U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 7,000 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'll be moving to Ithaca to start a postdoc in March 2010, and I'm trying to find a place to live. I'm looking for a 2 bed apartment/townhouse. I'd like to pay about $900/month rent and about $1100/month when gas, electric, utilities, etc are added in. Unfortunately, I wont be able come and look at places before I move as I live in Florida and it's a little too expensive. Not to mention that my house was flooded in a recent storm and I'm desperately trying to sort things out.

I'm 47, so a more professional/peaceful location would be better. I wouldn't mind a commute (say less than 20 minutes) to a great location. So, any advice on good areas/apartment complexes to look at and places to avoid would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Vince
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 08:10 PM

286 posts, read 1,060,581 times
A previous thread that covers similar ground:

Nice Ithaca Apartment complexes?

Do you prefer a more urban, suburban, or rural environment? That has some affect on the answer. Ithaca is small enough that a 20 minutes' drive or bus ride will get you into very rural area. As I said in the thread linked above, when I was in a similar situation I ended up renting at Gaslight Village, which is about 15 minutes' bus ride away, well-maintained, peaceful, and quiet. It's also a bit bland and far away from the wonderful downtown area, so I've since moved to an apartment downtown, but I think that can be a little tricky to do from a distance. It's not the neighborhoods that are a problem (the problem areas are minimal) it's just that the housing stock is a bit old, and finding a well-maintained apartment in that area is a crap-shoot. The time of year you are looking will be especially difficult, it's a very college-centered town so most rental turnover happens during the summer.

Meanwhile, welcome to Ithaca! It's a great little town.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 7,000 times
Hi!

Thank you for your responses.

I've heard a lot of good things about Ithaca. As for me, I'd prefer a more suburban-rural environment. Would you recommend Candlewyck Park? It looks like a beautiful area.

Vince

Old 01-04-2010, 11:24 AM

75,131 posts, read 102,680,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincePR View Post
Hi!

Thank you for your responses.

I've heard a lot of good things about Ithaca. As for me, I'd prefer a more suburban-rural environment. Would you recommend Candlewyck Park? It looks like a beautiful area.

Vince
it's location would be perfect for what you are looking for, as it is on the way to Trumansburg. It's not far from the city of Ithaca though. 1 Candlewyck Dr # B3 · Ithaca NY - Google Maps

Old 01-05-2010, 07:38 AM

286 posts, read 1,060,581 times
I haven't actually been into those apartments, though I've been by them before. I'd expect them to be pretty quiet--undergrads would not go that far, so it'll probably be mostly young professionals and a few grad students and families. It's very close to the Finger Lakes School of Massage, the Paleontological Research Institute, and Cayuga Medical Center, so you might have some neighbors working or studying at those locations. The view from there is quite lovely--the wooded area you can see on the satellite view ckh linked to drops off steeply to the lake. As he mentioned, it's partway to Trumansburg, which is a very cute little town.

The only thing I would keep an eye out for would be to try not to get a place in that complex that faces Rt. 96 directly. That's a fairly busy street, and being so close to the Medical Center I imagine that there are a lot of ambulances along that route as well. When I've been past there, it seems like some of the apartments are very close to the road. That location also means that to get to campus you have to deal with downtown Ithaca traffic, which is laughable compared to many places but still an irritation, especially when the weather is bad. But the buses that go out that way are pretty regular, and there are a few that go directly to campus, so if you choose not to drive that won't be a problem. (Many people who work on campus choose to take the bus. On-campus parking is expensive, and if you choose not to drive to campus you get a free bus pass.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>