Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 10:00 PM

4 posts, read 12,556 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
My husband and I are thinking about moving from CA to New York. I was born and raised in Long Island and would like to avoid that area as well as in Manhattan.

I am hoping for some suggestions on places to raise a family in either upstate New York, Conn. or Penn. A place where commuting would be feasable to Manhattan and the homes are in the 450-600k range.

So far we have looked at Nyack, New City, Stamford. All seem really nice but I am interested in some feedback and personal experience.
Priorities:

1. Nice land, spacious
2. Good school systems
3. Less then an hour commute to manhattan
4. Good place for outdoor activities (scenic)

Any help is really appreciated!
Monica and Billy

Last edited by mbrennan11; 11-27-2009 at 10:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 11:13 PM

449 posts, read 873,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennan11 View Post
Hi All,
My husband and I are thinking about moving from CA to New York. I was born and raised in Long Island and would like to avoid that area as well as in Manhattan.

I am hoping for some suggestions on places to raise a family in either upstate New York, Conn. or Penn. A place where commuting would be feasable to Manhattan and the homes are in the 450-600k range.

So far we have looked at Nyack, New City, Stamford. All seem really nice but I am interested in some feedback and personal experience.
Priorities:

1. Nice land, spacious
2. Good school systems
3. Less then an hour commute to manhattan
4. Good place for outdoor activities (scenic)

Any help is really appreciated!
Monica and Billy
Check out Monroe, NY. It is a pleasant place to live.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:51 PM

thank you very much. we'll check it out.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:06 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,842,947 times
Just keep in mind that being on the WEST side of the Hudson significantly complicates and lengthens the commute to NYC.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:34 PM

91,974 posts, read 122,078,964 times
I'm thinking a look at communities like Dobbs Ferry, Irvington, Croton, Tuckahoe, Eastchester and pelham, among others would be good. Even parts of the cities of New Rochelle and White Plains could be options as well.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:12 AM

701 posts, read 3,312,175 times
Nyack, New City, Tappan, Orangeburg, Suffern, will all meet your general requirements from Rockland County. But, be warned, that commuting from Rockland County can be a pretty bad headache.
Though, if you are commuting to the Penn Station area -- There are some trains from Suffern that make the commute bearable. You will also find nice homes in your price range in Suffern, as well as the other priorities.
You wouldn't want to live in Spring Valley, but if you can live near Spring Valley, take a look at the bus schedules, as that would be the quickest commute.

Looking in Westchester would reduce your commute, considerably. Your budget is tight for Westchester, but for example -- You can probably find a nice home in Croton on Hudson, which would meet all your priorities as well.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:44 AM

9,520 posts, read 30,346,826 times
been in the same boat for awhile, raised on LI, 15+ years in San Diego, so sick of the nonsense here.

Agree with you re: avoiding Long Island, the tough part is the commute...

Westchester is very expensive (and very nice). West side of the river has the nicest communities in the 400k+ range (Pearl River) and I always liked that area. Northern portions of NJ also very nice (my uncle is in Hillsdale and it is gorgeous) but is very expensive with high taxes. East side of the river you have to either go further north up towards White Plains or deal with pocket areas and spotty schools / cities.

Not sure there is a happy medium... most people just eat the long commute to get into the best areas. From my visits most NYC metro is seeing the same deterioration that CA suburbs have been seeing for 20+ years.... working and middle class there is being gutted and modest communities are becoming full of rentals. It is happening more slowly than it happens in CA but it is happening. Although, 600k will probably get you into a pretty top-notch area in NY metro which should insulate you on some level.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:55 AM

Very interesting and helpful feed back! We have been looking into each suggestiion made. The town Croton seems really nice so far as well as Dobbs Ferry. We have mainly been looking on Realtor.com. Do you guys find any other sites more accurate?
The responses to our post have already been super useful.
Thanks all!

Old 12-07-2009, 11:58 AM

Wow! That was fast!
Thanks so much for helping us. If you ever need info on Northern CA we can be useful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York