Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 44,981 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm moving to the Fort Drum area in NY and am looking to rent a house or duplex (1 or 2 bedroom) that allows well-behaved pets. Preferably it would be located in a nice area. Since I currently live out of state, I'm trying to find places via the web, but with little success. What is a good way to locate rental property in Watertown, NY? I tried the local newspaper and craigslist and didn't have much luck finding houses for rent.

Also, what municipalities near Fort Drum are nice? Felt Mills?

Ideally, I would like a place where I can feel safe walking my dog or that is near nature. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 44,981 times
Default 411 about rental property

Hi,
No one ever responded to my information request about locating rental property in Watertown, NY, so I thought it would help other non-locals if I posted my results in finding rental property. First, good luck. The reason craigslist and the local newspaper had a poor selection for rental property is because there is an extreme shortage of rental property available in the area. And to make the housing situation worse, most landlords (houses/duplexes) will not rent to people with pets. Although the landlords were very nice, they made it seem like having pets was some spontaneous choice that you made and it would do you better if you forgot that your pets are a part of your family.

If you are looking for rental property in Watertown and find an ad in the newspaper or craigslist, act immediately and make every attempt to see the place and make an offer right away, preferrably that day.

If you are concerned about bad neighborhoods in Watertown, a local told me that there are really no bad neighborhoods just some bad houses. But as a general rule, anything north of the river is supposedly the "bad" area. I found Watertown to be an extremely small town and I didn't feel unsafe in any of the areas I was in.

I hope this helps any out-of-staters looking for a rental house in Watertown.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:07 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,105 times
I grew up in Watertown, if you have any questions on the area, I would be more then happy to help you. There is a huge shortage on rentals. With Fort Drum bringing way too many soldiers into the area and not having enough housing for them, it is also causing the rent to skyrocket, which is send the locals into a hissy. The hourly wages do not match the cost of living. There are many things you need to realize before moving up there. You may be used to huge apartment complex, etc, not in Watertown most of the homes are very old with poor installation. You really are better off buying a home instead of renting. As far as the areas around Fort Drum Brownville, Carthage, Evans Mills, Theresa, Philadelphia, Adams they are all nice areas. Theresa makes their own power so their electric bill is much cheaper, I think the same goes for Philly. Your electric bill if you have Niagra Mohawk has a supplier can run anywhere from 300-500 a month in the winter time. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

About the north-south side thing. The worst area in Watertown is located on the south side of the river. You can not listen to people. I grew up on the north side and my parents own a beautiful home in a nice neighborhood. The areas that are bad in Watertown are those located mainly off the main roads, lower State St, until you hit the Pearl St area. Lower Coffeen St and Arsenal. On the north side Maywood Terrace, E Main St. Other then that the north side is actually nice. The people that think they have money...at least for Watertown live up off from Washington St and over near Ives golf course, this is what they consider the nice side of town. Your best bet is to try to just get housing. I married a soldier and lived in housing for a few years, it wasn't too bad. Also I heard that all the off base housing is going private. A great website for you to surf for local news up there is Watertown NY Breaking News | Newzjunky.com | Watertown New York | Sports, Weather, Traffic | Fort Drum Apartments Housing | North Country | Thousand Islands, it used to be a great site. I have a friend that has a rental in Philadelphia, however I do not know if it is rented out or not. It was a half of a duplex and I know the last tenants had animals, they let the animals crap all over the basement...gross huh? Any how very good luck. I am making my way up there in July to visit family!

Old 06-21-2007, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 22,324 times
I'm not quite sure how far away from Fort Drum you are willing to move, but my husband and I currently own a home in Gouverneur (approx. 30 miles north of Ft. Drum). We are looking for a responsible tenant (and a good neighbor for the sake of the neighborhood) to rent to. We certainly do not mind animals. If you are interested you can always let us know and we will contact you and send pictures if you are interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batchaser View Post
Hi,
I'm moving to the Fort Drum area in NY and am looking to rent a house or duplex (1 or 2 bedroom) that allows well-behaved pets. Preferably it would be located in a nice area. Since I currently live out of state, I'm trying to find places via the web, but with little success. What is a good way to locate rental property in Watertown, NY? I tried the local newspaper and craigslist and didn't have much luck finding houses for rent.

Also, what municipalities near Fort Drum are nice? Felt Mills?

Ideally, I would like a place where I can feel safe walking my dog or that is near nature. Thanks for your input.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:13 AM

11 posts, read 114,962 times
Njrover0216, by way of answering the post on rentals you gave me some good info regarding desirable Watertown areas. We are still waiting on a possible job which will relocate us to Watertown (or surrounding area). I have to tell you that I had to stop logging on and reading for awhile because I came away with a negative outlook about moving there. Now, keep in mind that I will be moving from my lifetime hometown (also the place where my parents grew up...) and so perhaps I focused mainly on the negative and downplayed the positive comments about the area--of which there were many. Here's the bottom line: We currently live in an older, well established neighborhood. We have lived here for 9 years and we are the "newbies". My immediate neighbors have lived in their homes for 45-50 years. The streets are wide and tree-lined and quiet. My children (ages 5 and 8) have the run of the neighborhood. There are 20 kids on our block alone which means plenty of playmates. We all know each other. We know all the parents by name, we know the kids, we know the names of the family dogs and cats.
We walk our kids to school, 5 blocks away. We walk to the local ice cream parlor and the "corner" store. It is safe here. It is a good environment for my kids, our family. This is what I want for us in Watertown. Can we find it there?
Although I have made our town sound like "Mayberry" trust me, it is not. On guess I would say the population is 35,000+. We are on an international waterway here, too and so Canada is a 5 min bridge ride away. We have a mall and lots of chain stores and restaurants. The traffic can be really, really congested and ugly to navigate on the main thrufares. Yes, there is crime. There are drugs. There are bad areas around town that I would not live in. I do not have any illusions about this being a storybook town. Overall, though, the good outweighs the bad. I don't live under lock and key and I am not afraid to be on the streets at night. Being near the water is nice--very beautiful in the summer.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 22,151 times
Default Rental property

