Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2014, 09:28 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I am saying that our taxes are $8.70 per $1000 assessed you do the math but as to a comparable house here is new construction Address Not Disclosed | Trulia.com listed at $245,950. Homes can cost more or less just as the same homes up there can cost differently; placed in another part of NY and the cost would be 2 to 3 times what it is in your area. As for HOA's I said don't dwell on them they are not as common as some posters make out even if you have to pay them the services they provide more than justifies what they cost. Just like your condo example is a lifestyle choice that one chooses so are communities with HOA's but I just read where your condo has to pay an HOA fee... If you are going to give a comparison that costs the same taxes lets make sure we are comparing houses to houses not houses to condo's.

Our "state" unemployment rate is %5 my area is %5.1 you like the deal you have up there that's fine but reading most posters they seem ready to head anywhere else rather than stay and pay $2.80 a gallon for gas
You mentioned that the condos I pointed to in Brighton have HOA fees...EXACTLY! That's my point. They generally take the place of taxes and the services that taxes would provide in many cases. One way or the other you are going to pay. But you keep dwelling on taxes alone and my point is that other costs usually come into play. I figured if we were only going to compare taxes then I'd remove the tax from the equation by giving you an example with equal taxes.

But if you want to compare homes alone you might want to double check that the HOA fees aren't as common as you think, because according to the builder's website for the example you linked to, it's an HOA community and that fee is apparently hidden because the website doesn't list it. My home example in Farmington has no HOA fees. It's very rare you'd pay an HOA fee in a home community in Rochester. What are the fees for the example you give? I can't seem to find them listed any place. Only a very vague statement on the builder's website.

Quote:
Community Services
HOA
What are those costs because they matter when doing an apples to apples comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 09:53 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Looking at the one example it is out there, we would refer to it as the out-burbs if you needed to work in the city center but so many businesses are outside the city center that it can be a mute issue. Home price run the gamut from less than to more than the example home here.

Taxes are a big issue that other posters often try to wash over them. When you consider that the tax bill on the same house here would only be $2175 with no HOA. HOA's are not as wide spread as you may think and the nominal charge each month usually covers trash, common features (pools/play grounds), if you don't like them don't pick a neighborhood with one. Plus considering the taxes/costs for gas, electric and even gasoline and it starts to add up. Right now Victor is an average $2.90 a Gallon (Ref: Rochester Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in New York) using the same site were at $1.90 the taxes make the difference. This along with higher costs for utilities start to add up and for many it weighs heavy.

The tax rate for this home in Victor is $23.96 per $1k assessed in other communities such as Baldwinsville the tax rate would be $39.12 making the taxes $9780.00 that a lot of money just for taxes...

Jobs are not a strong area for upstate cities, yes there are jobs but they are hard to find. I guess that's why so many posters list this as a problem with upstate cities. I am glad 495 is such a great low volume route now if they will get rid of the tolls on thruway maybe businesses will consider moving back.
Keep in mind that the Baldwinsville number may only be for the village and even that will depend on the side of the village(the northern half is in Lysander and south of the River is in Van Buren).

You also have to keep the home price in the village of Baldwinsville in mind. Its median home price is about $122,700. So, that gives you an idea of home prices in the villages as half are either below or above that price.
Baldwinsville, NY - USA.comâ„¢

Tax burdens tend to be lower outside of villages due to 1 less layer of government.

While HOA's may not be as common as people think they are in Southern areas, they are more common. comparatively speaking versus Upstate NY areas.

Jobs are really going to depend on matching personal skills/education/abilities accordingly within a job market. Networking is another aspect that many don't think about.

Utilities are about 7-10% of costs, while housing is about 30% and is the biggest cost in plurality.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:25 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Keep in mind that the Baldwinsville number may only be for the village and even that will depend on the side of the village(the northern half is in Lysander and south of the River is in Van Buren).

You also have to keep the home price in the village of Baldwinsville in mind. Its median home price is about $122,700. So, that gives you an idea of home prices in the villages as half are either below or above that price.
Baldwinsville, NY - USA.comâ„¢

Tax burdens tend to be lower outside of villages due to 1 less layer of government.

While HOA's may not be as common as people think they are in Southern areas, they are more common. comparatively speaking versus Upstate NY areas.

Jobs are really going to depend on matching personal skills/education/abilities accordingly within a job market. Networking is another aspect that many don't think about.

Utilities are about 7-10% of costs, while housing is about 30% and is the biggest cost in plurality.
Please don't start in again, I simply picked a home in the planned community you referenced that had a resale value of $187,500 that home has a tax burden of $7334 (Radisson Community Association, Inc - Home Page). The discussion is not average but comparing a new construction home and the costs. If you want look up the tax burden if you live in Clay, if I am reading the numbers right you are paying $96.00 per $1000, that's ridicules. HOA's may be more common but they are not a financial burden like several thousand in taxes are.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
You mentioned that the condos I pointed to in Brighton have HOA fees...EXACTLY! That's my point. They generally take the place of taxes and the services that taxes would provide in many cases. One way or the other you are going to pay. But you keep dwelling on taxes alone and my point is that other costs usually come into play. I figured if we were only going to compare taxes then I'd remove the tax from the equation by giving you an example with equal taxes.

But if you want to compare homes alone you might want to double check that the HOA fees aren't as common as you think, because according to the builder's website for the example you linked to, it's an HOA community and that fee is apparently hidden because the website doesn't list it. My home example in Farmington has no HOA fees. It's very rare you'd pay an HOA fee in a home community in Rochester. What are the fees for the example you give? I can't seem to find them listed any place. Only a very vague statement on the builder's website.

What are those costs because they matter when doing an apples to apples comparison.
As I just responded to the other poster HOA fees are not very much and paying several thousand more in taxes costs way more. Here the HOA's cover community features, landscaping and possibly trash and security depending on the neighborhood.

The "property tax" relief afforded condos up there is good but it doesn't protect you from the "school tax" which is the most oppressive of all the burdens placed on a homeowner. The example I gave has a clubhouse and pool so I can see where a fee would be charged and buyers know what they are, it's not like they are snuck in later this example seems to be very new and no dollar cost is listed. I see your neighborhood has no amenities so there shouldn't be a charge and appears to be one long street winding through former farm land. We get some single street area built but most these days are the larger planned communities.

The tax difference is $3815 between your homes location and here, do you really think HOA's run $300+ a month?

Old 12-27-2014, 09:24 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
New Homes for sale at Auburn Estates in Pittsford, NY

Any one of these homes are commonplace in most Southern metros and not really anything special. You'll see community after community filled with new homes like these, rather than a few scattered communities in Upstate NY. Raddisson this is not. The cost of $340k+ is pretty typical for Rochester or Raleigh. A new home is going to cost a lot no matter where it's built. This home isn't $100k in Arkansas or Mississippi either.

Tons of these in the South and tons of old $30k homes in rough neighborhoods in Upstate NY answers the question about median home price pretty effectively and why it's not a good barometer of cost of an area.

Add 12k per year in taxes (based on similar priced homes in the area) and this home in NC is likely $700 a month cheaper. Add cheaper electric, cheaper gas to get to work, no tolls, warmer winters, more sunlight, longer growing season to grow your own homegrown, less confiscatory govt, etc ...It's just not much to Disagree about

Old 12-27-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Please don't start in again, I simply picked a home in the planned community you referenced that had a resale value of $187,500 that home has a tax burden of $7334 (Radisson Community Association, Inc - Home Page). The discussion is not average but comparing a new construction home and the costs. If you want look up the tax burden if you live in Clay, if I am reading the numbers right you are paying $96.00 per $1000, that's ridicules. HOA's may be more common but they are not a financial burden like several thousand in taxes are.
Radisson is one of the few communities with an HOA and that is literally a few, in the area.

Again, HOA's are just more common in comparison and there is new construction outside of Radisson in the Baldwinsville area. HOA's are basically privatized taxes that pay for certain services ranging from a couple to several hundred dollars and given that the home price is going to be higher, generally speaking, the costs will add up, just in different ways.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-27-2014 at 11:26 AM..

