Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 08:24 AM

68 posts, read 516,021 times

Advertisements

When are you moving? May/ June
Where are you coming from?
SC
Why are you moving? School needs for 12 yo with Autism spectrum
Where will you be working? somewhere hopefully college admin now, ba degree in fine arts/graphic art (freelancing)
Have you been here yet? no

Will you buy or rent?
rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
either, less than 1000? newer & clean (single parenting)
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? walk up

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
single, 2 boys 12 & 3
Do you prefer public or private schools? public/ special
Do you have pets? 2 dogs (may leave with family if needed for a while )
Do you want or need a yard? ideally, but could make do.
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? calm & quiet, with bustling within half an hour

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
people

Coke or Pepsi?
coke, although trying to quit soda so water

Ithaca? Seems like exactly the kind of place i'd like to live. Other areas similar with great special ed services (great schools don't always = great special ed). What I've heard about their special services is mixed.

What about this BOCES? Would it be a good idea to move into one of those areas?

Thanks for any advice! I'm also looking at PA. I HAVE to move - have been saying this for three years. I'm exhausted trying to get my son services here. I've had lawyers, advocates, done research, fought the school systems, they just don't have any resources to support him. I finally have been working again in the last year and tax return will fund move....but am still re-working my career goals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 10:58 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
The village of Manlius, in the Fayetteville-Manlius school district. Within driving distance (15-40 minutes) of Syracuse University, SUNY Cortland/OCC/Environmental School of Science and Forestry, Cazenovia College, Columbia College, Colgate... let me dig up some links for you.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:22 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I've heard that Baldwinsville supposedly have good special education services. Same for the East Syracuse-Minoa SD and the Onondaga SD, according to what I've heard.

My daughter, who is four, is lower in the autism spectrum and she goes to the Jowonio School on Syracuse's East Side. They might have something that would suggest what schools are good for Special Ed services. Jowonio School

As for college towns that might be affordable, I'd also look at Oneonta, Cobleskill, Oswego, Plattsburgh, Geneseo, Fredonia, Cortland, Potsdam and Canton, along with some others.

Here's some information you might find to be interesting:
Cnylink Local Entertainment: NAPA joins effort to ‘fix’ Autism
CNY ASA - CNY Autism Society of America
The FEAT of CNY // Families for Effective Autism Treatment of CNY, Syracuse and surrounding areas.
SyracuseAutism.com

Old 01-24-2010, 06:41 PM

68 posts, read 516,021 times
Thank you both...this is all so helpful. I'm feeling enormous amounts of pressure to get this move right. I need to settle somewhere, we've changed schools too much, that's not helping....

Asperger's is treated as part of the spectrum there right? Here, it is not...which leads to more difficulties. I will look further into those areas! Still looking at PA and outside of Boston, but upstate NY seems to be calling to me most....

Old 01-24-2010, 07:34 PM

200 posts, read 604,851 times
A friend of mine teaches at Midlakes HS in Clifton Springs - excellent special ed facilities there, very affordable area, 45 min to Syracuse (SU, Lemoyne, etc.)and Ithaca (Ithaca College, Cornell), 40 min from Rochester (U of R, RIT, MCC, St John Fisher, Nazareth), 30 min from Keuka (Keuka College) and Aurora (Aurora), 15 min from Geneva (Hobart & William Smith), and Canandaigua (FLCC). Very safe, but rural (not that that's a bad thing, just not for me). There are supermarkets, drugstores, and other basic amenities around, but you'd have to drive to Rochester or Syracuse for much of anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York