Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 04:55 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,536,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post

I only see poor people driving Altimas for some reason

The Versa is also long in the tooth

Now Infinty has taken design to a whole different level. The flagship sedan looks like somethign one would see on the smurfs.

IMO Nissan is one of those companies that is following the path of Mistubishi. Soon they'll be chasing consumers with sub 600 credit scores
I hate to say that about stereotypes, but that is so true. Part of the reason is the Nissan Altima doesn't hold it's value, at lease in Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Because of posts I read on this forum, I will likely purchase an Xterra rather than a Jeep Wrangler as my career path is almost certain to take me into areas with inclement weather.
The Xterra is about the only bullet proof car in the Nissan lineup!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 05:36 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,202 times
Altima is the best looking in its category and reliable too.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:00 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
The Altima is also very common in fleet use, which tends to help undermine the resale value.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-03-2014, 06:29 PM

17,602 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Wow is this how people choose cars these days? lol When i buy a new car i research about the engine and transmission and other mechanical things that matter. I can get an aftermarket stereo with usb installed for $200. Reminds me of people not buying a house because the inside is painted a weird color
I was thinking the same thing. When possible, the stereo is the first thing I change when buying a car. I dread the day I buy a car I can't replace the stereo (looks to be happening on some models). I'd rather buy a car without the factory stereo and speakers and buy my own choice based upon my hearing. High frequencies hurt my ears. At this time, Kenwood two way speakers sound best for my ears.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:37 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I was thinking the same thing. When possible, the stereo is the first thing I change when buying a car. I dread the day I buy a car I can't replace the stereo (looks to be happening on some models). I'd rather buy a car without the factory stereo and speakers and buy my own choice based upon my hearing. High frequencies hurt my ears. At this time, Kenwood two way speakers sound best for my ears.

The aftermarket car stereo scene is dying a little further with each passing model year. My MINI is damn near impossible to put an aftermarket radio in and have to work right.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:58 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
I just put an aftermarket system into my 911, it was the hardest install I've ever done, trying to get everything to play nice with the factory Bose amps and speakers, getting rid of the stock navigation setup and microphone, etc.

At the end I told myself that would be the last one I ever do. Newer systems can be replaced, but they are at the point now where it takes a dedicated car stereo install shop to do it properly and costs a lot more.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:00 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Maybe Nissan is ignored because there are little or no problems with these cars?

Old 07-04-2014, 10:03 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
I used to work on Mercedes Manual transmissions when I couldn't afford to pay a shop. But it taught me a great deal. So, when I heard people trash Nissan's CVT, I wanted to hear Nissan's side of it.

After a lot of tech research, I really like CVT. It is innovative, less complex than the auto dinosaurs, less costly, better fuel economy, and Nissan is in its 2nd decade of relying on it. Nissan is also a great business story.

So, when me wife and kids, who could care less about brands, as long it is not a Ford, chose the '14 Pathfinder to replace the Lexus SUV, I had no issues.

They still love the car, and I have yet to experience any issues. Although still new at 2500 miles. Back in a Nissan after almost 20 years.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:54 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
And now we have the Versa Note which is a blatantly obvious attempt to copy te styling of the Honda Fit without the Fit's fun to drive nature.
The previous Versa hatchback was, well, kind of terrible. In fact, I've never been less impressed with a rental car (and I've rented a lot of cars). Now, the ride-to-handling ratio seemed pretty good, and acceleration was OK, but the steering wasn't, the engine was a bit rough, and the 4-speed automatic was a dog. The seat cushions were stuffed with some of the most bouncy foam rubber I've ever sat upon, and the interior was boring. The stereo was a piece of crap, too. Gas mileage was also poor, but I can't be sure that's Nissan's fault--I was kind of beating on it, hoping it would break so that they would come give me a different car. (To Nissan's credit, the Versa didn't break... Unfortunately.)

And what was up with the Versa's cruise control? Every time I tapped the accelerate button on the freeway to adjust my speed, the torque converter unlocked momentarily and the engine revved up FOR NO REASON. As someone who uses the cruise control quite a lot, I found that noisy, fuel-wasting behavior to be unhelpful in the context of a rental car, and unacceptable for anything that I would consider buying.

When I returned the Versa for my newly-repaired Honda Fit, I told them I would never accept another Versa rental, and there's a reason I bought a Fit. Yeah, it rides rough, and it's a bit slow (1.5 L can only do so much), but it handles great, the seat has normal non-bouncy padding, the cruise control is dead-nuts accurate, it gets good mileage considering its cargo capacity, the interior has some flair (and again, all that room), and the stereo sounds fine. The Fit is premium for the class. The previous Versa was a bargain-basement fail whale.

As far as the new one goes, I saw a new Versa Note hatchback in person the other day, and wow are you right! It looks like the outgoing 09-13 Fit's proverbial illegitimate half-brother. Now, it makes a lot of sense that Nissan would follow the leader, but if the new one drives or feels anything like the old one, it's not going to be impressive. With the new Fit on the way for '15 (there is no '14 Fit in the US), Nissan's gonna fall short again.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:01 PM

774 posts, read 2,380,655 times
Quote:
Wow is this how people choose cars these days? lol When i buy a new car i research about the engine and transmission and other mechanical things that matter. I can get an aftermarket stereo with usb installed for $200. Reminds me of people not buying a house because the inside is painted a weird color
...Hard to really get a complete thought across in a post.

I'd never consider a car based on frivolous things.

I was merely thinking "first impressions mean a lot"... When you start to "Cheap out" on things I notice when I first sit in the car, there could be more things lurking like:

1. Drum brakes on the rear instead of discs all around.
2. Timing belt instead on chain.
3. Underpowered.
4. Minimal warranty 3yr, 36,000.
5. Plastic oil filter housing on some cars I was looking at.
6. CVT transmission- okay for some, but I'm not buying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti