Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 10:44 AM

10 posts, read 35,830 times

Advertisements

Hello all--

My husband and I are planning to relocate with our two young daughters from Los Angeles to the East Coast this summer. We are writers and have the freedom to work anywhere, so our main requirements in finding a new home is that we would like to be no more than 2 hours from NYC (where my parents have an apartment) and 4 hours from Syracuse (where my husband's family lives).

Aside from that, we're just looking for a great, family-friendly, open-minded and slightly artsy community to call home. We hope to find excellent public schools and a nice 4-bedroom house in the $400K - $500K range.

I've been researching the New Paltz area and it seems like surrounding towns like Stone Ridge, High Falls, etc. might fit the bill. We love the Woodstock area but hear the schools are lacking there. Any other suggestions? Is there any notable difference between areas on the west side of the Hudson versus those on the east? It seems like the whole region has changed quite a bit since I was a kid growing up in Westchester and thinking of the HV as "the sticks"!

Thank you in advance for feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 11:57 AM

93,284 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen2376 View Post
Hello all--

My husband and I are planning to relocate with our two young daughters from Los Angeles to the East Coast this summer. We are writers and have the freedom to work anywhere, so our main requirements in finding a new home is that we would like to be no more than 2 hours from NYC (where my parents have an apartment) and 4 hours from Syracuse (where my husband's family lives).

Aside from that, we're just looking for a great, family-friendly, open-minded and slightly artsy community to call home. We hope to find excellent public schools and a nice 4-bedroom house in the $400K - $500K range.

I've been researching the New Paltz area and it seems like surrounding towns like Stone Ridge, High Falls, etc. might fit the bill. We love the Woodstock area but hear the schools are lacking there. Any other suggestions? Is there any notable difference between areas on the west side of the Hudson versus those on the east? It seems like the whole region has changed quite a bit since I was a kid growing up in Westchester and thinking of the HV as "the sticks"!

Thank you in advance for feedback!
Try Saugerties and maybe even Hudson as well. Nyack might work. Possibly Beacon and Rhinebeck. Catskill might work too.

Saugerties NY, Hudson Valley New York Travel Guide
Saugerties Town Hall - Home
Village Of Saugerties: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]
Saugerties Central School District Overview | GreatSchools
https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/District.do?year=2008&county=ULSTER&district=62160 1060000 (broken link)

City Of Hudson: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]
Hudson Antiques
Olana: the Persian style home of Hudson River artist Frederic Edwin Church
THE 12534

Village of Nyack Home Page
NyackNewsAndViews
Nyack Chamber
The Nyack Villager - Nyack, New York - Home Page
Riverspace | Nyack, New York | Conversations, Family, Film, Music, Poetry, Special Events, Theater, Visual Arts
Edward Hopper House Art Center
Nyack Merchants Committee | Art Walk | Nyack, NY
Nyack Union Free School District Overview | GreatSchools
https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/District.do?year=2008&county=ROCKLAND&district=500 304030000 (broken link)

City of Beacon
Dia Art Foundation - Dia:Beacon
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/29/ny...29Rtownwe.html
Beacon Arts Community Association - Home
Beacon City School District Overview | GreatSchools
https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/District.do?year=2008&county=DUTCHESS&district=130 200010000 (broken link)

Rhinebeck Chamber of Commerce
Dutchess County Fair Rhinebeck NY
Rhinebeck-NY.gov
Rhinebeck Real Estate, Rhinebeck NY - Rhinebeck Properties, Lodging, Dining, Shopping and Online Guide to No. Dutchess and So. Columbia Counties
Rhinebeck Central School District Overview | GreatSchools
https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/District.do?year=2008&county=DUTCHESS&district=131 801040000 (broken link)

Greene County Council on the Arts, Promoting the Arts in Greene and Columbia Counties,NY
Cedar Grove | The Thomas Cole National Historic Site - Main
Welcome to Catskill, New York

Here is a good place to look at school districts in the Hudson Valley:
New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/Home.do?year=2008 (broken link)

Old 01-09-2010, 12:15 PM

228 posts, read 483,200 times
You say you looked at the New Paltz area, but didn't mention New Paltz as an option. I would say that New Paltz would fit exactly what you are looking for. We are an hour and a half to the city, with buses leaving right from town as wel as the Poughkeepsie train station only 15 minutes away.

It is gorgeous here, there are tons of opportunities to be outside, with small mountains right outside town which have a state park and a preserve, and a rail trail running right through town for summer walks and winter skiing. The downtown area is definitely has that sort of "cute" village feel to it, with coffee shops, TONS of restaurants (indian, greek, thai, organic cafes, vegetarian friendly, you name it), and some good pubs for you and your husband. The people here are very friendly, eco-conscious and artsy. There are several organic farms in the area and many fruit and vegetable stands.

