Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2007, 06:11 PM

3 posts, read 7,966 times

Advertisements

DH got a job offer in West Point - can a family of six (kids ages 3,5,10, 15) live on $45K/yr. I'm a student, so I won't work for another two years (too many kids, child care would cost more than my income, not worth it).

I think it's impossible, DH thinks we can make it work. I think he's crazy.

Thanks!
Susan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 06:49 PM

142 posts, read 811,027 times
Will West Point offer you housing? If not, I think it would be tough.
Jo

Old 05-24-2007, 07:05 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,901,566 times
I don't see how unless West Point offers you housing. House rents here in Orange county are $1000+ a month and generally more in that area. Will you get commissary, infirmary, and exchange privileges as well? You'd absolutely must to make ends remotely meet. It's tough for even one person to make it on such a low salary in this area. Car insurance (get quotes now) and gas are very high and the sales tax is 8.75% (though the base stores are exempt from the sales tax).

I don't know how you'd do it with 6 family members without subsidized housing and base shopping and health care privileges. I will say that the base IS a tight-knit community and everyone helps each other out to the best of their ability. You'll meet families from all over the country and West Point itself is one of the most beautiful spots in all of the nation.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:29 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,313 times
Susan,

Trust me-you'll have a real struggle with it. We are a family of 5 and we had managed it until the last 2 years I stayed home with our kids for 11 years, but the cost of fuel, electric, living and food expenses has gone through the roof up this way. I had to go back to work driving a school bus-so much for my college degree. We do own our own home-but 15 years ago around here things were much less than now. Insurance is going up with no end in sight either for your vehicles and homeowners.

According to the statistics, we still are a tad shy of what the medium income is around here just to afford a 1 bedroom apartment even though we both work. They say that number is $62,000. My spouses job hasn't given them a decent raise in over 9 years to keep up-he's got 20 years in there to boot. That's another problem with the area, the salaries if your working local make it very tough to keep your head above water.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:42 PM

46 posts, read 173,017 times
RIght now I am a SAHM w/ 2 children.. husband is the only one working as of now... he makes about 48K a year and we are struggling. Budget well and everything its just crazy in NY price wise. Hope this helps.
We live in Montgomery Ny about 40 minutes or so from west point?

Old 05-25-2007, 12:06 AM

3 posts, read 7,966 times
Thanks for the input, It really helps. It confirms what I already suspected.

I CAN work part-time while I go to school, but my income would only be about 8K/yr after I include child care for the two youngest - added to his $45k/yr and I know we'd still struggle.

The two older children are my stepchildren who won't be coming with us - but we still have to factor $700/mo in child support for them if we move (50/50 custody now) and travel expenses if we want to have any kind of relationship with them. (court papers say kids stay w/ resident parent if other parent moves out of the county).

I know this would be a spring board position to something bigger and better in a couple of years, but I just think that my stepchildren would really suffer from not seeing their dad since their mom is not the brightest apple in the bunch.

Thanks!

Old 05-25-2007, 02:52 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times
I second everyones opinion.its not actual income that is the issue...but really the real estate and rental market...You could make 100k here and it still could be difficult.

My friend is renting her home and its she wants 1700 for it..its a 1 bed (maybe 2 as the second one is small), one bath..in the beacon area I believe.

Rentals are high over here..at least in dutchess..I cant speak for west point...

What about sullivan county somewhere? I dont know..maybe rentals are cheaper? Its very rural though...if that is what you like though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York