Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2007, 09:56 PM

5 posts, read 20,003 times

Advertisements

I am from/born Chemung County and have a lot of family still there, but live in Citrus County FL now. I have been here a long time. I think NY is a really beautiful state, but being in the south now so long I know I can not handle the winters there. I have found that the people living here that are happy, were happy there too, and the people that complain, complained there too. There is 2 girls working together in our office, 1 from LI NY and 1 florida born, they get along fine and are friends out of the office, but they are both just happy people. The only thing that I seen that made southerners angry is when people move here because of the water quality and rural area and then proceed to try to change it. Or when we have to hear "thats not how we did it in NY". People just need to realize when they move to another state, things are different. I can't buy grits and get sweet iced tea in your restaurants, but I can't buy 'Grandma Brown's baked beans' here. Just be happy where ever God seems to place you - even for a little while, and make friends. (I personally love NC and TN area - my parents go to TN every summer and have made a lot of friends that call and write-but they love to learn about the area and people where ever they travel) I would move to TN, but my florida born husband can't leave the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 12:19 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida southerner 3 View Post
Well good riddance to y'all! I'm glad our ways and culture sent you back from whence you came! And as for your belief in billions of years vs. thousands, there's much more evidence to prove a young earth over an old one! Science and God goes hand in hand. But, then with your superior Yankee education, you should have known that! Your kind ain't wanted and never will be in Dixie! Your social progressivism is just another way of saying you're weakminded, politically correct, puppets of the modern age. So great! Y'all left the South! Maybe this will start a trend and many more of y'all that think this way will exit the great Land of Dixie! It's one of my many missions to make life miserable for Yankees and others that want to change us! This doesn't apply to all Northerners, but where the shoe fits!
This post, whether done in pure jest or sincere honesty, probably encapsulates the true feelings the majority of southerners.....sad sad sad ...they really do hold a grudge.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:36 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Law View Post
Hello everyone,

When my husband and I decided to leave the North and move to Tennessee, we researched it, visited the state and said let's give it a try. But, it's impossible to understand a place until you live there. The obvious point here is that we, as northerners, had no preconceived notions, no negative ideas, no prejudices or bad attitudes towards the South or it's people. We just thought of it another region of the United States. We were, in a sense, innocents.

It's a very one-sided phenomenon. Most Southerners have a distrust and dislike of Yankees that's passed down from generation to generation. We must remember several factors that contribute to the lingering 'hatred' of the North. First of all, historically speaking, the Civil War wasn't that long ago. Secondly, the vast majority of the bloody battles were fought in the South. Third, the stronger, industialized Union made sure the weaker, agriculturally based South was completely and totally crippled, so it couldn't rise again. And fourth, some very opportunistic Yankee carpetbaggers when down there and monetarily benefitted from the suffering of a broken Southern population.

Yes, slavery ended. And that was a very good thing. But, there's a lot of things the North did that were questionable. I never understood why the South had to be forced against it's will to stay in the Union.

We moved back North because we don't fit in the South. My husband and I are highly educated, poltically independent, socially progressive people. We're for saving the planet rather than praying for Armageddon. And although we're spiritual individuals, we prefer science to the born-again Christian nonsensical brain-washing that the earth is just a mere thousands of years old. Now, we're willing to pay the taxes for the superior education northerners receive. We found the South way too white bread, homogenized and not very individualistic. We're thrilled to be with the large array of varying cultures with their excellent restaurants other than Applebee's, and the good shopping other than Wal*Mart, and the interesting activities other than Nascar.

We are buying a home in New York and we are thrilled to be back. I freer than I ever felt before. It was an important life lesson.
Jane, thank you for your very lucid remarks and for understanding the impact of the Civil War on today's South. I wish you God's blessings on your journey, and thank you for the years you spent in our area of the United States.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:05 PM

672 posts, read 905,330 times
Default You go your way, I will go mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida southerner 3 View Post
Well good riddance to y'all! I'm glad our ways and culture sent you back from whence you came! And as for your belief in billions of years vs. thousands, there's much more evidence to prove a young earth over an old one! Science and God goes hand in hand. But, then with your superior Yankee education, you should have known that! Your kind ain't wanted and never will be in Dixie! Your social progressivism is just another way of saying you're weakminded, politically correct, puppets of the modern age. So great! Y'all left the South! Maybe this will start a trend and many more of y'all that think this way will exit the great Land of Dixie! It's one of my many missions to make life miserable for Yankees and others that want to change us! This doesn't apply to all Northerners, but where the shoe fits!
I am not trying to change your homeland. Why should I? It isn't MY home and can never be. By the same token, don't ask me to assimilate. Assimilate for WHAT?

