Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 8,559 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a place where I can plug myself in, such as Kingston Rondout, or something like it. I am starting over, disabled.. not handicapped though, in need of relatively safe place, love going for walks, painting marinas, looking for board game groups, church. Am originally from Port Jefferson Long Island NY(and would love place similar), but have been in Richmond, VA for last 20 yrs. I hate the humidity in Richmond and want much less humidity. Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 10:07 AM

995 posts, read 2,727,242 times
You won't find it in the Hudson Valley. Humidity is now different than in Richmond. Maybe NYC might be your ticket for the types of activities you are seeking.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,559 times
Default What do you mean

More humidity? I want much less than Richmond, in humidity.
What about the meetup groups in Hudson Valley, they look promising. No?

Old 01-20-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn4sldnny View Post
More humidity? I want much less than Richmond, in humidity.
What about the meetup groups in Hudson Valley, they look promising. No?
Not really looking promising. You could always check the local craigslist section. I'm sure they are out there, but if they are you will need a car. Humidity gets pretty nasty up here during the summer.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,152 times
Quote:
I am looking for a place where I can plug myself in, such as Kingston Rondout, or something like it. I am starting over, disabled.. not handicapped though, in need of relatively safe place, love going for walks, painting marinas, looking for board game groups, church. Am originally from Port Jefferson Long Island NY(and would love place similar), but have been in Richmond, VA for last 20 yrs. I hate the humidity in Richmond and want much less humidity. Anyone have any ideas?
I moved to Washingtonville from Bronx, NY. My gooodness what a change! The cold is colder and the snow is higher, but the town can easily be completed by foot. Brotherhood Winery, St Mary's Church and cemetry,Stop and Shop with hair/nail salon and drug store all in on block radius. A disabled person would feel very free to explore this tiney town. The scenery can't be beat because Washingtionville sits in the MId Hudson valley of the Catskills. Photograph it;paint it ;experience it ; you won't be dissappointed. I'm not. The biggest draw back I feel exist today is the traffic. Very few roads and lots of school buses. I commute to Westchester everyday and I notice more and more families are moving into the area but the cul de sacs don't make more roads for the influx of children and the like. If you are a senior it is just right for you. As long as you mindfully get out. Hope I helped. Washihngtonville is 200 miles away from NYC and in Orange County just above Woodbury Commons.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATRICIA cOONEY View Post
I moved to Washingtonville from Bronx, NY. My gooodness what a change! The cold is colder and the snow is higher, but the town can easily be completed by foot. Brotherhood Winery, St Mary's Church and cemetry,Stop and Shop with hair/nail salon and drug store all in on block radius. A disabled person would feel very free to explore this tiney town. The scenery can't be beat because Washingtionville sits in the MId Hudson valley of the Catskills. Photograph it;paint it ;experience it ; you won't be dissappointed. I'm not. The biggest draw back I feel exist today is the traffic. Very few roads and lots of school buses. I commute to Westchester everyday and I notice more and more families are moving into the area but the cul de sacs don't make more roads for the influx of children and the like. If you are a senior it is just right for you. As long as you mindfully get out. Hope I helped. Washihngtonville is 200 miles away from NYC and in Orange County just above Woodbury Commons.
Did you say 200 miles or did you mean 20 miles? Washingtonville is more like 70 miles north of whatever part of NYC. Washingtonville is probably more accessible getting into the city than some of the other towns. If you like quant and crowded you will like washingtonville. Edit... I miss the part where you said we are in the catskills. We are a lot closer to the catskills than the city folks but we aren't any closer than the city folks.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:13 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
You don't like our summers? I'm originally from the Hudson Valley but in VA 30+, it can get bad in the summer but not like here. Consider looking more in the mountains, maybe further upstate like the Saratoga area, good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York