Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2012, 02:04 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times

Advertisements

Bob Evans is a good place also.

None in CNY but Buffalo has one and its sure good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 02:14 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtchft77 View Post
I'm just curious, how do people find the Southwest compared to the Southeast.
From a 'white' perspective....

The South East is saturated with 'blcks'...everywhere...low income and the 'HUD' housing extends all throughout the cities and rural areas....

The South West is saturated with Hispanics...but aside from the 'Prison gang culture types'...the Hispanics have done well in intergrating into business and commerce...

Last time I drove out that way...as soon as I got west of Dallas...Headed to Cali...I did not see a single blck person or white person till I hit Los Angelos...and even then it was a rare site to see a white or blck person....

Up north...you still have all white cultural onclaves...towns....hidden away...and i think that may be a factor for some...a cultural thing...

Last edited by Time and Space; 09-16-2012 at 02:24 PM..

Old 09-16-2012, 02:55 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
From a 'white' perspective....

The South East is saturated with 'blcks'...everywhere...low income and the 'HUD' housing extends all throughout the cities and rural areas....

The South West is saturated with Hispanics...but aside from the 'Prison gang culture types'...the Hispanics have done well in intergrating into business and commerce...

Last time I drove out that way...as soon as I got west of Dallas...Headed to Cali...I did not see a single blck person or white person till I hit Los Angelos...and even then it was a rare site to see a white or blck person....

Up north...you still have all white cultural onclaves...towns....hidden away...and i think that may be a factor for some...a cultural thing...
Well humans are naturally drawn to familiar "tribes". Makes sense in that way. Though the urban areas of the north can be very diverse.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:55 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
I grew up in New England and moved to South in 1996 for employment with the Federal Government. Lived in central North Carolina and it was much more crowded and busy than where I came from in New England. There has been an awful influx of people, including "Yankees" like me, to the south, although I rarely ran into anyone else from my state. I left 7 years later because of the crime rate for one. Plus the downright hostility of some Soutnerners, although I will admit I ran into some that were friendly. And me, I was just trying to be quiet and fit in. It just wouldn't happen. As soon as you open your mouth, however innocently, it is "Where you from"? (not "Where are you from"), you must be a YANKEE!! Yup, past tired of that and the rehashing, ad nauseum, of the Civil War, or War Between the States, or War of Northern Aggression, whatever you want to call it.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:06 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,182 times
Default Ping Pong - move South, then back North

I was involved in federally funded series of projects that up-rooted thousands of home owners in the North. A lot of them choose to relocate South. A lot of them were back North in a year or two. Most had spouses that suffered a serious health problem in the South which they attributed to the oppressive heat.

It was my impression that they just didn't know how to live under a tropical sun. You can dress up and walk through frigid air but the heat can't be avoided outside. It's really hard on the circulatory system.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:11 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
It was my impression that they just didn't know how to live under a tropical sun. You can dress up and walk through frigid air but the heat can't be avoided outside. It's really hard on the circulatory system.
Very true. You can always add on another layer of clothing and blankets. There's even electric blankets! But striping down and sitting around naked doesn't cool you off. Not to mention you wouldn't be able to leave your house. Many days I felt like I was going to melt just walking the 30 feet out my front door to my mailbox. There were plenty of days where I had a hard time breathing outside. My body just couldn't handle the heat. Must be all that dna I have from Canada.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I thin for the same reaso mnat move back home where they are use to the culture. Others adpat very well;like my parents.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,842 times
Default northerners

Why are yankees so pasty white and ashen ? Is this a vitamin D deficiency or just the rickets ? and also is it true some new york women have hairy backs . A friend of mine says he used to wax his girlfriends back . . i just chalked it up to being slovic or something . or from OHIO . Thanks for sharing and bless yalls heart. im gonna eat a gyro now . i lika da sauce.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:06 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
^^Cool story, bro

Old 11-12-2012, 02:18 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawbsta louie View Post
Why are yankees so pasty white and ashen ? Is this a vitamin D deficiency or just the rickets ? and also is it true some new york women have hairy backs . A friend of mine says he used to wax his girlfriends back . . i just chalked it up to being slovic or something . or from OHIO . Thanks for sharing and bless yalls heart. im gonna eat a gyro now . i lika da sauce.
Those are Italian women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York