Hi Batchaser
I just ran across your post. Rental property is difficult to find in this area. The expansion of Fort Drum has resulted in increased rental/sales prices. Please Google all areas that you are considering living in. There are great sites out there that will give you extensive statistics regarding schools, employent, socio-economic status.
We own a home in Felts Mills and as for any community it has its good areas and bad ones. Another site to look for housing is nnyclassifieds.com. This site also includes the Pennysaver. Good luck in your hunt.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 22,084 times
Default Still interested?

I don't mean to butt in, but my wife and I are looking at moving to Gouverneur as I will be stationed at Fort Drum and she will be working at the SUNY Potsdam. If you have not fulfilled your rental request, or, if you can point us towards other possible renters in the Gouverneur area, please contact me at jdwink@hotmail.com

Thanks, and all of the information you all have posted has been extraordinarily beneficial.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 21,997 times
Default Carthage is a good neighborhood

I have been here for five years, stationed at Fort Drum. I just got out and moved to Carthage, New York. It has been surprisingly pleasant. It is a small town and the people are very nice. It is located on the black river, so the view is nice and you can go boating if you like. There is a 10 o'clock curfew for minors, so it keeps the streets safe at night. The latest news has been about a few vandalisms into cars and someone pissing outside a bar, but other than that it is quiet. Many people are out and about during the day and evening walking their dogs and kids in strollers. There is also a park/baseball/tennis/skate park in town which I walk my dog and son to daily and is very popular. There is the local coffee shop, many diners, grocery store, Ace, a few bars and nice restaurants and a McDonalds...it is deffinately a slower pace than what you are probably used to, but it is cleaner and less busy than Watertown. The commute is 10 to 15 minutes to Drum and the same to Watertown. Wal-mart is also about 15 minutes away in Loweville, Watertown, and near Fort Drum. The main interstate is about 15-20 minutes away and Syracuse and Utica (near I-90) are both about an hour and 10 minutes away. Lake Ontario is 30-40 minutes as well as Canada. There is a lot to do up here from skiing and snowmobile riding (allowed in the village of Carthage during the winter) to hiking and biking or kayaking on the river or lake. Rent is a little high, but if you take your time looking, you can get lucky. Unfortunately people with pets usually don't get the best rentals. We found a 3 bedroom apt for $950 which includes heat and allowed our dog with no pet security deposit. If you can find a deal like that, it will save you a lot in the winter. Anyways, I hope this helped. Good luck.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 43,567 times
Smile i am interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJennings View Post
I'm not quite sure how far away from Fort Drum you are willing to move, but my husband and I currently own a home in Gouverneur (approx. 30 miles north of Ft. Drum). We are looking for a responsible tenant (and a good neighbor for the sake of the neighborhood) to rent to. We certainly do not mind animals. If you are interested you can always let us know and we will contact you and send pictures if you are interested.
My husband and I will be moving near that area he is in the army and will be stationed at fort drum. We currently have 2 small dogs, very well behaved. I would love to see pictures if you home is still available. You can email me at scissorgurl9@yahoo.com thank you

Old 07-20-2007, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 43,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by listenup View Post
I have been here for five years, stationed at Fort Drum. I just got out and moved to Carthage, New York. It has been surprisingly pleasant. It is a small town and the people are very nice. It is located on the black river, so the view is nice and you can go boating if you like. There is a 10 o'clock curfew for minors, so it keeps the streets safe at night. The latest news has been about a few vandalisms into cars and someone pissing outside a bar, but other than that it is quiet. Many people are out and about during the day and evening walking their dogs and kids in strollers. There is also a park/baseball/tennis/skate park in town which I walk my dog and son to daily and is very popular. There is the local coffee shop, many diners, grocery store, Ace, a few bars and nice restaurants and a McDonalds...it is deffinately a slower pace than what you are probably used to, but it is cleaner and less busy than Watertown. The commute is 10 to 15 minutes to Drum and the same to Watertown. Wal-mart is also about 15 minutes away in Loweville, Watertown, and near Fort Drum. The main interstate is about 15-20 minutes away and Syracuse and Utica (near I-90) are both about an hour and 10 minutes away. Lake Ontario is 30-40 minutes as well as Canada. There is a lot to do up here from skiing and snowmobile riding (allowed in the village of Carthage during the winter) to hiking and biking or kayaking on the river or lake. Rent is a little high, but if you take your time looking, you can get lucky. Unfortunately people with pets usually don't get the best rentals. We found a 3 bedroom apt for $950 which includes heat and allowed our dog with no pet security deposit. If you can find a deal like that, it will save you a lot in the winter. Anyways, I hope this helped. Good luck.
Hi I was wondering if you know where to look in that area for places to live? I am trying to do everything online right now since my husband and I are still in Arizona. We will be stationed at Fort Drum this September. We have 2 small dogs and like you said it is very hard to find a place that allows pets. It sounds great where you live and lots of things to do. If you no of anything or where I can find listings for that area please let me know thank you. my email is scissorgurl9@yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York