Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 03:13 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Okay, I'm chiming in. I have a 1990 Toyota Corolla and until last month, it went everywhere. Until it decided not to start when I turned the key. Plenty of battery, just didn't want to run. Had two little girls with me, and had to call Triple AAA to get towed. Turns out it was a fuse. Yes, a 15 amp. fuse under the hood, that powers the fuel pump. They replaced the fuse and all was fine for about three weeks. Then the same thing happened. Replaced the fuse and it was good for about three days. It is now in the garage at my house and I am looking for a replacement car.

Silly as it may sound, it might be worth checking. Good luck.
Your fuel pump is going and drawing too much power, or corrosion somewhere is causing a short-circuit. That shouldn't be too hard for someone with some experience to diagnose and fix, but since you cart around young'uns, I can't recommend ditching that car soon enough, preferably for something from this millennium. They're just soooo much safer if there's an accident. Please, do it for 'da shorties!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 03:29 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
Even a Tires Plus flunky can tell if a timing chain is busted, so given the other info, I'd say that sounds about right.

The sorry part about the situation is that it surely didn't take $90 worth of diagnostic time to figure that out.

If it's otherwise in clean/good condition, no rust, etc., it's probably time for an "as is, needs engine, best offer" craigslist listing.

Or it's time to get it to someone who can put in a used engine for $1500 or so.

If it's in not-so-good condition, it's salvage time.

Whatever you choose, I wouldn't trust an engine transplant to Tires Plus, that's for sure!

Old 09-01-2013, 04:15 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
RE: The Nissan Altima

Pull the distributor cap and have someone turn the motor over with the ignition switch while you watch the distributor rotor that is under the distributor cap. If the rotor is turning (or even barely turning) while the motor is cranking over, the timing belt is not broken. If the rotor is NOT turning, there are two possibilities. (1) The timing belt has broken or (2) the pin at the bottom of the distributor shaft that holds the gear to the shaft may have sheared. To check the pin, stop cranking and grab the rotor with your hand and see if you can turn it. If the rotor turns freely with your hand, the distributor will need replacing because the gear pin is likely sheared.

I'm working this distributor problem now on a 2003 Nissan Frontier with a V6. I bought an aftermarket distributor for about $150 to replace my sheared gear pin but I now have a fuel distribution problem as well.

Be aware that my rotor was "slightly" turning when the engine was being cranked even with the sheared gear pin. The gear at the end of the distributor fits snugly on the shaft and, with the cool thick oil, the gear was able to rotate just a little with the shaft as the motor was cranked. However, the gear is not so snug on the shaft that you can't easily turn the rotor by hand if the pin is sheared. In short, if the distributor gear-to-cam gear connection is still intact, you will not be able to turn the rotor with your hand.

BTW, The reason the tire place is saying your engine needs replacing is because, if that is the V6, it is an "interference" engine. When the timing chain breaks, it's possible for the valves stems to be bent when the valves meet the upcoming pistons. Sounds like a big assumptions on the part of the tire shop because it sounds like they are only assuming the timing belt broke and secondly they HAVE to be assuming you have bent valves without taking the engine down. There is not always engine damage when a timing belt breaks in an interference engine.

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 09-01-2013 at 04:27 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 05:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
A timing belt or chain that snaps on cold startup probably does not do any other harm to the engiine, and just needs to be replaced. The engine was not running when it broke. Tell a c ompetent mechanic that at an independent garage, and see what they say. But mention that the engine stalled a couple of times in the days prior to the non-start.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:38 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
You need a real mechanic to diagnose the car. This timing chain stuff just doesn't add up.........and I sir am a real mechanic

Old 09-01-2013, 05:45 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
I seriously doubt your timing chain broke.

But you never did tell us how many miles on the Altima? That is important to know and did you keep up with regular oil changes?

Old 09-01-2013, 06:34 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
I seriously doubt your timing chain broke.

But you never did tell us how many miles on the Altima? That is important to know and did you keep up with regular oil changes?
One last attempt - figured if spark plugs weren't getting power then distributor maybe kaput and replaced it but still engine doesn't crank however I know the starter is fine.

The 4 cylinder Altima has about 220K miles on it and I would take it to a shop religiously to change oil every 3500 miles and over the past several years have changed numerous parts like alternator, oxygen sensor, put in a new battery 2 years ago etc.

I don't think it's the timing belt as I see the belt attached to the alternator turns when I start the ignition.

It can be numerous other things and am at a point where I don't want to put any more money into the Altima.

On another note, I cleaned the spark plugs - should I try to replace 1 or 2 of them to see if the engine will crank up?

Old 09-01-2013, 06:41 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Thanks. I didn't make that connection before but only after the starter was replaced.

Anyway, took the car to Tires Plus and the beginning didn't go well.

Initially was told vehicle diagnosis was $14.99 so I figure even with towing it's worthwhile and now they charged me $89.99 saying engine diagnosis is different than vehicle diagnosis.

Short story - the mechanic said the timing chain is broken and we need to replace the engine and gave me a quote for $2500 and am really really reluctant to pay $2500 for a car that's worth $1500...

Question: If it's timing chain then should any belt or pulley turn when I look in the engine compartment?
First of all, get it away from Tires Plus. Those people are NOT who you want to touch your vehicle for anything, ever.

Take it to a REAL mechanic.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:04 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
You folks need to appreciate the knowledge Garagelogic has and shares free of charge with you.I believe he knows more than I do.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:31 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,434 times
After trying to find a used engine, I gave up and have decided to give away the car to charity.

In the end, I chose Charity Cars Car Donation | 1-800 Charity Cars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti