Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:55 PM

6 posts, read 102,474 times

Advertisements

My wife heard the other day that people that moved down south from ny are now moving back. has anybody you know (yourself included) done this? If so why? We're wondering because we've thought from time to time about moving down south but would like to know the downsides that other northerners have experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 07:06 PM

694 posts, read 1,233,129 times
The economy? Challenging cultural adjustment? Missing family and friends?
I live in the west, hence I should keep quiet on the topic.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:34 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,838 times
I did just that.

My main reasons:
Family/Friends
Didn't like the new city
Found a better job opportunity up north, although it was not my hometown

Everyone moves for different reasons, not all of them are by choice. In general there have been more jobs down south.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:49 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
I also did that for several reasons;

Cost of living was starting to skyrocket down there faster than up here (COL is higher in NC now than it is here in Rochester and most of upstate ny)

School system was absolute chaos...had to deal with reassignments, busing, and a whole lot of other issues with our two oldest kids and with a much younger one we wanted him to be in a more stable environment

We could read the writing on the wall; the area we lived in (Raleigh, NC) was seeing rampant un-checked growth that was more than it could handle and we knew this would only lead to bad news in the not so distant future (this was 3 years ago..and turns out many of the things we were concerned about did happen down there)

Weather was really overrated; sure it's mild in the winter; but summer was often miserably hot and humid and instead of staying cooped up indoors with the heat on most of winter; you'd just be cooped up indoors most of summer with the a/c cranked up. You can only go to the pool so many times before it just doesn't even phase you anymore.

Really, really wanted to be close to family again. We had been down there for nearly 13 years and enjoyed the experience; but it never quite felt like home. We HATED hearing about the big family get-togethers on holidays, birthdays, summer weekends; etc. and feeling left out.

There are many reasons people move to various parts of the country from other regions; and there are just as many reasons why some of these people move back. Different strokes for different folks. Just because some people have moved from the north to the south and returned because we didn't like it doesn't mean that you would have that same experience; but on the other hand just because many people have moved south and don't regret it at all and feel it was the best move they could have made doesn't mean that will be your experience either.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:14 AM

995 posts, read 2,727,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
There are many reasons people move to various parts of the country from other regions; and there are just as many reasons why some of these people move back. Different strokes for different folks. Just because some people have moved from the north to the south and returned because we didn't like it doesn't mean that you would have that same experience; but on the other hand just because many people have moved south and don't regret it at all and feel it was the best move they could have made doesn't mean that will be your experience either.
Well said. Hopefully if my wife and I move out west, it will be a one way ticket. I can hope right?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:04 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,841 times
I first moved west (Colorado) & then south (Texas) but we always intended to move back to the northeast once we were ready to settle down & have kids. Its just so much nicer to live near family than to be 1500 miles away from them, especially once you start having children. I also enjoy having 4 seasons (especially winter) so staying in Texas for more than a few years was never an option.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:20 PM

694 posts, read 1,233,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
Well said. Hopefully if my wife and I move out west, it will be a one way ticket. I can hope right?
It depends on how far west you go and what needs you are looking to fulfill with this move, thelazyone.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:27 PM

6 posts, read 102,474 times
Hello, my husband posted this question for me and I appreciate all of your responses. Are there areas that anyone knows of that aren't so dominated by so many Northerners moving in and all of the related problems where people are still friendly to Northerners and COL and schools are decent? Are you really having to just stay inside in the a/c all summer? I heard that you can't swim in the lakes.
I will definitely miss our families, although depending on where we go, we may have some of them follow. I really love the aspects of the South like the hospitality (I do always wonder if it's really genuine or just on the surface or a formality), the laid back and slower lifestyle and the Southern culture. I don't know how we'd feel once we got down there, but I'm trying to get as much of an idea beforehand to prepare. I don't hate upstate NY, but we have an impression that the lifestyle down South would be a lot better for us. The weather for one, really is hard to get through with winter being so long and so lack of sunshine. We're hoping to go visit some areas this spring. Thanks so much for all of your info

Old 02-24-2010, 01:07 PM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtchft77 View Post
Hello, my husband posted this question for me and I appreciate all of your responses. Are there areas that anyone knows of that aren't so dominated by so many Northerners moving in and all of the related problems where people are still friendly to Northerners and COL and schools are decent? Are you really having to just stay inside in the a/c all summer? I heard that you can't swim in the lakes.
I will definitely miss our families, although depending on where we go, we may have some of them follow. I really love the aspects of the South like the hospitality (I do always wonder if it's really genuine or just on the surface or a formality), the laid back and slower lifestyle and the Southern culture. I don't know how we'd feel once we got down there, but I'm trying to get as much of an idea beforehand to prepare. I don't hate upstate NY, but we have an impression that the lifestyle down South would be a lot better for us. The weather for one, really is hard to get through with winter being so long and so lack of sunshine. We're hoping to go visit some areas this spring. Thanks so much for all of your info
That might be tough, as quite a few Northerners are moving to the South. You are almost better off moving to a smaller city or town, if that is the case.

It can get pretty hot and humid too. People are friendly, but to be honest, I don't think it is that much different from Upstate NY in that regard.

I'm thinking that maybe something in Tennessee or possibly Alabama might be good. I'm thinking Nashville, Knoxville or Murfreesboro in TN and Mobile and Huntsville in AL. Maybe the Auburn-Opelika area in AL too.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:23 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That might be tough, as quite a few Northerners are moving to the South. You are almost better off moving to a smaller city or town, if that is the case.

It can get pretty hot and humid too. People are friendly, but to be honest, I don't think it is that much different from Upstate NY in that regard.

I'm thinking that maybe something in Tennessee or possibly Alabama might be good. I'm thinking Nashville, Knoxville or Murfreesboro in TN and Mobile and Huntsville in AL. Maybe the Auburn-Opelika area in AL too.
I agree with that. Not a lot of northern transplants in the areas you mentioned CK (well Nashville has some but nothing like the Carolina's).

swtchft77, The heat & humidity are going to get you no matter where you go south but as long as you stay out of Texas & the southern half of the Gulfcoast states its not going to be unbearably hot but you will need to run the A/C more often than not. Outdoor activities are entirely possible all summer long but that will be up to you. I lived in Central Texas for years & ran 3-5 miles outside every day & went hiking all the time. I wouldnt recommend it in mid afternoon when its 105+ but you can easily adjust your schedule & make time early in the morning or later in the day if it is something that is important to you. Some northerners either don't mind the heat or get use to it fast & do stuff outside all summer long ...... others choose to sit in their house all summer & complain about the heat ..... its really going to be what you make of it. One sure fire way to get on the bad side of the locals is to constantly complain about the heat & humidity.

Ive never heard that you couldnt swim in the lakes down south, in fact Ive boated & swam a lot in the south. Now there are lakes I wouldnt get into because of Water Moccasins/Cottonmouths, Crocs & Gators but thats another issue all together.

Last edited by jblake78728; 02-24-2010 at 02:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York