U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 07:29 PM

7 posts, read 65,061 times

Advertisements

Hello -

My husband and I are considering a move to Orange County. We are native New Yorkers (born and raised in Manhattan), but now we want to move to the burbs. I don't know much about that region, but when we travel through there it seems beautiful, serene, and scenic.

We have two small children, and are looking to find a nice town that has good schools, nice upper middle class neighbors, a good community, proximity to transport (my husband will be traveling to Midtown 3-4 times per week) and relative walkability (I realize that'll be hard in the burbs, but a nice town square would be great).

Please let me know what towns you suggest I look at. I've been considering Cornwall (and Cornwall-on-Hudson) as well as New Windsor, but again, I don't really know much about them. Please advise, and much thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 07:59 AM

995 posts, read 2,482,310 times
No response? I'm not too crazy about New Windsor only because how close it is to the City of Newburgh. No offense to anyone. Check out the Town of Montgomery. It would be exit 5 of I-84 & exit 17 on the NYS Thruway. Valley Central school district is probably one of the better school district in the state. Metro North via NJ transit can be taken at campbell hall. There is a bus terminal in the town of Newburgh that runs daily buses to and from the city. Property taxes for the most part in moderate at most. PM if you need any futher input.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 5,554 times
Orange county is nice. There are areas that are more rural (in between pinebush and walden) and areas that are more urban like middletown, harriman (mostly because of the shopping and woodbury commons) and newburgh. I have always liked southern orange county, below I84. Areas like goshen, chester, florida, harriman, tuxedo and warwick are nice. They have small downtown areas and the commute to the city and nj isnt terrible, especially from places like tuxedo and harriman. Orange county is nice because you get a country feel without ever being too far from all the amenities and shopping.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:53 PM

513 posts, read 1,544,616 times
Top on my list would be: the Town of Cornwall /Village of Cornwall On Hudson / Goshen (town and village) and Warwick (town and village). Each of these villages have a nice, walkable central business district and each of the surrounding towns are rural and scenic. Each of the school districts are fine too.

Come up, spend some time, drive and walk around. Happy hunting!

Old 03-06-2010, 04:47 PM

5,441 posts, read 15,363,371 times
What about warwick......... it is a bit of a haul from the city, but you can take the train from tuxedo.

nancy is that in order of preference?

Old 03-07-2010, 11:27 AM

513 posts, read 1,544,616 times
Joe - I didn't even think of a preference order when listing the locales, but realize now that I listed them in alphabetical order.

Now that you've raised the point, I'd say that I have no particular preference. If anything, preference would be on geographic location, e.g., Cornwall being the most east and near I-87 & I-84 (and on the beautiful Hudson); Goshen - a little farther west and off of the soon-to-be I-86; Warwick being more "in land".

Old 04-22-2010, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,277 times
We moved up here (Goshen) from Staten Island about 14 years ago and it was the best move we ever made. I STILL love it up here. Good schools, beautiful area, no traffic, friendly people. I will NEVER move back to the city. I did the commute into the Port Authority when I first moved up here. I took the bus and it wasn't any worse than a bad traffic day from Staten Island. It's a good hour and a half, but I slept on the bus and it was worth the trip to come home to a different world. I would highly recommend a move up here.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:09 AM

715 posts, read 2,257,106 times
Orange County would be a fine choice for someone that has to commute to the city. Cheaper than both Rockland and Westchester. Access to Metro North's Port Jervis Line (Port Jervis, Otisville, Middletown, Campbell Hall, Salisbury Mills-Cornwall) and the Hudson Line (across the river at Beacon). Schools are good. Valley Central in Montgomery-Maybrook-Walden-West Newburgh / Coldenham is a good option, as well as Monroe-Woodbury or Goshen.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 7,806 times
My wife and I are looking at houses in Orange County right now. We are moving up from Queens to give our kids nicer surroundings to grow up in. We have looked at Warwick, Monroe, and now Chester. We are leaning towards Chester but want to know if the schools are ok. Anyone have any info on this?

Old 08-09-2010, 09:24 AM

715 posts, read 2,257,106 times
As far as I know, Chester Union Free is considered to be an above average district in terms of education. The area is generally safe, which means the school will not be filled with trouble makers. The high school is nice. It is smaller than most other school districts in Orange County in that it only has a single elementary school that feeds into a single middle school and high school (some, such as Valley Central SD that serves Montgomery/Maybrook/Walden/West Newburgh have more than one elementary school, but this school serves a much larger area).

Best school in the county is Monroe-Woodbury, so you could never go wrong there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or