I grew up in Manhattan among people from the North and South, East and West, besides people from Europe, Asia, South America, etc. Some were tourists, some became permanent residents. I never once complained about their accents or languages, whether American or foreign, let alone demand that they "assimilate" in the culture of NYC (whatever that is), or even the culture of AMERICA. This is a free country and you are free to be whoever you want to be. You also have the right of free travel between the states. Besides, what would the State of Florida's economy be without tourists and snowbirds? Pretty dismal I would guess.

When the time is right, I will go home. Until then, just try to ignore me which is what I will do to you. Don't give me any false "southern friendless". I just want to be left alone. Is that too much to ask? I will not be using your beaches or taking part in any aspect of what Florida has to offer (little for me). I will work, go shopping, and go home. I will try to have as little outside contact in this state as possible. I will not even vote in any of your local elections either because, quite frankly, I don't give a damn about the local politics of Florida. So, as such, you can keep Florida as southern as you wish. NATIONAL elections are another matter entirely.

Live your own life as you see fit, and leave me alone to live my life as I see fit.

Hopefully, we will NEVER meet.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:20 PM

5 posts, read 20,003 times
Wow! I am sorry you had such bad experiences in Florida. I have never seen this happening, especially when there are very few native floridians here in florida. The younger generation that are florida born aren't like this. Not from what I see in my children and their friends. When I moved here the schools weren't that great, but the schools now are good and the students are compared to a national standard and do well. We do have our crazies, but so does NY. We do know that the bulk of Florida income comes from Tourists . And not all Southern Hospitality is false.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:09 PM

158 posts, read 446,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstar View Post
Wow! I am sorry you had such bad experiences in Florida. I have never seen this happening, especially when there are very few native floridians here in florida. The younger generation that are florida born aren't like this. Not from what I see in my children and their friends. When I moved here the schools weren't that great, but the schools now are good and the students are compared to a national standard and do well. We do have our crazies, but so does NY. We do know that the bulk of Florida income comes from Tourists . And not all Southern Hospitality is false.
Very few native Floridians here in Florida!!!??? Who are you kidding? Florida has 67 counties and 18 million people. Out of those 18 million people around 7 or 8 million give or take, are Southern, either Floridians or from other Southern states. The rest, some 10 or 11 million, although constituting most of the population are mainly concentrated in roughly 7 or 8 of those counties. The other 59 or 60 counties are largley Southern and largely rural! The Southern population is more spread out and encompasses the majority of Florida's land in counties and small towns and even some areas of larger cities such as Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando, and especially Lakeland.

Maybe in your limited areas where you're at there's more Yankees than Southerners, but you can't base a whole state on your one area! I've been to many many areas all over Florida where Southerners abound, Southern accents pervade, Southern culture exists, and such. Mickey Mouse may draw people to Florida, but there's much more to Florida than the big Mouse! Get your facts straight before speaking about a state you obviously haven't a clue about!

Old 11-15-2007, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,565 times
Please nobody flame me for shooting off the east coast for a second,
but I'm from upstate (the cayuga lake area) and now live in north texas.

Anyone else's family screw up and land in Texas? Cuz all this talk about Northerners in VA, NC and such being hated is not the complete view of ALL THE SOUTH. They don't hate you here for being from the north, they hate you here for being anything other than rich and a football player.
This is only my opinion but the fight between northeasterners and southeasterns seems to be (on a limb here) about pride in your home.
And I totally love NY, especially now that I'm in the greediest state (on another limb) ever but texans don't give one way or another if you're a new york kid or a virginia kid- if you aren't a rich snob you're unwanted.

(The whole "everyone's an ***hole in texas" thing is not for all of texas,
Austin is kinda nice. But the suburbs in North Tx are the base of my experience in cruelty.)

Anyone else move from NY and know what I'm talking about?

Old 11-15-2007, 03:36 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,384 times
Default HockeyMom72

So if you resent Fl so much, why Moderator cut: inappropriate did you come here? Its pretty sad when you form opinions about people who live here and even worst that you wouldn't even say hello or give a wave Hi to a neighbor, I hope you get your wish soon that you can return to where ever it was you came from.
And yes, I'll be sure to ignore you.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:43 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Because it wasn't by choice. She had to because of a job, otherwise my family would be pretty poor and lose our house.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:16 AM

672 posts, read 905,330 times
Default Why are you on the NY board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
So if you resent Fl so much, why Moderator cut: inappropriate did you come here? Its pretty sad when you form opinions about people who live here and even worst that you wouldn't even say hello or give a wave Hi to a neighbor, I hope you get your wish soon that you can return to where ever it was you came from.
And yes, I'll be sure to ignore you.
Stay on the Florida board if you love it so much. This is a thread about New Yorkers who moved South and regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York