Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 02:07 PM

92,031 posts, read 122,173,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad231 View Post
Not much difference, people in the Rochester burbs think they are better and more sophisticated than those in Cuse and Buffalo. Its like a Hatfield looking down at a McCoy.
On this one, I will say that you are not the first person that I know that has said this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 12:14 PM

466 posts, read 977,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
On this one, I will say that you are not the first person that I know that has said this.
As someone who grew up in the Rochester suburbs, it's generally true. The people aren't any better in those suburbs, but I do think the suburbs themselves are much, much better than those in Syracuse or Buffalo.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
As someone who grew up in the Rochester suburbs, it's generally true. The people aren't any better in those suburbs, but I do think the suburbs themselves are much, much better than those in Syracuse or Buffalo.
I don't know so much if they are "better", but i will say that the suburbs in the Rochester area "flow together" better than the ones in the Buffalo and Syracuse areas. What I mean by that is the way they are developed and unlike the Syracuse and buffalo areas, Rochester doesn't have the blue collar suburban villages/cities with the exception of East Rochester. Even with East Rochester, it isn't a village that is connected to Rochester the way say Solvay and East Syracuse are in the Syracuse area or Lackawanna, Tonawanda and Kenmore are in the Buffalo area. So, it makes the Rochester suburbs look newer than the suburbs in the other two areas and this is because they don't have such communities right next to the city of Rochester like the other two do.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:51 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,529,042 times
I'll take the suburbs of any of the 3 cities over suburbs of the "newer" cities of the south & west which are little more than endless tree less fields of cul de sac subdivisions.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
I'll take the suburbs of any of the 3 cities over suburbs of the "newer" cities of the south & west which are little more than endless tree less fields of cul de sac subdivisions.
Yeah, the suburbs "down South" are more spread out. That is the case even for the mid-szied areas too.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:43 PM

107 posts, read 505,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
If they were siblings, this is who they'd be:
Buffalo is the big, athletic brother, the one who gave noogies & mushed mash potatoes in the other kids face when they were younger, but now sits on the couch all day drinking and telling you about that one time in high school he scored that touchdown that won the state championship. He's probably not employed.
Syracuse is smart, youngest brother, who's kind of a slacker. He's a musician. Can meet women, but can't seem to keep them. He has a bachelors degree in philosophy. 'Nuff said. Also probably not employed - at least not steadily.
Rochester is the sister who's employed as a front end manager at Wegmans. She has an associates degree and a job, so compared to her siblings, she's got a pretty good head on her shoulders. However, cousins Charlotte, Raliegh, Orlando and Tampa are all well paid professionals, so at the end of the day Rochester realizes she's just average, like aunt Peoria used to be.

Awesome!

Old 01-01-2010, 05:51 PM

107 posts, read 505,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
If they were siblings, this is who they'd be:
Buffalo is the big, athletic brother, the one who gave noogies & mushed mash potatoes in the other kids face when they were younger, but now sits on the couch all day drinking and telling you about that one time in high school he scored that touchdown that won the state championship. He's probably not employed.
Syracuse is smart, youngest brother, who's kind of a slacker. He's a musician. Can meet women, but can't seem to keep them. He has a bachelors degree in philosophy. 'Nuff said. Also probably not employed - at least not steadily.
Rochester is the sister who's employed as a front end manager at Wegmans. She has an associates degree and a job, so compared to her siblings, she's got a pretty good head on her shoulders. However, cousins Charlotte, Raliegh, Orlando and Tampa are all well paid professionals, so at the end of the day Rochester realizes she's just average, like aunt Peoria used to be.
That means that...

Albany has to be the older slutty sister who got knocked up by some crooked politician and he bought her a house to keep her quiet. Work is beneath her so she watches Judge Judy all day while her sugar-daddy pays the rent. She thinks she's better than the rest of her family and they're jealous 'cause she's living the dream. But whenever her neighbor down the street, NYC, calls her a wh*re, she phones her siblings and they're all there in 5 minutes carrying baseball bats.

Binghamton is the red-headed smart-mouth who Dad used to smack around after a few beers. He bears an uncanny resemblance to the neighbor Scranton, but Mom's lips are sealed. He smells like a musty basement and he always wears a dirty suit that was out-of-fashion even when he bought it. He's bitter and sullen and spends his time sitting on a bar stool at the Elks Lodge talking about the "good ole days" when he worked for pennies in a shoe factory.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator Projection View Post
That means that...

Albany has to be the older slutty sister who got knocked up by some crooked politician and he bought her a house to keep her quiet. Work is beneath her so she watches Judge Judy all day while her sugar-daddy pays the rent. She thinks she's better than the rest of her family and they're jealous 'cause she's living the dream. But whenever her neighbor down the street, NYC, calls her a wh*re, she phones her siblings and they're all there in 5 minutes carrying baseball bats.

Binghamton is the red-headed smart-mouth who Dad used to smack around after a few beers. He bears an uncanny resemblance to the neighbor Scranton, but Mom's lips are sealed. He smells like a musty basement and he always wears a dirty suit that was out-of-fashion even when he bought it. He's bitter and sullen and spends his time sitting on a bar stool at the Elks Lodge talking about the "good ole days" when he worked for pennies in a shoe factory.
Where's Utica, Schenectady, Troy and Niagara Falls?

Old 01-01-2010, 08:00 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,529,042 times
Niagara Falls is the girl that was the prettiest & most popular in high school, she had all the boys wrapped around her finger. She had a bright future ahead of her until she started hanging with the wrong crowd & became a crack ho.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:03 AM

70 posts, read 431,410 times
I love ALL your answers! This is why I want to come back to NEW YORK after being away for 20 years. Of course I lived in the southern part of the state in "NEW YORK" but left after getting tired of the "I'm to sexy for my shirt' attitude every last NY city person had, that an the center of the universe attitude they had.
NO NEW YORK CITY really doesn't: know it all, have it all or create it all. lol Having said that, I find people all over New York State wonderfully refreshing in their ability to think and speak with clarity. I miss it.
My husband got laid off from his job 2 years ago here in the 'oh so polite' Northwest. He did elect. tech stuff on Ultrasound equipment. Then he got his BS (which didn't do anything for his career) and now is getting a certificate in Medical Assisting, which should at least get him in the door so he can use all his other experience. At least we can dreem.
I so want to come home to NY State. I love it, love the people..... but alas, even if he did get a good entry level job, the property taxes and price of electricity would kill us. We have enough saved to get a 'blue collar' special of a house somewhere not to unsafe, and that would be fine, but the property taxes...
So, alas, we are having to look at OMAHA NE. Prices on houses are almost as low as in Rochester, taxes are way lower (by 60%), electricity is CHEAP, and unemployment is 4.5. And there are 4 universities 9 hospitals and 6 medical centers in the region, which means my husband will surely work.... But it won't be NY. I'm never going to be able to go home again. Be around people I'm comfortable with, drive down to long Island and fight for a space on the beach, eat real pizza, be able to have conversations that are honest (if a little less polite than Seattle). I will die in a strange land away from the people that I love. All because of the dam property taxes and not having enough money to buy the house in the safe neighborhood (I only have $70,000 to spend on a house).
sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I feel so sorry for myself. And of course being sad is not permitted in the GrayNorthWet (Seattle) we must be POSITIVE. right.
I want to come home before I can't come home. But work even as an MA might be hard to find for my husband, and property taxes and electric bills might make our home unaffordable, and I can't afford a duplex. That would have been ideal but the money is just not therel
Oh well. At least I grew up in one of the most interesting places in the world. You all are so very lucky. Enjoy and cherish what you have!!
barb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York