Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 06:14 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085 View Post
Not in my experiences, and i've been all over.

Travel more.

Also, not everyone lives in cities, they're from smaller cities or towns within that respective state, which is another reason.

So generally speaking, you hear the state way more often than the city/town. The odds of a stranger knowing your state are far greater than your city/town.

and regardless, whether you live in Albany, Rochester or down in the city, you still say New York.
Wrong. I have traveled here and there my whole life and always, always, when I say "NY" it is preceived as NYC...... I remember one individual who I told my home was NY and he started rattling/asking about about Manhattan and Yankee Stadium and everything NY and I said "Sorry, not sure, I live outside Rochester", he rebutted, "But you said you were from NY...." and this was not a dumb person. Just geographically challenged!

I wish I didn't have to qualify my existence as a NYer who doesn't live anywhere near the "city", but for most people, NYC/NYS is etched in their minds as one in the same.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 06:26 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default If they mean NYC,

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Wrong. I have traveled here and there my whole life and always, always, when I say "NY" it is preceived as NYC...... I remember one individual who I told my home was NY and he started rattling/asking about about Manhattan and Yankee Stadium and everything NY and I said "Sorry, not sure, I live outside Rochester", he rebutted, "But you said you were from NY...." and this was not a dumb person. Just geographically challenged!

I wish I didn't have to qualify my existence as a NYer who doesn't live anywhere near the "city", but for most people, NYC/NYS is etched in their minds as one in the same.....
then they will ASSUME that is Manhattan. NYC IS Manhattan to many, many people. Imagine trying to say you are from STATEN ISLAND? lol They probably have never even HEARD of it, nevermind know that it is part of NYC.

You know what? Better to not even get into it.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:28 PM

451 posts, read 695,148 times
Quote:

Im not referring to confusion based on state/city of NY. Im saying, whether you're from Utica, Poughkeepsie, Rochester, Albany or NYC, you say you're from New York, period. If you're from a small town like Hudson and you're down south or on the west coast, or even as close as PA or VA, you're saying you'd say you're from Hudson?

Regardless of how many times you tell them you're not from the city, you're still looked at as a New Yorker (be it state or city). So if you're from Potsdam, Rochester, Binghamton, or Canajoharie, you're still a New Yorker.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:16 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Quote:
Im not referring to confusion based on state/city of NY. Im saying, whether you're from Utica, Poughkeepsie, Rochester, Albany or NYC, you say you're from New York, period. If you're from a small town like Hudson and you're down south or on the west coast, or even as close as PA or VA, you're saying you'd say you're from Hudson?

Regardless of how many times you tell them you're not from the city, you're still looked at as a New Yorker (be it state or city). So if you're from Potsdam, Rochester, Binghamton, or Canajoharie, you're still a New Yorker.
wow.

NO...you would say you are from UPSTATE NEW YORK.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:27 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,217 times
Quote:

You're missing the point some of us are trying to make. The perception of most people out of state is that NY is NYC....I'm actually from a small town ala Hudson and I make a reference to the nearest large city, that being Rochester, when explaining where I'm from....

Call it tunnel vision but the further I'm from NYS, the more apt I am to hear the response, "Oh, you don't mean city....?"

It's a small price we pay to be associated with the greatest city on Earth even though it is draining our state's resources

And no city dweller thinks they have a single thing in common with the lumberjack living in Potsdam and vice versa!

Old 01-29-2009, 09:20 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
When I lived in Iowa I said I moved there from New York STATE - and was once asked: "Why don't you talk like the people on Seinfeld?" The concept of "upstate" didn't translate there either, so it seemed less confusing to say "Northern New York STATE" (although of course no one in NY would consider the environs of Cortland, Ithaca, Binghamton to be "Northern") - I think a couple of times I just said "Pennsylvania" too (that was before I moved to PA, and learned to say "P.A." )

Old 01-29-2009, 10:54 AM

36 posts, read 191,404 times
Default People Leaving New York

New York must drastically lower property taxes and electric rates. It is too expensive to live or own a business in New York. Everything costs more in New York. It is just ridiculous. I love living where I do. It is beautiful and the people are great, but it is just too expensive.

The report by the Commission on Property Tax Relief provides numerous, doable, commonsense ideas to lower property taxes. The Assembly and Senate needs to get off their butts and implement the recommendations in the report.

I don't see why religious organizations should get a free ride when it comes to paying taxes. They should at least pay 1/2 of the property tax rate. That would be a good start until eventually, over a few years, they could pay the full rate. I don't think it is in the Constitution or any of the amendments that you can't tax religious organizations.

I live in the Town of Easton in Washington County. My mailing address is Greenwich. I tell people I am from Schuylerville (just across the river) so that people don't think I live in Greenwich Village or Greenwich, CT.

By the way, it is pronounced phonetically. It is not pronounced Grenich.
Someone actually wrote a song about it.

Last edited by johntedder; 01-29-2009 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 01-31-2009, 06:46 PM

4 posts, read 16,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntedder View Post
New York must drastically lower property taxes and electric rates. It is too expensive to live or own a business in New York. Everything costs more in New York. It is just ridiculous. I love living where I do. It is beautiful and the people are great, but it is just too expensive.
I currently live in Manitoba, looking to come back home to the US in a couple of years. We are considering Upstate, where I'm from and family lives, but the property taxes are what will probably keep us away. Even Manitoba's electric rates are crazy cheaper that NY's and EVERYTHING'S more expensive here!

Old 02-01-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
wow.

NO...you would say you are from UPSTATE NEW YORK.

My point is you're still looked at as a New Yorker, and technically you are one.

It doesn't matter what state you're from, all states have cities (on various scales) and rural area, its no different.

Just because our state has one of the biggest cities in the world doesn't take anything away from our state.

Its moot.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
You're missing the point some of us are trying to make. The perception of most people out of state is that NY is NYC....I'm actually from a small town ala Hudson and I make a reference to the nearest large city, that being Rochester, when explaining where I'm from....

Call it tunnel vision but the further I'm from NYS, the more apt I am to hear the response, "Oh, you don't mean city....?"

It's a small price we pay to be associated with the greatest city on Earth even though it is draining our state's resources

And no city dweller thinks they have a single thing in common with the lumberjack living in Potsdam and vice versa!
This goes for any of the 50 states, regardless, there are state identities.

As I said above just because our state has one of the largest cities in the world doesn't take anything away from us or the subject at hand.

Urban is urban, it doesn't matter how big. Whether you're comparing someone from inner city Albany to someone in Potsdam or someone from Queens to someone in Potsdam its the same.

We still pay the same taxes don't we?

Nobody else is funding the new Yankee stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York