Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:48 AM

4 posts, read 18,188 times

Advertisements

This "attitude" is an epidemic that permeates the social climate anywhere there are too many people.

The more quantity you have...The less QUALITY...

in my humble opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 10:19 PM

757 posts, read 3,361,919 times
The so-called attitude correlates directly with purposefulness. If you don't have anywhere to go, you have all the time in the world for niceties and chit-chat. If you're dashing here, dashing there, you seek the shortest distance (and fewest diversions) between two points.

I'd love to elaborate, but I gotta run. See ya!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:21 AM

9 posts, read 42,625 times
Default where are you from?

Where are you from that you think this?

Old 04-02-2008, 01:29 PM

280 posts, read 1,221,585 times
We don't have attitudes in NY. We stand proud being NY'ers, and there is no other place in the world like NYC and our NY Yankees. Go Yankees and go NY!!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:18 PM

757 posts, read 3,361,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBEARS70 View Post
Where are you from that you think this?
You talkin' to me? You talkin' to ME?!!

You don't have to ask. It is and always has been opposite my screen name (on the right) with my join date, post count and reputation.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:13 PM

7 posts, read 30,128 times
Smile How Far? Glens Falls is far enough from the "Attitude"

Having grown up near NYC, I know what you mean when you say "The Attitude". Many people move to upstate to escape the Threadmill of Life that is so evident in NYC.

I have been spending more time in a little City called Glens Falls. It is located in between Saratoga Springs and Lake George. You couldn't ask for a nicer place to live. The people are great, the City is small but growing and the place has a number of major construction projects going on.

I am considering moving into the Downtown. I have been looking at a new Condo Project called Crandall Square Condominium. To me it represents maintenance-free living and it is close to everything. I would suggest that you check out this little city. You can see a tour at CirclePix Tour and see what I mean. Come to Glens Falls and walk down the street, smile, say Hello to people and walk into a few small shops. You will not want to go back.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:22 PM

451 posts, read 694,830 times
Don't go to Utica.

Its little NYC (seeing that nearly half of the city is from NYC)

not to mention the largest population of Italians outside NYC.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:36 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times
This is a great post--very comical, too. I lived in the Hudson Valley for 30 + years. I enjoy reading about "the attitude," which does, in fact, exist. I think it's for all NYers and meant in the most positive sense.
"The attitude," as someone alluded to is a "I can smell BS 60 feet away," awareness. It's also a directness, honesty, if you will, and if you're honest yourself, you can take it. If you're trying to play a game, you'll doubtfully not win with a NYer. It's guts and instincts, too.
Living in Florida and the SW, everything is said in a roundabout way, or behind your back, or in a passive-aggressive way. I find that attitude more distasteful than any. My NY instincts have served me well. There's a sea of con artists in the world and God Help Us if we don't see through them.
I think Manhattaners have more "attitude" because they have to--to survive. I had only been there, maybe 4-5 my whole life (2 hours away), but everyone was always so friendly. Friendliness seems to be relative to where you come from. I hope "the attitude" continues on. Italian and attitude--love it, that's what my husband says all the time.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:51 AM

133 posts, read 498,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suescanal View Post
I'm a native Brooklynite from the 50's & 60's- and grateful I spent my crazy,scary & completely wild childhood in a place where I learned more from the street than in its schools. My parents worked & we were on the streets till dinner, but part of the "Attitude" included little old ladies who kept an eye on you, & a growing sense of who you were & where you fit within the neighborhood. (like most places)
I left before I was 20, & eventually moved to beautiful "upstate" NY in the Hudson Valley. I love that the city is close enough to get to, but guess what?- the city has started to migrate up here. It's not the Attitude I mind so much (though there are some jerks who'd like to force their lifestyles down our throats) - but the fact that our rural lifestyle is becoming adversely affected by becoming too crowded.
I'm comfortable in city & country, & prefer to live in the woods. We're looking to migrate, too, & soon we'll be headed to the North Country. I'll bet they feel the same rumors of impending change. Hope I won't be too much a part of it.
No worries. We welcome all of NY's refugees. Watertown has had the impending migration on some scale since the prison was built. Family members move up from the city to be close to their baby daddy/brother/cousin who is incarcerated. The only bad thing is many get on welfare, sell drugs and bring up more of their ilk. We seem to only get NYC's garbage trucked up here, so you will be welcomed with open arms.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:59 AM

311 posts, read 1,057,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I've been all over the country and find that people in NY to be some of the most polite. Most other places do not seem to know what please and thank you are, or how to hold a door. I guess it's all about good ol' perception. People in other areas may pretend to be genteel, but are really not. You typically know how a NYer feels.
My observations were the complete opposite. I find the further you go south, the nicer the people tend to get. While I was in NYC (well just Manhattan), nobody said excuse me or please or thank you or held the door open. Nobody. People just groan, stare, push, roll their eyes and continue with their dog eat dog lifestyle.

It's sad that the amount of ignorant people around the city outweigh the people living in NYC that don't have the attitude.. I know several people that have been living in NYC for years and love it and don't carry the "attitude" that everyone else does... maybe it's just the fast pace and stress that puts people in a less-than-pleasant mood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York