Old 12-27-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
New Homes for sale at Auburn Estates in Pittsford, NY

Any one of these homes are commonplace in most Southern metros and not really anything special. You'll see community after community filled with new homes like these, rather than a few scattered communities in Upstate NY. Raddisson this is not. The cost of $340k+ is pretty typical for Rochester or Raleigh. A new home is going to cost a lot no matter where it's built. This home isn't $100k in Arkansas or Mississippi either.

Tons of these in the South and tons of old $30k homes in rough neighborhoods in Upstate NY answers the question about median home price pretty effectively and why it's not a good barometer of cost of an area.

Add 12k per year in taxes (based on similar priced homes in the area) and this home in NC is likely $700 a month cheaper. Add cheaper electric, cheaper gas to get to work, no tolls, warmer winters, more sunlight, longer growing season to grow your own homegrown, less confiscatory govt, etc ...It's just not much to Disagree about
To be fair, add generally a longer drive/commute, subtract tolls outside of the Thruway, add personal property taxes, more apt to run into an HOA, longer/hotter summer(subjective I know) as well. Pros and cons can be found either way.

Another way to look at median home price is that the high end homes don't cost as much and similar homes just cost more in these Southern areas. Again, it is median, not average home prices. There is a difference, as the median is just the middle home price that splits the homes in an area in half. So, if an area's median is 220k, half of the homes can be anywhere above or below that figure. Another way to look at this is to say that it is the middle price where the total homes meet at.

Taxes will be dependant on homeowner and town.

More newer homes: HBA of Central New York

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-27-2014 at 11:35 AM..

Old 12-27-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Radisson is one of the few communities with an HOA and that is literally a few, in the area.

Again, HOA's are just more common in comparison and there is new construction outside of Radisson in the Baldwinsville area. HOA's are basically privatized taxes that pay for certain services ranging from a couple to several hundred dollars and given that the home price is going to be higher, generally speaking, the costs will add up, just in different ways.
Is your statement referring to each month, quarter, year? Please provide a specific example where the fees run several hundred dollars.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Is your statement referring to each month, quarter, year? Please provide a specific example where the fees run several hundred dollars.
This will depend on the HOA, but from when I asked in another state forum, it can vary from say 25-100 a month, give or take. If I can find the post, I will post it.

You can also view threads like this one: //www.city-data.com/forum/coast...carolinas.html

Or this one: //www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...tampa-bay.html

More: //www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...home-fees.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...-hoa-dues.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...your-area.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/richm...dermill-2.html

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-27-2014 at 02:09 PM..

Old 12-27-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
This will depend on the HOA, but from when I asked in another state forum, it can vary from say 25-100 a month, give or take. If I can find the post, I will post it.

You can also view threads like this one: //www.city-data.com/forum/coast...carolinas.html

Or this one: //www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...tampa-bay.html

More: //www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...home-fees.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...-hoa-dues.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...your-area.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/richm...dermill-2.html
OK, first I can't question housing costs in another state; that said I could simply use the example house in Victor move it closer to NYC and triple it's cost. No HOA would even come close to that expense.
But looking at your examples:

Waterford of the Carolinas:

A luxury waterfront community who's amenities include "Canoe, paddle boat, kayak to the 14 ac. Osprey Lake. Waterford is an amenity rich community. Large clubhouse includes fitness center, billiards room, screened patio for entertaining and full kitchen for private functions. Large pool, 6 lighted tennis courts, bocce ball courts, sand volleyball court, playground and 14 ac. Osprey Lake." Plus I will guess trash, public lighting and gate security are included.

Not bad for $90 a month

Tampa: No clear statement, many seem to run high and what is provided is across the board. One did mention that the homeowners insurance is paid with their HOA. I can not decipher what type/location of housing they are referring to.

Arizona: Posters on both examples are generalizing with no clear expense noted.

Virginia: Your examples cover a lot of areas but to say 50/60 a month seems average with community features such as pool, tennis court, play grounds part of it. Trash is included on many examples, some mention cable/internet.

All the examples mention a reserve fund/roof fund when they are condo's or some type of tower dwelling.

What this shows is communities with HOA's provide features and services that you are bound to pay for if you choose to live in that community. Is there bad management? very possible with many of the older communities in Florida but I am not researching their housing. No where do I see HOA fees that even come close to higher tax burden that communities in NY must shoulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York