U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:14 PM

323 posts, read 792,907 times

Advertisements

Looking for opinions/info on the Southern Tier east of Chautauqua County. Why are the property taxes so high in rural areas?

Last edited by bethany12; 01-18-2010 at 09:27 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 06:08 AM

4,272 posts, read 11,007,376 times
Many county social services benefit levels are dictated by NY City advocacy groups but costs fall on the local taxpayer. Counties in NY do have local sales taxes but the rural folks have not so many shopping opportunities so they travel to Buffalo/Rochester/Elmira to shop. The money has to be made up somewhere so it falls on the county property taxpayer.

Roads are another big ticket item - NY has county maintained roads in addition to state and town roads. Compare to PA where the rural secondary paved roads are also state roads (with four-digit numbers). Also for equivalent areas vs. PA, the roads in NY tend to be better maintained, perhaps due to closer local control. But better maintenance is more expensive.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:40 AM

786 posts, read 3,765,560 times
I would also say it has to do with school costs. Small school districts in rural areas need just as much money per student, if not more with fewer people to divide the expense by. Property values are very low in the Southern Tier, so it kind of evens out in the long run.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:00 AM

417 posts, read 1,824,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
Property values are very low in the Southern Tier, so it kind of evens out in the long run.
The marcellus shale natural gas play is changing that to an extent, with reports of some land-owners receiving lease signing amounts of $3-5k an acre. Just a few years ago the land could be bought for around $2k an acre.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:56 AM

What are the towns like in the Southern Tier (again east of Chautauqua)? Do they have a New England vibe? What is the best county for outdoor recreation? Hospitals?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:48 PM

Binghamton and Elmira are the largest regional medical centers in the NY counties bordering PA. There is also a regional destination medical center just over the border in Sayre, PA. Most communities have larger lot sizes and varied frontage more evocative of New England than of, say, southern PA.

If by a "New England vibe" you are looking for cultural liberalism, that's more prevalent in the areas around Ithaca, with maybe a couple of blips around Olean (St. Bonaventure U.) or Alfred (2 colleges). Ellicottville has ski-town attributes. Corning has cutesy stores, with a lot of corporate researchers and HQ types at Corning Inc. around who sometimes spend money there instead of driving to Rochester. Hammondsport is a cute Finger Lakes village still in Steuben County.

Whether you want streams or lakes for fishing, lakes for boating, or hills for hiking, the southern rims of the larger Finger Lakes have it all close by, often more than some locals realize. I'm talking about areas around Ithaca, Watkins Glen, Hammondsport, Naples. Icing on the cake is the gorges and waterfalls around the southern tips of Seneca and Cauyga Lakes. Schuyler and Tompkins counties are often lumped in the "Southern Tier" even though they don't literally border PA, and would likely have the most varied offerings within a relatively short distance. If the county has to border PA, then Steuben is the pick for the most varied outdoor recreation offerings because it also includes one end of Keuka Lake.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:56 PM

I guess I should explain the New England vibe: small cute towns/villages with character. Something you would see on a calendar. Looking for a more independent/conservative area than liberal. The more water activities the better.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:39 PM

The western side of the Southern Tier and Finger Lakes (Watkins Glen, Penn Yan, Hammondsport) would be more conservative or independent politically. Around Ithaca, if someone had a "BUSH" sign in their yard it was prefaced with "Impeach." Most every village in this region will have a district of beautiful (if possibly run down) large homes with beautiful detailing, "hardwood floors under carpet" as the realtors say, etc.

Jobs are not plentiful, just in case you haven't seen that in other c-d discussions. (Essentially the only reason why I'm no longer there...)

Old 01-19-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
The western side of the Southern Tier and Finger Lakes (Watkins Glen, Penn Yan, Hammondsport) would be more conservative or independent politically. Around Ithaca, if someone had a "BUSH" sign in their yard it was prefaced with "Impeach." Most every village in this region will have a district of beautiful (if possibly run down) large homes with beautiful detailing, "hardwood floors under carpet" as the realtors say, etc.

Jobs are not plentiful, just in case you haven't seen that in other c-d discussions. (Essentially the only reason why I'm no longer there...)
Thanks for the feedback. I am more concerned about the taxes than jobs. I am looking for a nice little remote place to have a laid back lifestyle. Buy an old home for next to nothing and gut it.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:14 PM

12,373 posts, read 16,278,121 times
I'm not sure if the area around Lake Chautauqua qualifies as the Southern Tier or not, but my wife and I have a vacation home up there and love it. The town of Mayville reminds me of Leave it to Beaver. Still a vibrant downtown with local supermarket and hardware stores, restaurants, and bakeries. A lot of the income is from tourists, but since it's the county seat a lot of govt jobs help the local economy.

The 4th of July parade reminds me of my old town in the 60's, and that stuff doesn't happen much anymore.

Go a little north and check out Westfield, seems to be a lot of "old money" there with some great little restaurants.

I would not mind retiring there, except for the 155 inches of snow they have had already this year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York