Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 10:46 AM

23 posts, read 94,772 times

Advertisements

Now granted, I lived in Manhattan till I was 14 and then moved out to the lovely borough of Queens so I may be a tad biased but I cant believe that being Italian or Irish has anything to do with this discussion. I also dont believe that people in Brooklyn & Staten Island of Irish or Italian descedent are low lives. Yes, there are guidos (trust me, I went to college with many, many guidos) but I find more guidos on Long Island than in the city.
As far as the attitude, the rudest people I have met in NY are from OUTSIDE the area and they believe they have to put up a front and cop an attitude to be a real NYer. They look down at B&Ters (bridge and tunnel) and have an air of self importance to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 11:21 AM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
[quote=JoJoPGH;797633]. but I find more guidos on Long Island than in the city.
.QUOTE] Amen. Its like they have to try harder to seem like they are "real New York" because they don't live in the City.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:47 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsleftofbrooklyn View Post
Ok Guys, I think a "Brooklyn Boy" needs to step in here to explain the "Attitude" you are expressing on this board

This is it, in a nutshell and I'll tell you ahead of time that some may call this racist.... deal with it.

For those not originally from New York: There are 5 Boroughs that make up New York City: Manhattan (sometimes called the city), Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, and Staten Island.

The people specifically in Brooklyn & Staten Island, primarily of Italian and Irish descent are the ones with the attitude b/c of the way they were brought up. What I mean is this: The "older generations" directly from Italy, were all about "respect", but "respect" had a different meaning for them then it did for people already in New York. Bottom line is they could not adapt to American Culture and felt there way was always the right way i.e. the "old school way". This gave the ideaology of the New York Attitude b/c they fought with everyone in stores, argues with family, etc.... Unfortunately this bad attitude gets passed down from generation to generation. I am of Italian and Jewish decent but I will speak the truth.

The majority of the Italian and Irish in Brooklyn and Staten Island behave like low lives. They are uneducated, with every other word out of there mouth being "f this". Also, many of them have held unto nuances of "beliefs" that there old school family memebers did manage to get them to hold onto. This is not the time and place to explain to you what a "guido" is, but look it up on your own time.

So, even though being a Brooklyn Boy, I know exactly what attitude you are reffering to, and I too had enough. Unfortunately, most of brooklyn and staten island are made up of these folks, even with all the immigrants coming in. My fiance and I are out of here as soon as we settle on whether to move to North New Jersey or Long Island.

The "manhattan attitude" is different then the Brooklyn and Staten Island attitude. The attitude is more of a hustle bustle attitude. The world is on "speed drugs" in manhattan. If you don't accomplish your goals today, the next person with beat you out of the spot, a raise, the clothing store, etcc.... and you lose. Very Kurt and Brash... The people here tend to be more intelligent, and intelligent folk "float" on a different level then the rest hence why they are on speed.

I can appreciate the hustle bustle and beat out the next guy attitude, but the "nasty" attitude is unneccessary.

I personally can wear both hats at the same time when I need to which is usually when someone is trying to "screw me" out of something, but I tend to lean towards a more friendly yet very determined, no bs attitude , but without the nasty behavior.

The screwing someone out of something is exactly the reason why New Yorkers have developed thick scales instead of skin. It's to protect us from stepping on one another.

In regards to the Bronx, the bottom line is most of the Bronx is made up of poor immigrants. They do no reflect some much a NY attitude but rather just sorry people. Queens is similar to this as well.

BUT I WILL TELL YOU ALL ONE THING:
Growing up here was the best thing that could have happen to me b/c it puts you on the defense and offense all the time, its makes you very tough (im sure you all heard that if you can survive in new york you can survive anywhere) so when we do make the move, we can spot/smell liars and BS in a heartbeat. Something that I noticed is lacking in people that are not from New York. Ultimately, It takes a lot to pull the wool over a New Yorkers Eye's........

The way I see it, its a great place to grow up to make you more aware and alert of what is going on but after you reach your mid twenties or early thirties, GET OUT!

I must tell you this... when we go upstate to buffalo or other areas, and we see how friendly the folk are, I for one get so jealous... Yes they are not the smartest, but ignorance is bliss. I would love to know what it's like to not have to worry or think about things all the time and just enjoy life.... this is what we are hoping to accomplish somewhat when we move. Due to my line of work. I need to be near all of 5 boroughs, long island and New Jersey which is why we are not moving that far away..

Hope that straightens things out.. Would love some replies...
#1 Brooklyn has left the building. The majority is black, same with the bronx.

#2 The Italians ands Irish "moved" or were pushed out of Brooklyn into Staten Island.

#3 Queens is the safest of these 3 to live in.

#4 Last but not least Manhattan is a world of its own. People who cant afford to live there go to Queens or Brooklyn. The Italian mafia are cub scouts compared to some of these Columbian and other mobs the city has.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:55 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalBornDaddy View Post
Here are 50 reasons why I tolerate that NYC "attitude", besides the fact that I was born and raised here.

