Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:04 PM

417 posts, read 1,887,276 times

Advertisements

My wife's mother, who is prone to conjuring up unecessary fears in her mind, sent us a link to an article about Islamburg, NY. We're 50 miles from the place, but I think in her mind its right next door...

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/paul-williams051107.htm (broken link)

If the link doesn't work, googling "Islamburg" and Paul Williams will find it. For the most part I think it is sensationalist and racist nonsense. The sound of guns on the weekends? No Trespassing signs? Run-down trailers? Muddy lanes? Pretty much sounds like normal upstate NY. Still, its an unexpected 'presence,' and I wondered if anyone here had heard anything about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 05:03 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,235,817 times
This isn't the first time a paramilitary group has established a compound in the Catskills. Scary isn't it?

Old 01-17-2008, 09:55 PM

214 posts, read 473,159 times
Your mother is wise .

Old 01-20-2008, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 8,266 times
Default islamburg has been there for at least 30 years!

We have lived 5 miles from Islamburg all of our lives. In the early 80's the Feds were all over the place. They really do guard the camp with AK's, all the rumors about this place are true. If the power company or phone company has to go in they are always watched by a guard. The men all go to school right at the camp, alot of the women and children live in Deposit and Hancock on Welfare. Before the 1st WTC bombing the feds were up here again, and some of the main players ere hiding at the camp before and after the 2nd bombing. There was a small mention of Roods Creek NY in Newsweek around that period, that's where the camp is. Right in between Hancock and Deposit, only 3 hours from the city on Rte 17, nice huh?

Old 03-24-2009, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 9,103 times
Paramilitary!!!??? Not exactly! This is a well hidden middle eastern terrorist compound established by a Pakistani cleric know to the US gov't. to be associated with terrorist groups. I knew Osama Binladen was coming here by what I had been reading in the papers for more than a year prior! Was our gov't. prepared? Ummmm..... no!!! That's because they collectively suffer from the 'we are unapproachable' syndrome - are you suffering from those types of delusions as well? Listen to the wisdom of your wife's mother - don't underestimate this group!

Old 03-25-2009, 09:59 PM

718 posts, read 2,320,451 times
Three hours from the city is not remotely as bad as the fact that this camp is down the street from the Cannonsville reservoir. This is a terrorist attack waiting to happen. What happened to homeland security?

The American government has sucker stamped on its forehead.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:34 AM

236 posts, read 386,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Three hours from the city is not remotely as bad as the fact that this camp is down the street from the Cannonsville reservoir. This is a terrorist attack waiting to happen. What happened to homeland security?

The American government has sucker stamped on its forehead.

Easy DICT, easy! I'm more than sure that those guys as well as the camp are closely watched!!! As I believe, US government is one of the most concerned of public security in the world. But people living around the place can do something more for monitoring the activity in the camp. You can establish an NGO or public monitoring group. Just get registered or inform sheriff. This could be your initiative, DICT.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:47 PM

26 posts, read 94,898 times
Hay Chihuahua! ..and we were concerned about living 5 hrs north of the war in Ciudad Jaurez.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:49 PM

26 posts, read 94,898 times
The Rookery--Axtell Antiques was always an excellent antiques shop/18th century preserved tavern in Deposit. Otherwise Deposit always seemed a little Twilight Zonish. I DO miss the rednecks even thought I'm far from being one or liked by one.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:56 AM

425 posts, read 1,091,067 times
Gee, why do you think this isn't even on the US Terror Watchlist?

I did Google this, and just about every link was to a far right wing nutty blog about the place. I'm not claiming to know anything about it, but I found it funny that there was a picture of the guy standing right next to a big "Welcome" sign and the paragraph next to it talked about how you can't get near the place.

It seems to me that if it were that dangerous, it would at least be on the government's watch list:

Quote:
From the NY Daily News in 2002:

Authorities cautioned that the organization's two other spinoffs - one of them a 300-member Catskills compound called Islamberg - have no history of violence.

"Gilani's involvement in other activities over in Pakistan doesn't mean it involves Muslims of the Americas," said FBI agent Stephen Benjamin in upstate Binghamton, whose agency tracks Al-Fuqra activities.

For years, Al-Fuqra was under surveillance by the FBI as a possible terrorist organization, but it is no longer on the list, officials said.

"There have been nothing in the last 10 years to involve the Al-Fuqra, at least in New York," said Capt. Thomas Kelly of the New York State Police bureau of criminal investigation.

New York University Prof. Robert Dannin, an anthropologist and expert on Al-Fuqra, questioned whether Muslim groups in the U.S. have any links to Pakistani radicals.

"We're not talking about people who are terrorists," he said.

CLERIC HAD B'KLYN SECT (http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/2002/02/02/2002-02-02_cleric_had_b_klyn_sect.html - broken link)
As for gunfire being heard in the woods in upstate NY - that's a daily thing. I hear it around my house all the time. It's called the dinner bell in these parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York