Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:53 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

Nissan Working on Mini-Z to target FR-S/BRZ - Motor Trend

It's going to be a small car with overall body shape like a smaller 370Z but it will be FWD with a possible AWD. It's turbo engine is the same one that's in the Nissan Juke. It's not a new 240SX. Though it has less power than the Toyobaru, it has more torque. Don't think this is merely a Sentra in a sporty body. If it was, they could easily call the car a 200SX. The HP and size is fine for a 200SX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 10:03 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
FWD makes it another irrevelant auto... ESPECIALLY aimed towards something like the brz/frs.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
The FR-S/BRZ is already painfully slow (seriously, I'd never want to own one). I can't see an even slower competitor with the drive wheels on the wrong side of the car being any better. This will not compete with the FR-S/BRZ. It's possible that they are shooting for some of the econo coupes like the 2 door Elantra, Veloster, etc.

Last edited by iTsLiKeAnEgG; 07-17-2012 at 10:50 AM..

Old 07-17-2012, 10:45 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
Wow, that doesn't even look attractive in it's computer model. The hopped up looking one seems like someone took cues from the favorite ferrari's exagerated a bunch of lines and bulges, hour-glassed the shape into a cartoon, and spat out a vehicle...totally overkill, and the specs hurt it worst. This isn't a "mini-370Z" it's just a small coupe...I'll skip it comfortably. The Scion/Subaru has decent performance, but would benefit from a few more horsepower!

Old 07-17-2012, 11:32 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
A FWD coupe with this amount of HP isn't bad. It's roughly on par power wise as a Civic Si. If it's MPG numbers are very good then that would be an added selling point, sort of like the CRX wannabes that are out today. Personally I think it would not be a good idea to sell this in USA. They should focus on quality Sentra. A brand new model is coming out in 2013. For the Sentra to be a success in today's competition, it should have a smooth comfortable ride, minimum 40 mpg hwy, close to 30 mpg city, solid build quality, and a mildly upgraded performance version (sport suspension, available 5 or 6 speed manual, and close to the 200 HP range engine).

Old 07-17-2012, 11:54 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
The FR-S/BRZ is already painfully slow (seriously, I'd never want to own one). I can't see an even slower competitor with the drive wheels on the wrong side of the car being any better. This will not compete with the FR-S/BRZ. It's possible that they are shooting for some of the econo coupes like the 2 door Elantra, Veloster, etc.
You've said the FR-S is painfully slow in a couple posts. Compared to what? What other $25K sporty cars are significantly faster than low-6 seconds to 60? Did you wind it high enough to get into the power it does have?

It's not all about straight line performance, especially in this class. All the press I've seen talks about how well it handles, not how fast it is.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
You've said the FR-S is painfully slow in a couple posts. Compared to what? What other $25K sporty cars are significantly faster than low-6 seconds to 60? Did you wind it high enough to get into the power it does have?

It's not all about straight line performance, especially in this class. All the press I've seen talks about how well it handles, not how fast it is.
The 2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0T does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. The 2012 Mustang V6 can do it in 5.6. The FR-S/BRZ are being touted as great handling cars, which is all well and good, but Autoguide did a comparison between the FR-S and the Genesis with the Genesis being faster around a track. Some people will buy the FR-S because that is what they want regardless of performance, which is why it is great to have options available. For someone like myself, who knows that I can get a more comfortable car (with usable rear seats) with a better interior that is faster around a track as well as a straight line, it's hard to justify getting the lesser performing car given the sacrifices. Regardless of what people say, when it comes to a track day, no matter how great the car handles it still doesn't make it any more fun when you're still finishing last.

If you don't go to the track (as most people never will) you're still driving a car that takes more work to get up to speed. My short test drive with the FR-S displayed a car that struggles to attain freeway speeds with any immediacy unless you're tapping redline on a consistent basis. This is not my idea of a fun drive.

I'll leave it with this. I think the FR-S is a beautiful car and I love the idea of a low weight coupe. I didn't have much opportunity to toss it around too much but judging from the reviews it's a great handling car. The engine is a real downer in my opinion and these cars would do a lot better with an additional 50hp. For me, it comes down to what I'm getting for my dollar and the FR-S/BRZ doesn't bring enough of the good stuff.

Last edited by iTsLiKeAnEgG; 07-17-2012 at 01:34 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 01:33 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Which engine do you have in your Genesis? The Toyobaru has considerably better power:weight ratio than the old 2.0T, and it's an exaggeration to call even that "painfully slow". It's not like these are Smart cars we're talking about.

But I do agree that any car that has power going to the front wheels isn't competing with the Toyobaru. Nissan must be completely out of it if they're blowing an opportunity to call on their Silvia roots and instead trying to take on the Toyobaru with some derivative engineering compromise borrowed from their mainstream lineup.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Which engine do you have in your Genesis? The Toyobaru has considerably better power:weight ratio than the old 2.0T, and it's an exaggeration to call even that "painfully slow". It's not like these are Smart cars we're talking about.

But I do agree that any car that has power going to the front wheels isn't competing with the Toyobaru. Nissan must be completely out of it if they're blowing an opportunity to call on their Silvia roots and instead trying to take on the Toyobaru with some derivative engineering compromise borrowed from their mainstream lineup.
My 2011 2.0T was also dog slow from the dealer (210hp/225tq) but it's currently in Stage 2 trim which dynos at 250whp and 330wtq on the stock turbo. That equates to approximately 295hp and 388tq at the crank. It's already pretty solid performance wise, with good pull even in higher gears on the highway (it walks the 306hp V6 of the same year). This is one reason why I'm very fond of turbo cars as performance gains can be made relatively cheaply. Power is an addictive beast and I've been planning a small turbo upgrade for quite some time. The 19T turbo (oem turbo with extrude hone to allow for larger compressor and turbine) goes for $625 new and puts down 330whp (near 390hp crank) with similar torque. I've already got all of the other supporting mods. I can't complain, it's a pretty flexible platform.

Although the 2013 2.0T's are still new to market so tuning solutions are no where to be found I'm confident that the stock turbo 2013's will do 300whp once the tools are available.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:15 PM

Here is something to hope for (quoted from TopSpeed.com):

"With the recent announcement from Subaru about the addition of a turbocharger onto the FA-20 engine – the engine that the FR-S and BRZ come with – and its use in the upcoming Legacy sedan and wagon, we are starting to think the any time soon period has officially ended. We anticipate seeing a BRZ with a turbocharger hitting showrooms in the 2015 model year, at the latest, but the paltry 296 horsepower that the current boosted FA-20 produces won’t hold a candle to the version that the BRZ will see."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti