U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 03:07 PM

20 posts, read 51,611 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy something ASAP within decent commuting distance from Armonk and Purchase. I've been focusing on CT because everybody says the taxes are so much cheaper but I'm wondering how big the difference really is. I think now and going forward (as more people move north from Westchester), my ride to Carmel (for example) might be a lot easier than a ride to New Fairfield and might be worth some extra money. My mother's ride down 84 to get to exit 7 is almost as bad as her ride up 684 every day and I'd like to avoid it if I can.

Have a 2 yr old now so schools are a huge concern. Not looking to get him in a school system like Danbury where everybody is held up because half the kids don't speak English.

We're looking to spend $300-350K as first time buyers. Can anybody give me a ballpark guess at what the financial differences would be for an average 3 bdrm 2 bath house in that range in Carmel vs New Fairfield? I can go on Zillow or another site and look up property tax differences but there doesn't appear to be as much of a difference as I was led to believe. What else do I have to consider financially when deciding between the two places?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: