U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:29 AM

323 posts, read 794,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I'm not sure if the area around Lake Chautauqua qualifies as the Southern Tier or not, but my wife and I have a vacation home up there and love it. The town of Mayville reminds me of Leave it to Beaver. Still a vibrant downtown with local supermarket and hardware stores, restaurants, and bakeries. A lot of the income is from tourists, but since it's the county seat a lot of govt jobs help the local economy.

The 4th of July parade reminds me of my old town in the 60's, and that stuff doesn't happen much anymore.

Go a little north and check out Westfield, seems to be a lot of "old money" there with some great little restaurants.

I would not mind retiring there, except for the 155 inches of snow they have had already this year!

But the eastern part of the county is horrendous. No way that I am living anywhere near Jamestown, NY.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 12:26 PM

78,068 posts, read 106,047,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post
But the eastern part of the county is horrendous. No way that I am living anywhere near Jamestown, NY.
What's wrong with the Eastern part of Chautauqua County?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:48 PM

12,396 posts, read 16,325,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post

C'mon, it's not that bad. Parts of J-Town are nasty, others pretty nice. My wife and I have attended a couple of Double A baseball games there, a good time. Just about all the townships around the lake are nice, some very upper middle class.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:17 PM

7 posts, read 15,071 times
Watkins Glen or somewhere around Seneca Lake might be of interest to you. The waterfalls in watkins are beautiful and I sometimes just drive up there to look at the scenery and walk the trails. Seneca Lake has many dinner cruises and Park Station and Mount Pisquah (Spelling?) are only a drive away where their is fishing, swimming, camping, and more. I live in Elmira and love it. Best advice I can offer you is to look up the towns in a search engine and make your decision from there. Good luck and best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York