Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 13,399 times

Advertisements

I am relocated job is in Mohegan Lake (Northern Westchester County). I am married 30 years old no children yet. I am looking to buy a home and some places I saw that I thought were more in my range that i took a liking to was the area outside of that dump of a city Newburgh(New Windsor, Town of Newburgh) and northern Rockland County. Why doesn't the town of newburgh change its name? anyway, I thought that those area's were nice and in a decent communting time. also haverstraw and stony point are only 35 minutes or so from george washington which is nice, however taxes are high there from what i understand can anyone confirm? Also is living next to village of haverstraw from what i can tell looked pretty bad near as bad as newburgh city? I only was willing to drive down 9W and Broadway over there at nite. Northern Rockland seems to have a community feel. I dont really get that from new windsor but i like the price's. How do North Rockland schools compare to Town of Newburgh, New Windsor schools? Also how about Fishkill and Peeksill? Let me get some input...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 10:14 AM

995 posts, read 2,728,078 times
If you haven't already done so,why not take a drive through these area's first and get a feel for each location?

Old 02-25-2010, 07:30 AM

3 posts, read 13,399 times
can someone please help me out with some information?

Old 03-07-2010, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 9,708 times
please be more specific of what exactly you are looking for.
However, you may want to try Ft Montgomery, which is just 1 mile north of the Bear Mountain Bridge and halfway between Newburgh and Haverstraw. From there you will have an easy commute.
Ft. Montgomery is quiet, except when something is happening at West Point. There is a wide range of housing available and mostly affordable. Everything from small starter homes in the village to luxury townhomes at the new Corbin Hill community which is on 9W.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:22 AM

197 posts, read 636,215 times
I would steer clear of anywhere in New Windsor, Town of Newburgh if you have any plans on having children. most of new windsor, town on newburgh and all newburgh city share school district. North Rockland isnt much better, but it is defitely better schools. North Rockland like newburgh area is very diverse but not high crime. Is much closer to the city. haverstraw revitilization if it ever picks up would improve the whole area of town of haverstraw and stony point. taxes are high in though i know people in stony point paying 13K a year for $500k houses.stay away from pomona as it is haverstraw but spring valley schools. There is not much of anything in Fort Montgomery- Highland Mills and not much within 15 minutes driving either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York