Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 08:01 AM

786 posts, read 4,732,860 times

Advertisements

I love visiting New York City but would never want to live there. But I could picture retiring to New York State to be close by the City for all it has to offer. When I was younger I interviewed for quite a few jobs at companies in suburban New York and New Jersey and found the people brash. They had that famous New York and New Jersey attitude. I always wondered how far one has to get away from New York City before the majority of people are more low keyed, friendly and lack that famous City attitude.

(Yes, I know many people living in New York are friendly nice people, but I still feel THE ATTITUDE)

I spend alot of time in Buffalo, NY and find the people in that City to be so different than those in New York City. Though I would like to move closer to the City but far from the attitude.

Close to New York City but far from THE ATTITUDE, where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 08:03 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
I think you should try another state of mind.

Attitude works both ways!

Old 05-23-2007, 08:09 AM

142 posts, read 811,251 times
I love NYC, and part of what I like is the "attitude". I see it more as confidence, intelligence, and a fast paced lifestyle. I used to live in a NYC commuter town and would go to NYC all the time. I even worked there for 3 years. When I moved to FL, I really missed the attitude. People were just too darn laid back. Now, I live in a small town in NYS and I find the people here have the same confidence and intelligence, just a slower paced lifestyle.
Jo

Old 05-23-2007, 08:23 AM

823 posts, read 3,688,935 times
I was born and raised in NYC and now live in it's suburbs. I have also traveled around the world and met people from many different cultures. Each culture has it's own idiosyncrasies but I have no idea what you mean by a "NYC attitude".

One of Webster's Dictionary's meanings for brash is "full of fresh raw vitality". For me that describes the average young Manhattanite many of whom have relocated to NYC so their brashness doesn't have its origin in NY.

Maybe one of the quieter cities or towns in NY would be better suited for you.

Is it possible that you become defensive when in NYC?

Old 05-23-2007, 08:47 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,179 times
Out of State....Different states have different quirks I guess. I am west coast gal..so from an outsiders perspective, I do "see" what you are seeing...but I see it more in the city and boroughs..but thats what makes NYC/NYC! Just let when you go hawaii..everyone is laid back...because thats the culture and the lifestyle. The attitude is not a bad thing, its just the way certain areas of NY state is! I live in the burbs too...so and it is almost night and day..what difference an hour outside of the city makes...perhaps look north into the burbs..you may like it!

Old 05-23-2007, 09:41 AM

5 posts, read 30,362 times
Default ".....in old New York. If I can, make it there....."

Here are 50 reasons why I tolerate that NYC "attitude", besides the fact that I was born and raised here.

1) One Fish Two Fish on 97th and Madison
2) The view of Manhattan on the horizon as you return from a drive down south.
3) Mid December on Fifth Ave. looking into Rockefeller Plaza at the Christmas Tree with your family.
4) Jackson Hole on 85th and Columbus.
5) Nell's on West 14th St.
6) The aroma of peanuts roasting as you come out of the subway.
7) Some of the most beautiful women in the world.
8) 2 outs, bottom of the 9th, Yankee Stadium after somebody just hit the winning homerun.
9) The friendliest bartenders in the world.
10) McDonald's without mustard.
11) The best spanish food outside of Puerto Rico.
12) Orchard Beach in June
13) City Island on payday.
14) The Empire State Building.
15) Madison Square Garden.
16) Willie's Burgers on 145th st. and Eighth Ave.
17) Is there a better place for steak than Peter Luger?
18) Real Bagels
19) Bodegas
20) Empire Skates in Brooklyn
21) Brooklyn
22) Junior's Cheesecakes
23) White Castle's at 4:30 in the morning
24) Shea Stadium on Merengue Night.
25) The San Genaro Feast
26) The Roosevelt Island Tram
27) Oh my God, Central Park
28) The Bronx Zoo
29) Caroline's, Dangerfield's, Catch a Rising Star
30) The Port Authority Bowling Lanes after 9:00pm
31) Dallas BBQ's on 72nd st.
32) 7 miles of shoreline in The Rockaways.
33) The Copacabana
34) The Apollo
35) The Statue of Liberty
36) Washington Square Park
37) Rucker Park, home of "The GOAT".
38) You live in the birthplace of Hip Hop
39) Donald Trump isn't done yet.
40) Did I mention the women.
41) Some of the greatest people in the world live here.
42) Some cabbies are no longer scared to death of Black people.
43) The most unhealthy, best tasting Chinese food outside of China.
44) Coney Island
45) The Best, hands down Best, barbers in the country.
46) Street vendors as far as the eye can see.
47) Grand Central, Port Authority, LaGuardia and JFK Airports only minutes away.
48) Where else can you sit completely undisturbed enough to fall asleep on a crowded subway, and yet unable to sleep all alone in your own apartment?
49) Where else do complete strangers line up to give blood just because.
50) Once again, the women.

Need I say more?

Old 05-23-2007, 12:15 PM

786 posts, read 4,732,860 times
The famous New York Attitude has an historical beginning. People use to complain about the attitude of the people in New York way back in the 1600s. It has developed over time. I actually feel and see it most in the suburbs and in the outer Boroughs. Queens, Long Island, Close In New Jersey and Staten Island. I think some of it comes from the Italian background of many of the people who have lived in New York for generations.

My question still stands.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:54 PM

103 posts, read 654,017 times
I spent a lot of time in Manhattan the last few years. I only saw the "NYC attitude" twice. Once in a department store where a sales clerk was allowing an elevator door to close before a woman in a wheel chair could back into the elevator. The second time was at JFK while awaiting a flight to LV. We had some time, so we decided to eat at a restaurant before our flight. The waiter literally slammed food down, threw things at us and was completely rude while taking our order (he never did clean up after we were through). My husband (then fiance) , who has never been known as a generous tipper was so entertained (he lived in Manhattan at the time, and although we frequently dined out we'd never encountered this before) he tipped the guy 35%! <sigh> He was just reinforcing some very bad habits.

Anyhoooo these could have just been two very rude individuals. I've never really seen the imfamous attitude as prevalent.

We do live in the Buffalo area now. It is known as "the city of good neighbors" if you like congenial attitudes.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:18 PM

954 posts, read 4,377,487 times
"F" YOU! What Attitude???

Just kidding. I grew up in the Midwest. I find the folks from up around Buffalo with less of the "attitude". In fact I find them very like the folks I grew up around. Great Lakes thing I guess.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:58 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,487 times
I've been all over the country and find that people in NY to be some of the most polite. Most other places do not seem to know what please and thank you are, or how to hold a door. I guess it's all about good ol' perception. People in other areas may pretend to be genteel, but are really not. You typically know how a NYer feels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York