (so not daily) - we will need at least one bedroom (not a studio) preferably two, or one and a den/nook/something that can be used as an office - we would like to use the trains if at all possible (but can drive occasionally) - would like to be near "town stuff" aka grocery, bank, etc. - and if we're going to have to settle for being really far away fro NYC (even two hours or so), we'd like our rent to be around $800-1000.

So does anyone do this? Commute from way out on Long Island, or somewhere nice in NJ, or Pennsylvania or... don't know!
Hoping to hear from you - thanks as always!
ROFL on finding cheaper rent out on Long Island. But all is not hopeless.

Since you wouldn't mind going 2 hours, check upstate in the lower catskills - Monticello (there's a train station in Middletown) and check out western NJ along route 78 - Warren, Hunterdon, and Somerset Counties - towns like Clinton, Washington, Flemington.

I'm still not sure you'll find anything in the $800 range, and definitely not closer to the city at that price. In Jersey City (across the river from lower and midtown Manhattan), 2 bedrooms are going for $1800 (average). Check out a map of the greater NYC area and you'll see the towns/counties available. Remember that anything within 1/2 hour will be way over your budget.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:57 PM

Thanks, everyone - oberon_1, might you know of any neighborhoods in those towns (Peekskill, Beacon, Cold Spring?) how are the downtowns/shopping areas? Any cafes, etc. that might be fun?

NY Annie, same for your suggestions - what is your opinion of what the downtown areas are like? Cute and something we'd want to "hang out" in, or not so much?

Thanks again!

Old 11-14-2009, 06:12 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Quote:
Thanks, everyone - oberon_1, might you know of any neighborhoods in those towns (Peekskill, Beacon, Cold Spring?) how are the downtowns/shopping areas? Any cafes, etc. that might be fun?
Thanks again!
All 3 places are a mixed bag. Some folks refer to Peekskill and Cold Spring as nice towns with an artsy twist. (There are several galleries, shops and coffee houses). Others consider them "not so great" neighborhoods. I guess its a personal choice. My only recommendation is to visit them in person and get a first hand impression. The reason I mentioned these, is because they are on the river (which is nice), their real estate cost is still reasonable when compared to the city and a train line connects them to Manhattan. In a little more then an hour, you are in the city. No need to change trains. If you have teens who need to commute to the city, its safe and better then other options (besides mom or dad driving them).
But again, some people compare them to lower Westchester towns or Greenwich and they are not the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York