1) One Fish Two Fish on 97th and Madison
2) The view of Manhattan on the horizon as you return from a drive down south.
3) Mid December on Fifth Ave. looking into Rockefeller Plaza at the Christmas Tree with your family.
4) Jackson Hole on 85th and Columbus.
5) Nell's on West 14th St.
6) The aroma of peanuts roasting as you come out of the subway.
7) Some of the most beautiful women in the world.
8) 2 outs, bottom of the 9th, Yankee Stadium after somebody just hit the winning homerun.
9) The friendliest bartenders in the world.
10) McDonald's without mustard.
11) The best spanish food outside of Puerto Rico.
12) Orchard Beach in June
13) City Island on payday.
14) The Empire State Building.
15) Madison Square Garden.
16) Willie's Burgers on 145th st. and Eighth Ave.
17) Is there a better place for steak than Peter Luger?
18) Real Bagels
19) Bodegas
20) Empire Skates in Brooklyn
21) Brooklyn
22) Junior's Cheesecakes
23) White Castle's at 4:30 in the morning
24) Shea Stadium on Merengue Night.
25) The San Genaro Feast
26) The Roosevelt Island Tram
27) Oh my God, Central Park
28) The Bronx Zoo
29) Caroline's, Dangerfield's, Catch a Rising Star
30) The Port Authority Bowling Lanes after 9:00pm
31) Dallas BBQ's on 72nd st.
32) 7 miles of shoreline in The Rockaways.
33) The Copacabana
34) The Apollo
35) The Statue of Liberty
36) Washington Square Park
37) Rucker Park, home of "The GOAT".
38) You live in the birthplace of Hip Hop
39) Donald Trump isn't done yet.
40) Did I mention the women.
41) Some of the greatest people in the world live here.
42) Some cabbies are no longer scared to death of Black people.
43) The most unhealthy, best tasting Chinese food outside of China.
44) Coney Island
45) The Best, hands down Best, barbers in the country.
46) Street vendors as far as the eye can see.
47) Grand Central, Port Authority, LaGuardia and JFK Airports only minutes away.
48) Where else can you sit completely undisturbed enough to fall asleep on a crowded subway, and yet unable to sleep all alone in your own apartment?
49) Where else do complete strangers line up to give blood just because.
50) Once again, the women.

Need I say more?
I'm a native upstate NYer and just began visiting the City within last few years when my oldest son moved there to work in Harrison/Manhattan....(Yes, believe it or not, there are people who live just a mere 5 hours north of NYC never get there.) And after my first visit at Christmas I said "Yeah, this place is cool!" After the second one, I am in love with the place like it's my new born baby. And this post says it all as to why. Just got home after a Memorial weekend visit (Yankees and the Bronx Zoo with dinner and dessert on the streets of Little Italy...does it get any better than that???) We're already planning our next visit and seriously considering a timeshare in Manhattan.....NYC is not a place; it is a feeling and boy, does it get under your skin.....

Old 05-30-2007, 08:03 PM

359 posts, read 2,592,581 times
If you really must get away from "THE ATTITUDE" go to central jersey. Close enough but no Attitude. Though i dont really see whats wrong with North Jersey and New York City.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:48 AM

82 posts, read 109,824 times
Anyone who thinks that Queens is safer than SI must be numb. Just look at the crime statistics..it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:21 AM

4 posts, read 17,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I love visiting New York City but would never want to live there. But I could picture retiring to New York State to be close by the City for all it has to offer. When I was younger I interviewed for quite a few jobs at companies in suburban New York and New Jersey and found the people brash. They had that famous New York and New Jersey attitude. I always wondered how far one has to get away from New York City before the majority of people are more low keyed, friendly and lack that famous City attitude.

(Yes, I know many people living in New York are friendly nice people, but I still feel THE ATTITUDE)

I spend alot of time in Buffalo, NY and find the people in that City to be so different than those in New York City. Though I would like to move closer to the City but far from the attitude.

Close to New York City but far from THE ATTITUDE, where?
Hmm, why bother coming to an area of the country you feel already has a little bit of attitude? If I thought the people here had a little bit of attitude and it didn't sit well with me, I wouldn't move here. NYC is made up of FIVE VERY LARGE boroughs and so, you would have to move to CT or Jersey. Well, not THAT far, but pretty damn far in order to get away from us crazy NY'ers. I for one am a transplant from California and love the frankness and honesty of the NYC people. Not only do I LOVE this city now, but one of the MAIN reasons I don't want to leave is the people~!

Old 05-31-2007, 02:20 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
Not only do I LOVE this city now, but one of the MAIN reasons I don't want to leave is the people~!

