U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 04:27 PM

17 posts, read 50,915 times

Advertisements

I am from Mahwah, NJ, moved to poconos after married, but have been living in FL for the past 16 years. Dislike the south and miss the north. corning is a town I am considering. I am a single mother and need affordable housing but also a safe environment. How bad are the snowstorms in Corning. Are they worse than the Poconos?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 7,983 times
Default relocating to NY

I can see why corning would be an attractive alternative to the cost of living in NJ, as my sister lives there, I get sticker shock every time I visit.
Corning is a small town, which can be good and bad.
It is not very sunny here, in fact, we like to say that if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it will change. Actually, June/July through October is beautiful. November through December is tolerable and rainy. January through May is miserable, particularly February.
Property taxes are the highest in the nation, but still housing is relatively affordable (relative to the rest of the country). We recently purchased an 1800 square foot home on the South Hill for 79K. Built in 1862, it is a two story Civil War-era balloon construct with alot of charm (aka not a square corner or plumb line). No off street parking, but the upside is that we are in good school districts (Coring East High, Corning Free Acadamy, Carder Elementary), and within walking distance to the Cedar Arts Center on Cedar Street, and Market Street with a theatre, tons of shops and restaurants.
Renting a decent place here will cost between $600-$1200 a month for a house. Many landlords will consider spay/neutered and declawed housecats, but few will consider dogs of any type. Usually pet references and a veterinary letter certifying responsible care for your dog might give you an edge - it did for me when I first moved back from the military.

There is a Wegmans's here. There is a community college (Corning Community) and Elmira College and Mansfield University (Pennsylvania) within commuting distance. There is a Senior Center here that provides elder day care, along with three respected assisted living/skilled nursing facilities - Founders Guardian Pavillion, The Waters of Three Rivers and Green Meadows - all within 20 minutes of Corning, or right here in town.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-18-2009, 11:24 AM

8 posts, read 28,364 times
hey everyone, thanks for the info, i am currently planning to move to the Corning Elmira area and it seems really beautiful up there! I was wondering what the local economy is like, if it is hard to find work?
I mainly have labor type skills. any info would be appreciated!

Old 05-18-2009, 11:45 AM

9,093 posts, read 17,209,808 times
very tough economic climate - the trades are also getting hit pretty hard (even more than the normal cyclical stuff you put up with up there)

i'd definitely try to have some work lined up before making the jump

Old 05-18-2009, 09:21 PM

8 posts, read 28,364 times
Oh, boy not exactly what id hoped to hear, but certainly not far from what i have prepared myself for... thanks for your reply and giving the heads up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or