Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 07:40 PM

103 posts, read 653,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmos View Post
I say Bronxville because it is a shorter commute. I
Also, why bother with a private school? In the towns you plan on living in, the public schools might as well be private schools. The parking lots look like Mercedes dealerships.

Ok, the Mercedes dealership remark cracked me up.

I also wondered why private if Scarsdale is chosen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 04:52 AM

142 posts, read 809,875 times
" In researching the town, I also came across a number of sources claiming there to be a rather large gay community in Rye. Can anyone verify or deny these claims?"

Are you kidding me? Why do you care? I would love to write this poster off as a troll with his flaunting of wealth and looking for neighbors who are the same but there are too many people in Fairfield County who might post this same post. Oh, and for the record, I grew up in Greenwich, lived in Darien for a long time and I also worked on Wall Street. I know what I am speaking of.

And by the way, don't ask your realtor that question. It is beyond unethical.

Please rule out Skaneateles.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:39 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,916,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetWarrior View Post
I checked out some homes in Rye, NY, and while they were quite beautiful, I cannot see any clear advantages over Scarsdale. In researching the town, I also came across a number of sources claiming there to be a rather large gay community in Rye. Can anyone verify or deny these claims?
Yes 4 out of 5 people are gay.

Its all here:

cbs5.com - Pentagon Confirms It Sought To Build A 'Gay Bomb' (broken link)

Rye was the first test site.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:53 AM

417 posts, read 1,888,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post

Its all here:

Oh I love to see our tax dollars hard at work. I don't doubt that everyone involved in the 'project' knew it was a joke, but hey, $7.5 million? Sure, we'll play along! What do you think? Three or four 'meetings,' a quick powerpoint presentation or two, a final, regrettable conclusion that it "just isn't feasible at this time, but worthy of future reconsideration and study" and everyone walks away with a nice, fat 'consultation' check. Though really it's small change and a bargain at that, compared to what is going on now.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:02 AM

525 posts, read 2,348,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post

Its all here:

OK, now I spit my coffee all over the screen. Honestly Warrior, with that attitude you should move to Greenwich or another, lost-in-time, despretly trying to hold onto the "old-money" days in which your statement would be applauded and agreed with.

WAKE up dude, it is 2007 - I would rather my family be the only straight family in a good, safe, honest, hard-working gay community than in a community of vapid, self-centered, money-is-everything-and-I-will-do-anything-to-get-money, screw my neighbors and anyone in my way to the country club neighborhood. The VERY type of neigborhood you are seeking.

What are you afraid of? If there are any gay families in the neighborhood they will secretly induct your wife and children into the club?

For all the residents in Rye, a wonderful community, do them a favor and live ANYWHERE but there!

Old 06-15-2007, 09:35 AM

420 posts, read 2,196,742 times
Hey, all I asked for was information. I never mentioned that I had adverse feelings toward living in a gay community. Our decision certainly won't be made on the general sexual-orientation of the town we choose, as obviously there are many factors which take presidence, and for that matter are even relevant. I'm not looking for a "vapid, self-centered" community at all, but rather what Natalpaz suggested. I'm looking for a family-oriented community, gay or straight.

My logic behind private school is that in today's society, I feel that who you meet along the way is just as important as what you learn along the way. In my experience, I might not have learned any more than anyone in public school, but the social networking I was exposed to was invaluable. That is, in my view, what private schools are all about.

As for the commute from Darien, yes, it's relatively close to the city geographically, but when you add in traffic and the fact that relatively every day someone feels like taking out the right two lanes with a wipe out.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:12 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,916,611 times
http://www.rentcatskills.com/images/ryeboys.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-15-2007, 10:18 AM

Oh I understood you quite well. In fact I was born and raised in a small, too-much money town that did, and still does, subscribe to your theories of "family-oriented" and "meet the right people in a private school."

I suspect you must be in your 30s, so perhaps your generation faired better in terms of too much money=trouble. I can testify that many of the kids that I went to school with from a private/public HS to a small private college, did NOTHING but ride on Daddy's reputation and pull, and are sitting around now, 25 years later, waiting for their inheritence. Perhaps a century ago, being in the "right place" to meet the "right people" worked, but I will give you the insight that the more wealth that a child was raised in - at least 50% of said children had too much money which equalled little motivation to do anything on their own, too much money for recreation-either up the nose or behind the wheel of an $80,000 car without regard to the consequences of any f'ups, etc. etc.

Honestly, I think raising your child with a REAL perspective on what life is, not the rose-colored "I can have anything I want" surrounded by children whose parents pay upward of 15K for PRE-SCHOOL (yes you read that right-at least on LI), is giving your child a MUCH better preparation for the real world-where people are different colors, different religions, different economic backgrounds.

I get you, I really do, I was raised in the "old-school" mentality-best schools best everything, blah blah. It is a miracle I turned out to be normal, most of my peers did not! I just want you to think of things from every angle, your children are very lucky they have parents with such means. YOu have a rtue opportunity to do the BEST for your babies. I am just not sure the old-school way of thinking is the best anymore for our future generations. Afterall, when your babies are your age, or my age, the world will be a VERY different place than it is now. We don't know what it will be like, but my bet is further insulating your children "behind the gate" will ultimately make them less prepared for the world in which they live. This is based on my living on both sides of the fence. I too worked on Wall Street for 12 years, worked my way up to a strong executive position, lived on the Upper East side overlooking the river, blah blah. I now live up in the NYS mountains where Carharts and trucks are the Armani and the mercedes. I offer this info because you just never know what your children will decide to do. You namy know what you WANT them to do, but they will make their own choices. Why not give them the experience and knowledge to be able to do whatever it is they want? They may not want to day-trade, work on wall street, or be a doctor or a lawyer. You just don't know.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:02 PM

417 posts, read 1,888,211 times
Good post JSN.

I have to wonder about the legitimacy of the original post, though. A high-flying wall-streeter considering houses in the $6million range and who is all about private education networking & 'who-you-know' is "begging" for anonymous people on a message board to help find the right neighborhood for him and his family? Something just seems fishy.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:15 PM

I agree, us little folk shouldn't be the one's giving advice!

The country club, spa, or lunch at Sign of the Dove should be the better environment. Regardless of the legitimacy of the post, it does give many the opportunity to read, think and discuss this topic!

A well-rounded discussion is always good for all that participate!!

It's all good.......

Last edited by JustSayNo; 06-15-2007 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York