Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 11:12 AM

79 posts, read 396,222 times

Advertisements

I just returned from the Lake George area, and as usual, I loved every minute of cruising on my motorcycle in the Adoroundack (did I spell that right?) Park. I have to say, NYS roads are pretty good when compared to where I live (MA). While waiting in a pizza joint, I picked up the local real estate for sale guide, and could not believe the wide range of house and property prices. There were some listings in there that seemed too good to be true valuewise. I've heard horror strories as far as cost of living and taxes go, but could it actually be any worse than MA where we'll be paying for the big dig for generations to come? Can anybody have higher car ins. rates than us? (maybe Jersey) How's the car and property ins. rates in NY. I too, thought about moving south, or west, but after seeing the horrible weather in the rest of the country, (either burning up, or flooding out) I'ts not so bad here. Sorry for the long hijacking, but maybe I'm a northener for good, and I just need to find the right place, cuz I don't like Mass. at all. By the way, my mother comes from the village of Champlain, and I have lots of relatives in Moores and Chazy. Anybody from there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 07:00 PM

15 posts, read 50,065 times
Hi we moved from LI this past Nov, and I think I'm ready to gome HOME, I miss so much..........

Old 07-10-2007, 08:00 PM

961 posts, read 2,503,888 times
Noodle...you were close....it's Adirondack. I'm in central NY, but have relatives in "The North Country".

Old 07-10-2007, 10:34 PM

201 posts, read 1,282,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
I moved from northern NY to Charlotte, NC in 2001. I too had the same experience. So much hatred for everyone, especially us northerners. What part of the state were you in?
I really highly doubt that. I live in NC, and I know maybe 5 people who were born an raised here, and at least 50 from NY or NJ...

No one is really from here, they all came from different places (Including Me).
I LOVE Charlotte, but I think one thing that MAY annoy southerners is that ppl from NY come down here in massive numbers. They outnumber the natives.
All they do is complain once they get down here how boring it is, how hot it is, how there is no this, how there is no that... It really never stops, they complain non-stop and still stay.

Some of the coolest people I have ever known are NY Natives, but on the other hand there is some real weirdos and jerks I have met from NY, but it's all relative and the same everywhere.

I don't know where the hell you stay in Charlotte. Where I live everyone is from NY. Like EVERYONE. Another thing which makes it kinda annoying now that I think about it is this...

I live in a neighborhood that is nice to me, but considered "Ghetto". Alot of people from NY buy a house in my neighborhood just till there big house on the other side of town is being done being built, and there kids always talk about how they are from the hood an gutter and there family consists of a stock broker Dad and Lawyer Mom and they are fake and think we will believe them that they are hard, or cool just they are from NY. So every week there is 3 new familys on the block and half on them have a massive chip on there shoulder and act like they are better than you because they are from a bigger city than you,they stay 2 months, than trash there yard an leave, and rent the house out to some immigrant family with 9 kids. This is actually a reason why where I live has become a less desirable area and the crime has gone up.

However, I know some losers who were born an raised here and are truly backwards and hate NY people for absolutely no reason.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:20 AM

22 posts, read 64,001 times
I live in NC but am visting family in upstate NY. This AM I was in the hotel lobby listening to a guy from NYC on his cell phone screaming about how he was in town to pick up a few houses and calling the area of NY that I was in backwoods people, wouldn't know investing if it hit them, etc.......basically loud and disrespectful. I KNOW cell phone etiquette is a big part here, but really, I couldn't stand the guy and being from NYC I felt bad for him because he just really had no clue. I think that is why most people from the SOuth can't stand people from NY. They think we are all from NYC and want to rip us off.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:39 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
the upstate downstate relationship is tense at best.....people from upstate ny generalize those from downstate as arrogant, snooty, and rude...people form downstate ny generalize those from upstate as, backwards, uneducated, and naive.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:59 AM

254 posts, read 1,142,592 times
[quote=StPete2Charlotte;1044326]I really highly doubt that. I live in NC, and I know maybe 5 people who were born an raised here, and at least 50 from NY or NJ...

No one is really from here, they all came from different places (Including Me).....

You are judging Charlotte and the region by your own choice of association. If you just stay in your neighborhood and go to the store and go to work, you will likely see the influx of Northerners. The ONLY thing it would take for you to see what so many are talking about in the natives is to go and get involved in a Baptist church or the like. You will then see people like you have never seen and you will wonder where in the world they all come from and where they live. I know we dont see many people writing about what social circles they live within but maybe many of them are getting this perception from church or other similar social circles. After all, you will not see a high amount of Northerners in the conservative type venues. Now, I'm not slamming Baptist or Southerners, its their thing and I respect their religious and conservative lifestyles but that is one BIG area you will come in contact with the Southern populace.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:46 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
Probably true, but most Baptist churches around Charlotte are just that...outside of Charlotte. Most churches in Charlotte are now non-denominational, Presbyterian, and Methodist.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:51 PM

254 posts, read 1,142,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Probably true, but most Baptist churches around Charlotte are just that...outside of Charlotte. Most churches in Charlotte are now non-denominational, Presbyterian, and Methodist.
Yes, there are many churches in Charlotte other than Baptist but there are many small ones and a couple mega-Baptist churches. One is Northside Baptist which is where I found my wife. And,( which has gotten a bit more contemporary but still alot of home grown folks) and then you have Hickory Grove Baptist and it is there you will see a huge amount of natives. However, when I say Charlotte, I refer to the Metro area which also includes the very big First Baptist of Indian Trail, Sardis Baptist and 2 satellite churches of Hickory Grove. First Baptist in Downtown Charlotte has alot of natives and is very conservative compared to those with the name "first" anything. Now, perhaps the biggest pool of native Southerners is in Central Church of God on Sardis Rd which if you don’t go there I can almost guarantee that you have family or a close friend that goes there, if you are a Southerner.

In my 23 yrs of living in the Charlotte area, I can honestly say I have known on a personal basis or associated with less than 1 dozen Northerners. I was almost exclusively surrounded with all natives. Not by choice, that’s just where I found myself because I was closely associated with the conservative religious circles or those who were part of it. Of course I knew the Northerners were flooding in but I never had occasion to associate.
Therefore, its where your choice of association is. But I can say that Charlotte is absolutely SLAM full of born & bred Southerners.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:41 PM

4 posts, read 12,671 times
Default Don't do it!

Just remember why you left NY. I came back after moving to South Florida. 6 months later, I am now trying to move to California!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York