Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 07:47 AM

6 posts, read 17,714 times

Advertisements

Hello,
my wife and me are considering moving to Rhinebeck. We like the village but...we have a son, almost 11 ys old who will be in 6th grade middle school next year, and we are afraid that Rhinebeck could not offer very much in terms of sports and other activities for a kid his age.
Could someone help giving his/her advice ?
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 03:01 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,370 times
Rhinebeck has a good soccer program, they are part of the East Hudson Youth Soccer League. Both intramural and travel. Rhinebeck Soccer League

There's plenty of activities offered at the middle school- Student Life

That should give him a good starting point and be able to branch out from those suggestions.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:12 PM

99 posts, read 310,175 times
Abi1_98: We may have lot in common..My wife and I have also considered a move to Rhinebeck or a sourounding area and we have a toddler and infant...Rhinebeck itself is truly a charming town, with beautiful souroundings. However with all due respect to the great people we have met there, it seems to us that it's more of a trendy type, of retirement community, than for younger couples starting out....would def. b interested in hearing from the locals thanks!!!

Old 02-21-2010, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,625 times
I live in Rhinebeck, have two children. One is 6 and the other is 14 months. I have to say the I see the number of people with small children rising, although Red Hook certainly trumps us. There is a great deal to do around here, as long as you are happy to travel to different towns and villages, which we are.
The sports situation is marginal for my 6 year old, I feel that they can't just play to have fun, even at 6. They are expected to "play" and win. As for the kinds of sports I have found a number from baseball/t-ball, to tennis and soccer. You can always join a Red Hook team as well. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2010, 04:42 PM

30 posts, read 71,992 times
Very safe, good schools, both Red Hook and Rhinebeck and have sent 3 children through Rhinebeck schools.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:53 PM

640 posts, read 2,012,603 times
Rheinbeck is in an amazing area.....outdoor activities are plenty. Skiing, the Catskills, great music events (Falcon Ridge), Woodstock, Albany, Great Barrington....all close by. If you are a Manhattanite that needs continual stimulation...this aint your place. Take a walk down to the train station and take a look across the Hudson River...you'll realize how lucky you are to live there. Even industrial Kingston nearby has some great eateries too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York