Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 01:40 PM

36 posts, read 81,367 times

Advertisements

I am single early 20's African American female looking to moving from Baton Rouge, La to Waterloo, NY. I have an extensive background in childcare ( with Montessori training) and would be opening a family childcare from my home. -- Nothing out the basement. I am a stickler for my preschool environment being spacey (ie separate play, work and sleeping areas). So ideally the home would be two levels where I live upstairs and the entire downstairs area dedicated to the preschool. --

Though I wonder would I have any issues with my ethnicity.... or With my business surviving in this area?

Thanks =D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 02:40 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,739,929 times
How on earth did you pick Waterloo? It's a beautiful village with relatively inexpensive housing, but there are many such in upstate NY.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:54 PM

92,527 posts, read 122,761,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissIvy View Post
I am single early 20's African American female looking to moving from Baton Rouge, La to Waterloo, NY. I have an extensive background in childcare ( with Montessori training) and would be opening a family childcare from my home. -- Nothing out the basement. I am a stickler for my preschool environment being spacey (ie separate play, work and sleeping areas). So ideally the home would be two levels where I live upstairs and the entire downstairs area dedicated to the preschool. --

Though I wonder would I have any issues with my ethnicity.... or With my business surviving in this area?

Thanks =D
I don't think you have anything to worry about. While the Black percentage is pretty low, they are there. Nearby is Geneva, which has a decent sized Black community(about 10-12%). There are also some other communities like Lyons, Clyde, Newark, Sodus and Auburn that are nearby with noticable to decent sized Black communities as well. Rochester, Ithaca and Syracuse aren't too far from Waterloo as well.

If you think that it might be tough in terms of business, try getting your business out by going to the churches in Geneva or possibly the other communities nearby as well.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:40 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,565,938 times
Glad you're coming! Yet, I too am wondering why you chose Waterloo. It's a small town surrounded by rural communities. However, it does have an awesome outlet mall!

Old 11-23-2009, 09:07 PM

99 posts, read 287,972 times
Waterloo is a great rural community, I can see why you seem to favor it. Childcare is always in demand and although my kids are grown, I would look at the quality of the person, not the color of the skin if I needed that service. Most likely, that is the attitude you will find in Waterloo and most other communities in the general area. One thing I would suggest, and this pertains to any business plans, is to conduct a bit of a market study in advance to see if the numbers you need are there prior to committing. Many business ventures fail due to this one thing being neglected.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you good fortune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York