U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2006, 02:18 PM

27 posts, read 103,735 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Dutchess County - anyone know anything about the high schools, house prices, anything else? Thanks for all info!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2006, 05:55 PM

25 posts, read 107,578 times
I used to have a summer house on a lake in Duchess County near Pawling. Pawling is a nice town, and there is a Metro North Station right in town. From what I understand the schools are good, but the taxes aren't low and neither is the prices of homes. That said, it was about 1 hr 30 minutes from the city and it had a somewhat rural feel to it. It was very nice.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:03 AM

436 posts, read 600,313 times
Dutchess County. One of most popular places NYC people go for second and retirement homes. Expensive real estate in general. Pretty high taxes. Very bucolic area for respite from urban overload. Rhinebeck is a nice town where there is much to do, but look around at the numerous other smart little villages and towns in, around, and out of Dutchess County. The entire area has achingly beautiful places in the countryside, very good cultural venues, good dining, and much history. It is easy to meet literate people and to feel accepted by others. It's a good location to visit other northeast states - visit the town of Stockbridge, MA, go to Tanglewood/Lennox, be in the city in two hours, etc. The views across the Hudson toward the Catskill mountains are hypnotic - one of the reasons Fredric Church built Alana where he did. The Mid-Hudson Hudson Valley has much to recommend it - as long as you're not an unskilled job seeker. Jobs are not plentiful throughout the area in general. Most transplants bring considerable resources from where they came.

Last edited by brian_2; 07-27-2006 at 09:30 AM..

Old 07-27-2006, 01:34 PM

Hmmm.... I'm getting the idea that it might be tough to make a living - I'm an art teacher, my husband is self-employed (entertainment - kids' parties, grand openings, affairs, picnics etc.) Trouble is, I can't look for a job until I decide on an area. It sounds so nice, though, that I'm going up next week to look around... Thanks to all for info, any more appreciated!

Old 07-27-2006, 03:25 PM

6,764 posts, read 21,031,966 times
I'd avoid Poughkeepsie..(I went to college there and it was not good that many years ago so I imagine it's worse now). There are some nice Hudson Valley places but like other people say it's expensive and you have to work.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:38 PM

6 posts, read 28,041 times
Default Dutchess County

I use to live in Dutchess County, in Wappingers Falls, which is just south of Poughkeepsie. Nice area for families, but you don't want to be within the city limits of Poughkeepsie. Taxes are higher and that part of town is not desirable except for dining out, entertainment etc. After IBM moved in and the mall opened on Rt 9 the prices of houses soared. There are alot of Corrections employees in the area because it is within driving distance of 3 large prisons. If you dont want to spend 100 thousand or more for a house, you might consider going to the other side of the river. I also lived in Highland, which is just over the bridge (Ulster County). It's much cheaper on that side of the water. Rt 9W offers some good dining out. Fishkill area to the south is also nice, suburban but stay away from Newburgh. Good luck hunting around!

Old 07-28-2006, 11:18 AM

Fishkill does sound nice - I'm looking at both lower Dutchess and Putnam. Unfortunately I'm a teacher and I won't know where (or if, but I don't want to thank about that) I'll be getting a job until next summer, which is when I want to move! Thanks for all the advice.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:30 PM

436 posts, read 600,313 times
Good suggestion Rascal58 - check out both sides of the Hudson. I had a house in Ulster County.

Good advise about P-town too, the Bardavon is a great venue to visit, but I wouldn't live in P-town.

I have a few pics of area (Woodstock/Rhinebeck) at blogger.com under name "baisez-le"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York