When we first looked at moving back to New York we looked at the Hyde Park area. We even had a house lined up which, thank god (even though it caused us a huge headache), fell through. We weren't finding what we were looking for and decided to branch out. We took one drive through New Paltz and decided that we absolutely had to find a place there.

It's amazing that you can have such a small town feel (if feels downright rurul if you live out of town) but be so close to the city. The Catskill mountains as well as Woodstock are only an hour to the north, so it's basically the perfect location. Half-way between the city and mountains, with our own small mountains right outside of town. The only thing I can think of that you might view as a negative is the amount of younger people. It is a college town, but to me that just brings a freshness and liveliness to the area. There are definitely plenty of families here too.

One other major plus is that New Paltz is not the least bit run down. There are no areas that are shady looking, whereas some of the others areas of the Hudson Valley has that "rust belt"/abandoned sort of feel to it. Even Saugerties has a few run-down looking areas.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:34 PM

10 posts, read 35,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
You say you looked at the New Paltz area, but didn't mention New Paltz as an option. I would say that New Paltz would fit exactly what you are looking for. We are an hour and a half to the city, with buses leaving right from town as wel as the Poughkeepsie train station only 15 minutes away.

It is gorgeous here, there are tons of opportunities to be outside, with small mountains right outside town which have a state park and a preserve, and a rail trail running right through town for summer walks and winter skiing. The downtown area is definitely has that sort of "cute" village feel to it, with coffee shops, TONS of restaurants (indian, greek, thai, organic cafes, vegetarian friendly, you name it), and some good pubs for you and your husband. The people here are very friendly, eco-conscious and artsy. There are several organic farms in the area and many fruit and vegetable stands.

When we first looked at moving back to New York we looked at the Hyde Park area. We even had a house lined up which, thank god (even though it caused us a huge headache), fell through. We weren't finding what we were looking for and decided to branch out. We took one drive through New Paltz and decided that we absolutely had to find a place there.

It's amazing that you can have such a small town feel (if feels downright rurul if you live out of town) but be so close to the city. The Catskill mountains as well as Woodstock are only an hour to the north, so it's basically the perfect location. Half-way between the city and mountains, with our own small mountains right outside of town. The only thing I can think of that you might view as a negative is the amount of younger people. It is a college town, but to me that just brings a freshness and liveliness to the area. There are definitely plenty of families here too.

One other major plus is that New Paltz is not the least bit run down. There are no areas that are shady looking, whereas some of the others areas of the Hudson Valley has that "rust belt"/abandoned sort of feel to it. Even Saugerties has a few run-down looking areas.
Thank you! Yes, I meant New Paltz itself as well. That does sound perfect. We love the idea of being near a university to take advantage of cultural offerings, and I agree that college students bring a liveliness to the area. Do you know anything about various public and private schools?

Old 01-09-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen2376 View Post
Thank you! Yes, I meant New Paltz itself as well. That does sound perfect. We love the idea of being near a university to take advantage of cultural offerings, and I agree that college students bring a liveliness to the area. Do you know anything about various public and private schools?
Here are some private schools in the region:
Ulster County Private Schools - New York/NY - Private School Review

Greene County Private Schools - New York/NY - Private School Review

Dutchess County Private Schools - New York/NY - Private School Review

Orange County Private Schools - New York/NY - Private School Review

Columbia County Private Schools - New York/NY - Private School Review

New York/NY Private Schools - Private School Review

Old 01-10-2010, 07:03 AM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Of the towns chk mentioned, Nyack is by far closest to the City and farthest from Syracuse (though being west of Hudson you already have a jump on going to Syracuse by not having to deal with a toll bridge). It will also be more expensive to live in than the other places mentioned.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:21 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Nyack is a cool little town. Very close to the city, but even closer to some beautiful country.

ABQConvict

Old 01-11-2010, 10:30 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
I think Nyack is entirely different from New Paltz, which is also different from High Falls and Stone Ridge.

For us Nyack does not really offer any of the country feel, outdoorsey vibe or local foods offerings. Nyack is really a semi urban suburb of NYC , where New Paltz and beyond are not, IMO.... which I feel are more town and country like....

I don't know how schools are in New Paltz... and I am not sure either about Stone Ridge/High Falls - and other area towns which go to Rondout Valley central school district.

Sort of in a similar boat but more concerned with proximity to NYC... trying to understand all of these towns and the differences between them.

Last edited by joe moving; 01-11-2010 at 10:47 AM..

Old 01-11-2010, 11:12 AM

Saugerties is a bit closer to Syracuse and still within 2 hours of NYC. Schools there don't seem to be "bad" and it still has the artsy vibe that the OP is looking for. Kingston might be another option as well and is bigger than the other communities suggested.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:25 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
I hear awful things about Kingston... like that there is a lot of gang activity. I do not know how much of this is true. When we drove through though, it was like strip mawl central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York