Exactly. I love going on the subway knowing I can find a friendly NYer to chat with everytime and the ones that don't want to engage tell you with their body language: bold, brassy, attitude: call it what you want but a NYer says what they think and go to the back of the line if it makes you nervous. Consider the fact that NYers have to traverse heavy traffic 24/7, packed subways 24/7, sidewalks teeming with evey breed of person God put on this Earth. Without an attitude, they'd be washed off their feet......NYC is not for the faint of heart and for those that accept the challenge, you'll be agreeably surprised......

Old 06-01-2007, 12:01 AM

3 posts, read 18,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsleftofbrooklyn View Post
Ok Guys, I think a "Brooklyn Boy" needs to step in here to explain the "Attitude" you are expressing on this board

This is it, in a nutshell and I'll tell you ahead of time that some may call this racist.... deal with it.

For those not originally from New York: There are 5 Boroughs that make up New York City: Manhattan (sometimes called the city), Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, and Staten Island.

The people specifically in Brooklyn & Staten Island, primarily of Italian and Irish descent are the ones with the attitude b/c of the way they were brought up. What I mean is this: The "older generations" directly from Italy, were all about "respect", but "respect" had a different meaning for them then it did for people already in New York. Bottom line is they could not adapt to American Culture and felt there way was always the right way i.e. the "old school way". This gave the ideaology of the New York Attitude b/c they fought with everyone in stores, argues with family, etc.... Unfortunately this bad attitude gets passed down from generation to generation. I am of Italian and Jewish decent but I will speak the truth.

The majority of the Italian and Irish in Brooklyn and Staten Island behave like low lives. They are uneducated, with every other word out of there mouth being "f this". Also, many of them have held unto nuances of "beliefs" that there old school family memebers did manage to get them to hold onto. This is not the time and place to explain to you what a "guido" is, but look it up on your own time.

So, even though being a Brooklyn Boy, I know exactly what attitude you are reffering to, and I too had enough. Unfortunately, most of brooklyn and staten island are made up of these folks, even with all the immigrants coming in. My fiance and I are out of here as soon as we settle on whether to move to North New Jersey or Long Island.

The "manhattan attitude" is different then the Brooklyn and Staten Island attitude. The attitude is more of a hustle bustle attitude. The world is on "speed drugs" in manhattan. If you don't accomplish your goals today, the next person with beat you out of the spot, a raise, the clothing store, etcc.... and you lose. Very Kurt and Brash... The people here tend to be more intelligent, and intelligent folk "float" on a different level then the rest hence why they are on speed.

I can appreciate the hustle bustle and beat out the next guy attitude, but the "nasty" attitude is unneccessary.

I personally can wear both hats at the same time when I need to which is usually when someone is trying to "screw me" out of something, but I tend to lean towards a more friendly yet very determined, no bs attitude , but without the nasty behavior.

The screwing someone out of something is exactly the reason why New Yorkers have developed thick scales instead of skin. It's to protect us from stepping on one another.

In regards to the Bronx, the bottom line is most of the Bronx is made up of poor immigrants. They do no reflect some much a NY attitude but rather just sorry people. Queens is similar to this as well.

BUT I WILL TELL YOU ALL ONE THING:
Growing up here was the best thing that could have happen to me b/c it puts you on the defense and offense all the time, its makes you very tough (im sure you all heard that if you can survive in new york you can survive anywhere) so when we do make the move, we can spot/smell liars and BS in a heartbeat. Something that I noticed is lacking in people that are not from New York. Ultimately, It takes a lot to pull the wool over a New Yorkers Eye's........

The way I see it, its a great place to grow up to make you more aware and alert of what is going on but after you reach your mid twenties or early thirties, GET OUT!

I must tell you this... when we go upstate to buffalo or other areas, and we see how friendly the folk are, I for one get so jealous... Yes they are not the smartest, but ignorance is bliss. I would love to know what it's like to not have to worry or think about things all the time and just enjoy life.... this is what we are hoping to accomplish somewhat when we move. Due to my line of work. I need to be near all of 5 boroughs, long island and New Jersey which is why we are not moving that far away..

Hope that straightens things out.. Would love some replies...
Great post. Nope, no racism to me, just the truth.

The part in bold is the most important I think. The ways and attitudes you described of the old school "ways of thinking" are dead-on. Growing up in an "old-school way of thinking" home, you do get a sense of brashness. What you learn isn't so much about being rude but how to survive and not get stepped on, especially here in the NJ/NYC area. My father is Irish, my mother is African American, so I had A LOT of wisdom given to me from both parents.

For me, I try to be as friendly as I can, no matter where I go. Yes, you always still have that sense of toughness because of your upbringing but using it with intelligence rather than with idiocy is the key. Haha, unfortunately though, some of us northern Jerseyan's haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:39 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joer View Post
Anyone who thinks that Queens is safer than SI must be numb. Just look at the crime statistics..it's like comparing apples and oranges.
I said safer OF THE 3!!!! (Brooklyn,Bronx,Queens) Read before you speak!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York