Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 12:31 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
There is no place in Apex that's in the middle of nowhere. Its one of the more developed towns in that area. Do you even know what you are talking about?

The typical progression of this argument, when I show a house to someone that is $93,000 less over the course of 30 years, is to bring up schools, vehicle taxes, and HOA fees. So, how's this comparison:

822 Winter Wood Dr, Matthews, NC 28105 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

$814 a month in the wealthiest Charlotte suburb, with taxes

205 Robin Hill Dr, Amherst, NY 14221 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

$1290 a month, with taxes of $7200 a year

That's a difference of $476 a month, or $171,000 over 30 years for an older style house. And assuming taxes double in that time, you'd have a paid off house and $14k in taxes per year. Of course, this means I hate NY, right? If you have an comparison where a house in NY is cheaper than NC with property taxes included, I'd love to see it.
Ever hear of Google maps? Check your house in Apex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 12:34 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Ever hear of Google maps? Check your house in Apex.
So, your argument comes down to the house in Apex being in a more rural area?! What is your comment on the other house I posted, directly comparing Buffalo to Charlotte?

Cricket, cricket...

Old 02-24-2014, 12:59 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I know this will get deleted, but Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

This is maybe more even: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedClarence is pretty much as affluent you can get in the Buffalo area, while there are others in the Raleigh area that are more affluent.

I'm not sure if Matthews is Charlotte's most affluent suburb, but its COL is on par with solid suburbs in Upstate NY, if not a little higher.

Last edited by Yac; 02-26-2014 at 06:50 AM..

Old 02-24-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
So, your argument comes down to the house in Apex being in a more rural area?! What is your comment on the other house I posted, directly comparing Buffalo to Charlotte?

Cricket, cricket...
Taxes in 2012 were $5,249, and are probably similar today. Please revise your numbers to reflect the truth.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/205-Robin-Hill-Dr-Williamsville-NY-14221/30247245_zpid/

Also, here is a much larger $211,000 house in Amherst that has taxes of $5,567.

25 Southwind Trl, Amherst, NY 14221 - Zillow

So there is a good possibility that the Robin Hill Drive house is over-assessed, and warrants a significant tax reduction.

So not only are the taxes not $7,200, they could be adjusted downward significantly from the reported $5,249.

And does North Carolina have a vehicle tax?

Try again. Get your facts straight, and try not to select what you think are the correct properties to prove that Buffalo is so much more expensive than Charlotte.

People move from Buffalo to Charlotte primarily because of job opportunities. Nobody is moving because they think they are getting a killer real estate deal.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:18 PM

Who cares about a cost of living calculator? I just showed an example of a home that's $400 a month more in a solid NY suburb vs a solid NC suburb. Why do real life examples get tossed aside to bring up another worn out example of literally one cost-of-living calculator that is completely out of sync with every other COL calculator online?

Back to this time-honored tradition again, when not one person can show me an example of a equivalent cheaper house in a suburb of NY vs a suburb of Charlotte / Raleigh?

Old 02-24-2014, 01:27 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Who cares about a cost of living calculator? I just showed an example of a home that's $400 a month more in a solid NY suburb vs a solid NC suburb. Why do real life examples get tossed aside to bring up another worn out example of literally one cost-of-living calculator that is completely out of sync with every other COL calculator online?

Back to this time-honored tradition again, when not one person can show me an example of a equivalent cheaper house in a suburb of NY vs a suburb of Charlotte / Raleigh?
Come on, there are plenty of examples and the COL calculator shows a basis for overall COL. So, it is legitimate to use. I'll show examples later, as that Matthews home reminds me of the Donlin Drive area of the Liverpool area or even some older developments in the more upscale(relatively) suburbs up here.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:

You didn't show an example. You got the property taxes wrong, and the actual property taxes may be too high because of an over-assessment.

Hey, but don't let get facts get in the way.

ATTENTION BUFFALO RESIDENTS. TIME TO PACK UP AND MOVE TO CHARLOTTE BECAUSE ITS JUST SO MUCH CHEAPER TO LIVE THERE. WHO SAYS? SOME POSTER NAMED VINTAGE SUNLIGHT.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Taxes in 2012 were $5,249, and are probably similar today. Please revise your numbers to reflect the truth.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/205-Robin-Hill-Dr-Williamsville-NY-14221/30247245_zpid/

Also, here is a much larger $211,000 house in Amherst that has taxes of $5,567.

So there is a good possibility that the Robin Hill Drive house is over-assessed, and warrants a significant tax reduction.

So not only are the taxes not $7,200, they could be adjusted downward significantly from the reported $5,249.

And does North Carolina have a vehicle tax?

Try again. Get your facts straight, and try not to select what you think are the correct properties to prove that Buffalo is so much more expensive than Charlotte.

People move from Buffalo to Charlotte primarily because of job opportunities. Nobody is moving because they think they are getting a killer real estate deal.
And in 2013, they're listed as $7212. Don't shoot the messenger. Look at Realtor.com.

Always an excuse. How do we know that the NC house is not over-assessed? And as I predicted, the tried and true vehicle tax rears its ugly head. As if the $60 a year vehicle tax offsets the $400 a month increase in mortgage.

2621 Windsor Chase Dr, Matthews, NC 28105 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Yep, this house has 6 bedrooms and is $240 a month cheaper than the one you posted.

If you think no one is moving South to get a better real estate deal, I really feel sorry for you being so out of touch with reality. That's one of the primary reasons people move South.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
You didn't show an example. You got the property taxes wrong, and the actual property taxes may be too high because of an over-assessment.

Hey, but don't let get facts get in the way.

ATTENTION BUFFALO RESIDENTS. TIME TO PACK UP AND MOVE TO CHARLOTTE BECAUSE ITS JUST SO MUCH CHEAPER TO LIVE THERE. WHO SAYS? SOME POSTER NAMED VINTAGE SUNLIGHT.
Attention Buffalo Residents: Ruby Greta would like to be your Realtor! When she's through with you, you'll be happily paying $400 a month more to live in a crappier house! Sign up now, this offer will only be valid while she's in business!

Old 02-24-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
And in 2013, they're listed as $7212. Don't shoot the messenger. Look at Realtor.com.

Always an excuse. How do we know that the NC house is not over-assessed? And as I predicted, the tried and true vehicle tax rears its ugly head. As if the $60 a year vehicle tax offsets the $400 a month increase in mortgage.

2621 Windsor Chase Dr, Matthews, NC 28105 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Yep, this house has 6 bedrooms and is $240 a month cheaper.

If you think no one is moving South to get a better real estate deal, I really feel sorry for you being so out of touch with reality. That's one of the primary reasons people move South.
Right. They're going to uproot their lives and leave their families to save a couple of hundred a month. Of course.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York