Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 01:02 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times

Advertisements

Legally true but most consider it the Potomac which is the theoretical line between North and South
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 07:29 PM

145 posts, read 499,070 times
Just moved back to NY from Colorado....
This state is horrible - taxes are nuts, health insurance is outrageous and dental insurance - forget about it...
I am buying a house and the attorneys are in the middle of a pissing match and they are making my life hell.
There are beautiful places in this state but there are many ghettos..
I am a New Yorker and I can tell there are plenty of reasons to leave this place.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:32 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
I just returned from the Lake George area, and as usual, I loved every minute of cruising on my motorcycle in the Adoroundack (did I spell that right?) Park. I have to say, NYS roads are pretty good when compared to where I live (MA). While waiting in a pizza joint, I picked up the local real estate for sale guide, and could not believe the wide range of house and property prices. There were some listings in there that seemed too good to be true valuewise. I've heard horror strories as far as cost of living and taxes go, but could it actually be any worse than MA where we'll be paying for the big dig for generations to come? Can anybody have higher car ins. rates than us? (maybe Jersey) How's the car and property ins. rates in NY. I too, thought about moving south, or west, but after seeing the horrible weather in the rest of the country, (either burning up, or flooding out) I'ts not so bad here. Sorry for the long hijacking, but maybe I'm a northener for good, and I just need to find the right place, cuz I don't like Mass. at all. By the way, my mother comes from the village of Champlain, and I have lots of relatives in Moores and Chazy. Anybody from there?
Property taxes? Highest in the country in Upstate NY...outside Buffalo taxes on a 350k house in Williamsville is 13,000. Mine were 9800.00 a year in Getzville...Rochest er is worse! you are supporting a huge govt. The more folks leave and they are LEAVING more than moving in - the higher your tax bill will be. Relo families drop their jaws when they see the taxes ( they were lured in on the low house price which is NOT low in the burbs). Many never take the job. Sad reality - even the agents complain about the taxes - it's killing their biz. FOr a retiree, it's just plain stupid to pay those prices for no matter how pretty the trees and vista. Home is where you make it. Blomm where you are planted. Getting all emotional about what home is can get ya in a peck of trouble.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:42 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagenyjoe View Post
Believe me moonchild, I know exactly what you mean. In the 10 short months I've been back, the reality of the cost of living and the run-down nature of many towns has sent me into shock. I have no choice at this point because I need to care for my aging mom. But even with that, We all have to live somewhere and NY is for sure a very unique state and someone said it correctly that if you grew up in NY it is difficust at best to live anywhere else. Believe me, I understand wanting to flee yet again but I am getting too old to keep running and I know proof positive that the South is not for me anymore. I just have to figure out how to make this place work out for my family. Lots of great places in this country but I love NY dearly.
Best wishes to you in your move.
Ditto. Mom refuses to leave. I have moved back twice. The problem is you remember it one way but it's changed in the interim and you pay for those mistakes...emotions can be the very expensive...it is depressing because it is in decay...so I say if you left, respect that, and bloom where you are planted...wordsworth was right..you can't go home again.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:02 AM

60 posts, read 323,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
Italian food IS better in NY. Its a fact. If you move to NY and say that you want to visit NC so you can get some decent grits do you honestly think that any northerner with more than a room temperature IQ is going to interpret that as you saying that NY is inferior? No! You are simply saying that NY 's grits aren't as good. I can live with that. Why can't you?
None of the above is true. Good grits abound in Harlem and Brooklyn. Remember, most of the NY black population are ancestors of freed slaves. So there's plenty of southern food (albeit of the "soul food" variety), you just have to look for it.

T.S. Monk was from Rocky Mount, but grew up on the U.W.S. And he didn't complain about food until touring Europe.

Likewise for the South, you can find good Italian... but in the cities, not in the outlying country areas where many Northerners are moving.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:05 AM

60 posts, read 323,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Maryland is South of the Mason-Dixon line.
And I think Cape May, NJ is also!

Old 09-25-2007, 09:13 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Ditto. Mom refuses to leave. I have moved back twice. The problem is you remember it one way but it's changed in the interim and you pay for those mistakes...emotions can be the very expensive...it is depressing because it is in decay...so I say if you left, respect that, and bloom where you are planted...wordsworth was right..you can't go home again.
you are being kind of stupid....you keep saying bloom where you are planted, that means to stay where you grew up. You can go home again, I did, you are wrong, and again being stupid...so stop trolling these forums just to say the same thing over and over again. Especially since half of it is wrong, and half of it goes against the point you are trying to make. Not to mention you've said it in about every one of your posts.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:55 PM

8 posts, read 25,718 times
It's all a matter of experience, perception, and viewpoint. I currently live in a small central Florida town and wish to return to WNY. We ponder the possibilities of relocating to a more progressive city in Florida; however the gains don't outweigh the costs. To escape intolerance and prejudice and to find a community with people that share common values, we would need to move to a larger city with bad traffic, more crime, and expensive property. People in WNY complain of property taxes; however a 250,000 home in suburban FL equates to a 80,000-100,000 home in suburban Buffalo. 4000-5000 taxes per year still don't jack the mortgage as high, and from my experiences, public services are much better in WNY. Sure, NY has its downfalls and intolerance can be found everywhere, seemingly not as much it can be in several small communities in the Deep South. Though we have met some fantastic people and friends, aggression, pride, and intolerance seem to be woven into the fabric of the current community in which we live in Florida. I find it easier to relate to people and find my niche when I'm home. Certainly we love the weather in FL, the beaches, and access to recreation. But, home keeps calling me back. It can't be replaced. It's all a matter of perspective.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:04 AM

59 posts, read 226,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catie View Post
Good point NorthMeetsSouth. If it were the other way around...and a southerner came to NY and spoke about how better things were in NC people up here would be ready to send them on a train home. It works both ways.

Its good to look at things from another person's point of view..it can be an eye opener.
That is very true. And some people are never happy wherever they go. I had been reading many of the NC threads and supposedly many NY'ers were happy there.... or could they have been realtors posing as happy folk? hmmmm. Was thinking of it seriously, and liked Asheville but were going to the Catskills instead.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:49 PM

41 posts, read 122,732 times
Thumbs up I wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblupink View Post
That is very true. And some people are never happy wherever they go. I had been reading many of the NC threads and supposedly many NY'ers were happy there.... or could they have been realtors posing as happy folk? hmmmm. Was thinking of it seriously, and liked Asheville but were going to the Catskills instead.
I wish I had known about this board before I moved! Congratulations on going to the Catskills instead of Asheville, or mainly anywhere in the South. Smart, smart move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York