U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 09:06 PM
RNG RNG started this thread

31 posts, read 120,847 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are thinking of relocating from southern NJ to the Corning area in a few years when I finish getting my BS in Horticulture. While we love many aspects of our home state and town, certain things like overcrowding and exorbitant property taxes (and dramatically increasing housing costs) are forcing us to consider other areas. We recently visited the Finger Lakes area and were quite enchanted with the beauty, open space, and friendly people. Also, the housing prices are just right for us. I will give some info on our interests and requirements, and I hope someone can give me some insight on Corning and surrounding communities.

We are: 36 year old woman and 44 year old man. I will soon get my BS in Horticulture as I said but don't necessarily care if I get a job in the field right away. He recently got his teaching certification in mathematics and has a Masters in Education. He also has a BS in Engineering and another Masters in Computer Software. However, he has not worked in about 10 years due to a move to Greece and family issues, and is concerned about getting a teaching job (or any job) in NY. Are there any decent jobs in that area - and what are your thoughts on teaching jobs for male math teachers with little experience outside of a classroom and student teaching stint (and at age 44)?

I currently care for my 80 year old mother who is in the early to mid stages of Alzheimers. How are health facilities and senior care in this area?

Type of area we are looking for: small to semi-rural town with a nice, walkable downtown and some good restaurants (some place that serves something besides an iceberg lettuce salad!). We are really into cafes and bookstores so it would be nice to be close to these as well. Access to arts within a 2 hour drive would be a nice plus. And we love historic homes -Corning seems to have a plethora of these. Oh - and I kind of need to be near a Wegmans (I work at a new Wegmans in NJ and have become addicted to the quality). Last but not least, I would hope to be within an hours drive of someplace I can buy really good pet food as we have 5 cats.

PHEW! Thanks for reading this, and I look forward to any and all responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2006, 10:17 PM

282 posts, read 1,179,911 times
RNG~

First, I know what you're going through with your Mom. I dealt with the same thing with my Mom for 10 years. Best wishes to you!

The whole Corning/Elmira area has pretty much everything that fits your needs and what you're looking for. I can't speak for the health care aspect of the area, as I deal with UHS in Binghamton. I'm sure there's someone that can answer that one for you, though.

I'm sure you'll find the area very nice!

Old 07-31-2006, 04:59 AM

1 posts, read 7,717 times
Hi, Since I live in the rural area, not far from Corning I know a bit about life here and what there is to offer. There are some great assisted living places where your mom could keep here independence if she is capable and there are several nursing homes also with excellent reputations. I live just south of Naples, NY - some 34 miles from Corning. Naples is a charming town with historic homes and some neat little shops and several nice restaruants. The Brown Hound Bistro is especially quaint with great good food and an excellent reputation. Our taxes aren't really any higher than anywhere else and we have these awesome lakes and wonderful sunshine every day to compensate.
I own and operate a bed and breakfast and our guests absolutely love the area.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:38 PM

Smile Thank You!

Thank you both so much for your responses! I am looking forward to visiting the area this fall, and this winter (my boyfriend is interested in seeing how cold the winters are ).

If someone has any info on the job market that would be wonderful.

Thanks again for your information.

Fran - let me know the name of your B&B, if you wouldn't mind - maybe we will try and stay there when we return!

Old 08-14-2006, 12:16 PM

59 posts, read 306,940 times
I went to Elmira College so I spent 4 years in the Elmira/Corning area. I liked the area in general but it does not have a huge "college-type" atmosphere. Corning is really nice, and has a nice school system. I did my student teaching in Middle School math in the Corning area schools and enjoyed it. Watkins Glen is another good school system in the Southern Tier. You may also want to look at Watkins Glen for schools to teach in. I now teach MS Math in NYC but am trying to get into the Syracuse area (not in the city though).

Old 10-12-2006, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 14,286 times
RNG

One of the reasons that my wife and i live in Corning is the property costs. She came from South of Boston Ma and the housing costs are about the same as Jeresy. (way to high)

Like lauri 25ny said Corning has everying that you are looking for. There are enough schools for your husband to work in. there is also a fair amount of industry if your husband wanted to get back into that.

Nest time that you visit i reccomend that you visit the "Gaffer district" its the local street of small shops, and arts. Its quite nice and was another attractor that drew my wife to the area.

If there are any questions please let me know
Ken

Old 10-29-2006, 04:11 AM

365 posts, read 749,104 times
Fran, I nearly spit out my coffee when I read "sunshine everyday," there is nowhere in New York that the sun shines every day, good lord. One more thing New Yorkers your taxes are insane compared to other states. Research it and understand that in just about every category for taxes New York ranks in the top five.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:26 PM

Smile Taxes

Well, NY does have high-ish taxes according to the research I have been doing, but it still does not compare to NJ. At least you get a lot more house and/or land in NY. Take a look at this - I live in a 3 bedroom, 1 bath twin house (attached on one side) with a tiny yard. My house is assessed at $86800 but market value is now $180000. My taxes on this little and old house are $4100 per year. My township is going to start reassessing properties within the next couple of years, and the taxes will then be based on market value. Even if they lower the cost per $1000 rate, my taxes are bound to go up considerably. It is just crazy. I don't know how or why people put up with it.

Incidentally, we are still thinking of NY but are also considering Canandaigua and Pittsford. There are just so many nice places in NY!

Thanks for everyone's input... Happy holidays to you all!

Old 12-12-2006, 03:31 PM

306 posts, read 1,514,673 times
RNG:

I can't opine about Pittsford, but Canandaigua seemed entirely positive to me. My family and I checked it out this summer and were very impressed. Big enough for a sense of space and openness, small enough for a small-town feel, lovely country around it, great lake and lakeside facilities on the edge of town, w/ Rochester nearby for big city things and shopping, etc. Good schools, cheerful feel, very family-friendly, full of kids playing in yards and on the sidewalks and in the parks and WALKING and biking, as it should be. We're still considering it as a place to move to--but you're right: NY state has SO many excellent places to live, it's hard to choose!

Good luck in your decision & move.

P.S. Where in Jersey are you? I was born in Perth Amboy, lived in Carteret and Mountainside.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Message to HomewardBound

Good evening! I just read your reply, and I apologize for the delay. I live in Collingswood, which is very close to Philadelphia, PA.

I have read many of your posts on various threads, and I value your opinion highly. I have a question for you: if YOU were to move back to NY state, where do you think you would like to live? I plan on spending some time in NY this summer as long as I have the time and money to do so, but the area is vast and I do not know where to concentrate my time. I have heard great things about Saratoga Springs and Cooperstown, but these seem a little pricey for me. Any other ideas? Thank you!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or