Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 09:12 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,306 times

Advertisements

What is the deal with all of the glowing reviews of Hudson, NY? After reading a lot of positive things on this town, my wife and I (with child) took a day-trip drive up there from NYC excited to see a charming community. What we found was a hell hole! We did not even get out of the car.

Dilapitated buildings, seedy people wandering around (unkempt... seemed to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs). It was terrible. About the only positive thing I can say is that there was a lot of police cars patrolling the area.

I continue to see glowing reviews on the place and I am boggled by it.

We went on a Monday, arriving around noon. All I can think is that the place is COMPLETELY different on a weekend. If so... these glowing reviews (the latest being today on a show called 'Metro Residential') might want to mention this so people to not waste a day journeying there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 02:23 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Hudson is NOT a cheery town (as you've discovered). Most people go there for the antique stores, but it's pretty dreary, overall.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:16 PM

4 posts, read 15,536 times
totally understand your reaction to Hudson, I've been going there for decades, just for day visits. it gained reputation 15 years ago or so and as a weekend getaway for artsy NYers, cheap real estate and fun shops to visit, nature all about.

but i'm looking for a home and it was suggested to me that i check out Hudson again. But i remember gun shots while we played scrabble on a Sat nite drinking margueritas. Beautiful towns all around, maybe you could check those out. With a child, dunno how schools are.

but, yeah, it gets suggested too often for my taste, too.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:28 PM

69 posts, read 155,884 times
I had the same reaction you did, kemcnyc. We lived in a small town in Columbia County and planned to do a lot of our shopping in Hudson. Before we moved up there (from NYC), everyone gushed about how "adorable" and "quaint" and "cute" Hudson is. We rolled in expecting something from a Norman Rockwell painting. What we found was a depressed, crumbling little city with shabby falling down houses and more than a couple of genuinely sketchy neighborhoods. Lots of antiques stores and some pretty mountain views from the hilltops, but it really doesn't make up for the rest, IMHO.

I don't get it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York