Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 09:46 AM

75 posts, read 407,099 times

Advertisements

It's great to see others who have bucked the trend and moved back up north. I was on the bandwagon from the Binghamton area that got sucked into the NC hype. I found the racism, backward thinking and general inefficiency to be too much. It didn't help that I work in education and found the working conditions in NC deplorable. I also found the cost of living in NC to be much higher than in NY, including taxes other than real estate since I was a renter. NC seems to hit you with more personal taxes - sales tax on food, that odd personal property tax on my car...I dont remember all. There's no doubt NY is high, but our schools aren't trailer parks, the curriculum is far better and in general, I feel like I get more out of my taxes than I have elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 11:46 AM

663 posts, read 2,255,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
I hope that before too many years and if the economy will pick up that I will be able to leave the South oh, the heat, the sun, the rude people. Today I drove home from Walmart and did not see a single person outside in a 8 mile drive, where was everyone? They were in the A/C homes not daring to come out because of the heat (90). Yet these same people say they love FL. but what kind of life is it that because you'll get a heat stroke if you're out more than 20 mins. most of these people hate to admit they are stuck here and are as miserable as everyone.

NY is just a different state of mind, at least you have 4 seasons, and since I hate the heat, I would love to walk in Central Park around Sept/Oct, go to Radio Music Hall at Christmas and spend July 4th up in Riverdale to watch the fireworks over the Palisades.

Yup, New York is the place to be..........my hometown.
Houston is the same way ... no one is outside!! I used to hate a/c but now it's required. I can't wait to get back to NY.

One thing I DO find down here that I like is that people like to make friends with other people ..... in NY people are set in their ways and don't like to make new friends so much. That made me a little sad.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:26 PM

12 posts, read 41,200 times
nothing is like ny

Old 08-01-2008, 02:38 AM

9 posts, read 51,152 times
Default Missing Ny too, the south is low quality everything

You are 100 % right. I moved my wife and kids to Augusta,GA area and its a dump! I regret it so much!You see so much ignorance and racism here its sad.I'm white, my wife is African-American and Chinese and kids on the school bus called my 8 year old Daughter a "*****" so much that my Wife now drives her and my sons to school.The bus driver says its not his business what the kids say to each other.8 year olds!
Lets see ,you get called a "yankee" by some dumbass with 5th grade reading level at least 10 times a day.The service people and workers are so lazy it is laughable and the local high school just had its first "integrated" prom, only about 40 years behind the rest of America down here.The mentality is plantation down here . its truly sad.We're relocating to Long Island with all its high taxes and traffic and will never regret that!

Old 08-02-2008, 09:31 PM

15 posts, read 37,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby65GA View Post
You are 100 % right. I moved my wife and kids to Augusta,GA area and its a dump! I regret it so much!You see so much ignorance and racism here its sad.I'm white, my wife is African-American and Chinese and kids on the school bus called my 8 year old Daughter a "*****" so much that my Wife now drives her and my sons to school.The bus driver says its not his business what the kids say to each other.8 year olds!
Lets see ,you get called a "yankee" by some dumbass with 5th grade reading level at least 10 times a day.The service people and workers are so lazy it is laughable and the local high school just had its first "integrated" prom, only about 40 years behind the rest of America down here.The mentality is plantation down here . its truly sad.We're relocating to Long Island with all its high taxes and traffic and will never regret that!
I'm sorry to hear the unfortunate incident with your daughter. I live in Charlotte, NC. I've had a neighborhood kid (not more than 6 years old) tell my 2 year old to "shut up, B**** fo' I kill you!" My husband and I are looking to get out of here and move to a nice quiet town up north.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:53 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,838,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
This "senior" who originally came from The Bronx, NY, moved to New Jersey and now live in Floridaaaaa, wishes with all her heart that she could go back to New York. First of all, when you among people who share similar things food/neighborhoods/schools its a ice breaker for most people. I've been to NC, SC and parts in between, yet give me NYC......since a young girl, I have loved Manhattan, there are just sooo many different parts to NY that it would take the rest of my lifetime to see it all, and yet there are places in NY I've never been.

I hope that before too many years and if the economy will pick up that I will be able to leave the South oh, the heat, the sun, the rude people. Today I drove home from Walmart and did not see a single person outside in a 8 mile drive, where was everyone? They were in the A/C homes not daring to come out because of the heat (90). Yet these same people say they love FL. but what kind of life is it that because you'll get a heat stroke if you're out more than 20 mins. most of these people hate to admit they are stuck here and are as miserable as everyone.

NY is just a different state of mind, at least you have 4 seasons, and since I hate the heat, I would love to walk in Central Park around Sept/Oct, go to Radio Music Hall at Christmas and spend July 4th up in Riverdale to watch the fireworks over the Palisades.

Yup, New York is the place to be..........my hometown.
Hi Songbird42, it's DAS from the NYC forum. I was wondering why you haven't posted on the NYC forum for awhile. What in the world are you doing down there? You are a tried and true NYer. Come on back home.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:41 PM

26 posts, read 118,310 times
Every town is different, and they all have their own challenges. But whenever I go somewhere new, to visit or live, I remember this poem:

"It isn't the Town, It's You"
By: R.W. Glever

If you want to live in the kind of town
Like the kind of town you like,
You needn't pack your clothes in a grip
And start on a long, long hike

For you'll only find what you've left behind,
For there's nothing that's really new.
When you blame your town, you blame yourself;
For it isn't the town, it's you.

Real towns are not made by men afraid
Lest someone else gets ahead
But when everyone works, and nobody shirks
You can raise a town from the dead.

So if while you make your personal stake,
You neighbor can make one too,
You'll have the town you like to see
For it isn't the town, it's you.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:37 AM

181 posts, read 629,702 times
We moved from Michigan to North Carolina a few weeks ago. So far the people have been nice we are very close to Virginia. So far I 'm not thrilled. Too hot, too many bugs and kids never play outside. Miss the air of a open window like home.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:37 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,064,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reese7 View Post
Miss the air of a open window like home.
To be fair, you will be able to open your windows in the fall long after it is too cold to open a window in New York, and much earlier in the spring.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:34 PM

237 posts, read 852,849 times
Just read the article and couldnt say it better. My wife and I moved to NC 1 year ago to make a better life for ourselves. I now understand why people work 2 to 3 jobs to stay in NY. I miss NY badly. When we go back home my wife needs a tow truck to get me outta there. NC works for alot of people, im not one of them. Cant wait to go back home for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missNY View Post
Any yankee down in NC feel like me?? Something is missing here that just isn't home. Lived in the lower hudson valley all my life, got tired of the rat race wanted better life for family....You all know what I mean right?? I even wrote the governor for squashing out the hard working middle class, never heard back. I have been here w/my husband and daughter for 8 LONG months, he's doing better than her and I but we are already putting house back on market. Please NC people when you read this don't get mad I DON"T HATE your state but the majority of you HATE us northerners and I'm sick of it! Guess what you won, we are going back home to kids playing outdoors and neighbors chatting in the front yard and we'll pay through our ***! And yeah some of us may be rude maybe because you are so rude to us, (rolling your eyes as you here my "accent", saying "you won't hold it against me" when I say I'm from NY. I guess I'm bitter, when you get that mostly everyday, how would you feel. Anyway, thanks for letting me sound off and if anybody thinks the grass is greener in NC, think again, don't come here until your kids are grown and you are prepared to live in solitude w/your spouse or significant other.. BYE BYE ignorancy, hello integellency!!! Can't wait to get back, hope my house sells soon!!! I LOVE NY!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York