Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 11:43 AM

168 posts, read 313,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
I don't care about TWA execs, I can about my taxes being used to support a benefit for civil servants that basically doesn't exist anymore.
Emotional plea. There are still pensions in the private sector as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 11:58 AM

280 posts, read 245,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacoupe View Post
There's still slavery in the world too.

Pensions are going the way of the dinosaur and there's no justifying them in the public sector anymore.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:06 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,220,871 times
Quote:
I can't rep you more than once, but rock on with your logical self.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
There's still slavery in the world too.

Pensions are going the way of the dinosaur and there's no justifying them in the public sector anymore.
Translates to "I dont have it why should they" Emotional plea.

For the facts look here:
Office of the New York State Comptroller - Thomas P. DiNapoli - Pension Investment & Cash Management

We should be DEMANDING pensions be brought back into the private sector. Demanding benefits be taken away on false statements of underfunded pensions and unaffordability is fear mongering for the elite.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:

For the facts look here:
Office of the New York State Comptroller - Thomas P. DiNapoli - Pension Investment & Cash Management

We should be DEMANDING pensions be brought back into the private sector. Demanding benefits be taken away on false statements of underfunded pensions and unaffordability is fear mongering for the elite.
You can afford paying $10 for a gallon of milk, does that make it OK?

The equity issue is a big issue. It's not about me not having a pension, it's about pensions not occuring in the private sector anymore due to the cost. It's cheaper to participate in defined contribution, it's as simple as that. Defined contribution is the primary retirement vehicle out there, so moving civil servants to this retirement plan is not outlandish in the least.

Why spend the extra money when it is not standard practice? Do you regularly pay vendors extra for things you buy?

Old 06-04-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
I can't rep you more than once, but rock on with your logical self.
Million dollar bonuses occur in the private sector, so they should happen in the public sector too? yea rock on with that logic

Old 06-04-2010, 12:12 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,220,871 times
Quote:

For the facts look here:
[URL="http://www.osc.state.ny.us/pension/index.htm"]Office of the New York State Comptroller - Thomas P. DiNapoli - Pension Investment & Cash Management[/URL]

But, see, that would require effort and standing up for oneself, even if it means sacrificing in the short term, like other workers have before.

There's no demanding effort from many of today's kids. They'd rather bring down those who fought tooth and nail to get good wages and benefits than go about getting the same for themselves. To them, equality means, "And misery for all."

Old 06-04-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
But, see, that would require effort and standing up for oneself, even if it means sacrificing in the short term, like other workers have before.

There's no demanding effort from many of today's kids. They'd rather bring down those who fought tooth and nail to get good wages and benefits than go about getting the same for themselves.
So let me get your "logic" straight... because a small percentage of workers (civil servants) get benefits that do not exist anymore for the rest of the population, we should not create parity with the civil servants by adjusting their compensation structure to reflect today's market... that all the rest of the workers need to fight to get the benefits that the civil servants have? Yes, very logical indeed.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
You can afford paying $10 for a gallon of milk, does that make it OK?
I would simply drink my coffee black
Quote:

The equity issue is a big issue. It's not about me not having a pension, it's about pensions not occuring in the private sector anymore due to the cost. It's cheaper to participate in defined contribution, it's as simple as that. Defined contribution is the primary retirement vehicle out there, so moving civil servants to this retirement plan is not outlandish in the least.

Why spend the extra money when it is not standard practice? Do you regularly pay vendors extra for things you buy?
There are still pensions in the private sector at some very profitable companies. It is greed that has taken away pensions. Greed at the top paid for by people at the bottom who actually produce.

My prior industry has seen it all. The airlines have taught me one thing and that is for everydollar we give up under false pretenses the top gets richer. Working class people should be sticking together and demanding equal pay NOT demanding things taken away from others. That is not how we improve our standerd of living.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I would simply drink my coffee black

There are still pensions in the private sector at some very profitable companies. It is greed that has taken away pensions. Greed at the top paid for by people at the bottom who actually produce.

My prior industry has seen it all. The airlines have taught me one thing and that is for everydollar we give up under false pretenses the top gets richer. Working class people should be sticking together and demanding equal pay NOT demanding things taken away from others. That is not how we improve our standerd of living.
Listen, the point of it all is that the civil servants are paid off the backs of private sector employees. Does it make sense that, on average, civil servants have significantly better benefits than private sector employees while having wages that are on par and in many cases better than comparable private sector wages?

Bottom line - civil servants compensation structure parity with the private sector means cheaper taxes for me, or greater services for my tax dollar. It's a shame the 4th of July fireworks are cancelled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York