Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 03:54 PM

172 posts, read 846,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_mouse View Post
You say companies will never go in the old rust belt cause of union and high taxes so everything shifted down south - and now EVERYONE is going there, and now people are complaining the areas are getting ruined

Well businesses and people are gonna keep piling into your low tax, union-free area enjoy the sprawl, cause its never gonna stop. Well actually it will stop when we can't relocate our entire country around whoever has the lowest tax rate at the moment (plus these southern cities are finding out .. they want all those big office towers, they need tax dollars to run a city - so taxes go up!)
Funny how things work that way. Watch twenty years down the line, when Nebraska and Iowa become the new hotspots .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 04:06 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
yep....in another decade or two people will be complaing that North Carolina and Georgia are too expensive, too crowded, unliveable etc....and looking for another are to become the new Utopia.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:54 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times
That probably will be true..the midwest being the newer hotspots that is....quite frankly..I dont know if its worth it to move to a "hotspot" anyway..just move to a place where you get paid a decent salary that matches the cost of living..and a place that you think you would be happy with.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:44 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_mouse View Post
You say companies will never go in the old rust belt cause of union and high taxes so everything shifted down south - and now EVERYONE is going there, and now people are complaining the areas are getting ruined

Well businesses and people are gonna keep piling into your low tax, union-free area enjoy the sprawl, cause its never gonna stop. Well actually it will stop when we can't relocate our entire country around whoever has the lowest tax rate at the moment (plus these southern cities are finding out .. they want all those big office towers, they need tax dollars to run a city - so taxes go up!)
Your probably right and areas will start to have the same problems, it's a normal cycle. But think about it if you want to establish a buisness are you going to move to an area with high operating expenses or low? Look at the new Auto Manufacturing facilities they moved to Kentucky, Tennessee, and Georgia. There are plenty of facilities & manpower in the traditional areas but the overhead is just too high. For a community to survive there needs to be a reason to live/work there regardless of what part of the country your in.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:51 PM

770 posts, read 3,679,796 times
I am one of the young northern New Yorkers that fled the state. My main reason was after college there were no jobs offered in my field. The houses were run down, the town was run down and there was absolutely nothing to do as far as entertainment. I could not see me raising my children there. What I saw were young adults 18,19, 20 years old walking around with 2-3 kids. That was their way to survive, pop out children so that the system could pay for them to survive because McD's didn't pay the bills. NY is in shambles and they really need someone to do something about it. Unforunately like it was mentioned, it is all about NYC. The city dwellers vote for whoever is for NYC and raising taxes all over NY so NYC can benefit from it! They need to make NYC a seperate state all of its own.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:02 PM

103 posts, read 653,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
That probably will be true..the midwest being the newer hotspots that is....quite frankly..I dont know if its worth it to move to a "hotspot" anyway..just move to a place where you get paid a decent salary that matches the cost of living..and a place that you think you would be happy with.
Very true.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:35 PM

195 posts, read 1,078,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarian View Post
Funny how things work that way. Watch twenty years down the line, when Nebraska and Iowa become the new hotspots .
I'm from IA. I think it's way too boring to ever be any sort of hotspot.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:58 PM

195 posts, read 1,078,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Well a major problem with the Hudson Valley area is not only are people leaving, is that he younger people who are choosing to stay, are "born brought up and married in the same town"...They havent, as the Previous Poster "Sgoldie" stated, seen the world. Heck, graduation from high school or a 2 year stint at Dutchess Community college is a HUGE deal. That is something that I have found in alot up here. Then you have the complete other side of the spectrum, people who lucked out, bought during the housing boom (or maybe the height of it), and they came from various areas, the city, westchester, etc etc, because technically the taxes and real estate, while cheaper, are still backbreakers. Mostly upper class, white collar workers who have ties financially to NYC/Westchester/Bergen Counties of NJ.

So you have entire counties suffering from a bedroom community effect of you cannot work and live in the same county--unless you are doctor/dentist/own your own business or have the luxury of telecommuting.

So then what is the incentive for any new employer to really come up here? There really isnt. You have tons of retail stuff opening up with will provide the simple service of convenience for the locals, perhaps some job opps for the people looking..but nothing really solid and concrete to write home about.

Of course then you have the old fuddy duddies, who are in their 50-60's who are fighting the towns for NO economic or residential development, because it promotes the utilization of their open space, the farmers are being pushed out..people dont like the McMansions...etc etc etc. But something has to give. They want the "old" hudson valley, where people moved up here, found a job up here, bought the 70 year old victorian home, with an attitude of "so what if it takes 20 minutes to get to a local CVS..go to Jims Pharmacy instead up the road.

And as sweet as it sounds, the lifestyles of people today arent condusive to that. Something has to give, more industry to intice younger people to stay(or at least come back), affordable real estate, but I dont see that happening--at least anytime soon.
I thought your comment on young people who haven't seen the world staying in the Hudson Valley is interesting. I live in a area in the midwest where many people stay in the area their whole lives and have never seen the world, and where graduation from high school or a two year stint at the local community college is also a big deal.

That seems to be a problem in rural areas if you want to call it one. I think people become mired in such a small town mentality then, but they are convinced that their slice of the MN or IA is the best the world has to offer. It's interesting that NY would be the same in the Hudson Valley. Also, those sorts of people never really like you if you are not from there. I, for example have lived all my life I can remember in small town MN or IA, in the same area. But, I don't want to have the vision ( so narrow) or stay here all my life like that. I guess I have only known what I've known, but I'm kind of a armchair travelor, and am interested in other places, which is why I found this. Indeed, I think most people who have just known one area all their lives ( or town, although not in my case), are not curious about other places.

I guess I'm the exception. I like upstate NY and think maybe of relocating there one day, ( I'm almost 21 and still in college,etc), but reading this thread was interesting, about younger people leaving upstate NY. I also think of relocating to New Hampshire. I like to dream I guess. I think there are often two different types of young people in rural areas like I've experienced in NE Iowa, and like this person posted about the Hudson Valley, since there are also those in Iowa who have the same perspective who think their smalltown is SO nice, and then there are those who think there is more sophistication and life elsewhere.

Of course, as this thread highlights, some are forced to move or spured on to move because of practical reasons and very important reasons, such as finding a suitable job. I haven't got that far yet, but I like small towns, just not the ones I know, but maybe all small towns are the same trap. I'm sure that NH or Upstate NY would maybe be less boring than Iowa, but the mentality of rural areas might not change much with a different state, when it's still rural. I just thought I'd add my perspective on a different state, but similiar sitiuation, and from my perspective as someone young who maybe wants to move to upstate NY someday, but I suppose I will really know when I'm done with college in a few years, because you do have to have a suitable job, but I swear nothing will keep me in IA. I just get rather lengthy on the subject of people who stay in their hometown their whole lives, whether it's from my experience, or it's about the same sitiuation in other places.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:05 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,901,566 times
You might be shocked but I thought the quad cities much more interesting than rural Illinois or Nebraska or Kansas. Davenport seemed to have a little spark in it. I will say Iowa was the least bleak of them all. There was color in the landscape, trees where there weren't fields, and at least it had some gently rolling hillls.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:42 AM

253 posts, read 1,274,439 times
I hate to be so blunt but the fact is the reason there is a massive brain drain from upstate NY to Charlotte and/or the 'research triangle' is because WNY HEAVILY invested in education - thus higher taxes. And as a result of NC having lower taxes - the south got NYs best educated, while we have a shrinking tax base and at the same time NC and the south simply does not have the infrastructure for that to conitinue on.

In fact that whole 'research triangle' is lilterally Silicon Valley forcibly transplanted into BF Nowhere, Deep South, USA... where it really doesnt belong. The companies were lured there by tax rates and nothing else.. and you can see the whole situation starkley considering that none of that workforce is FROM there. This is why southerners complain about thier cities filling with transplants. Or their failing schools and city infrastructures. We know how to build cities in the NE. We're just being victimized by whiny republicans that dont want to pay taxes or pay Americans a decent wage. Thats all there is to it.

Former WNYers who got great jobs down south will find thier kids coming out of school unprepared. And if you look at all the highest taxed areas.. these are places with the most educated populations in the U.S... SFBA CA, Seattle WA... or even Buffalo NY.. workers educated in NYS are in high demand everywhere.. the only reason it doesnt show in our stats here is cause they leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York