Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,904 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,I have a Nissan Pathfinder 1996 SE,I bought this from a person 6 months ago,now it wont start.I took it my mechanic he said the EGR I bad,I bought a new one he put it in still wont start,he said it needs a ignition wire set,bought new on,still wont start,now he said something else's wrong,I told him I give up,i really don't have no more money for whatever elses wrong with it.Now I don't know if he really know what he's doing.please help me to get my car back for I really cant afford now to get a new car.thank you everyone.hope and pray someone out there can figure out what happen and what should I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 12:56 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo76 View Post
I don't know if he really know what he's doing.
I would have to guess that no, he doesn't. Find a reputable mechanic in your area, no way we can tell what's wrong with just your post to go on, although I can tell you it's not the EGR or the ignition wires.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:58 PM

17,147 posts, read 15,350,560 times
EGR issues are an easy fix/diagnosis.
Starter issues are also very easy to fix/diagnose.
Find a new mechanic.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:02 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,757,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo76 View Post
Hi everyone,I have a Nissan Pathfinder 1996 SE,I bought this from a person 6 months ago,now it wont start.

I took it my mechanic he said the EGR I bad,I bought a new one he put it in still wont start,he said it needs a ignition wire set,bought new on,still wont start,now he said something else's wrong,I told him I give up,i really don't have no more money for whatever elses wrong with it.

Now I don't know if he really know what he's doing.

please help me to get my car back for I really cant afford now to get a new car.thank you everyone.hope and pray someone out there can figure out what happen and what should I do.
Ahhhhhh, that's better.

Is there a check engine light on?

Were you driving it every day?

Will the engine crank but not fire or nothing happens when you turn the key?

This guy was totally ripping you off. EGR valves cause cars to run crappy, but they will start.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
You need to find a good mechanic with the proper equipment to diagnose the problem. This guy is throwing parts at the problem, guessing. With a vehicle that age, if the starter is turning it over, I would "guess" that the fuel pump has gone, but then I would never buy and install one without verifying that which is easy enough to do for a mechanic. Tell us where you are, and someone might PM you with a recommendation for a good mechanic. While I do a lot of work myself I have a mechanic that I have used for big or tricky things for over 20 years and stick with him. It took a lot of trial and error to find one that's both competent and honest, with reasonable rates.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:32 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,197,481 times
Go to the basics first. Is it getting a spark at the spark plugs? Is it getting fuel to the cylinders? I would first check to see if there is fire to the cylinders and check the fuel pressure, etc. I would pull the distributor cap and observe to ensure the rotor is moving. I presume it is turning over, but not firing up. Might need someone to help you check these things if you are not familiar with them.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
You can pull codes, a bad smog device or misfire would have set a code and it doesn't have to be running to read it. Bad fuel pump does not usually set a code or turn on the light.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Wont start. What does that mean?
When you turn the key what exactly happens

Nothing happens
Dash is dead no lights come on
Dash lights come on engine dies not crank
Dash lights come on engine cranks
Dash lights come on engine cranks attempts to start

Could be anything as simple as a bad fuse or more complicated like relays or actual components on fuel pump, starter, or ignition related.could be a bad coil or coil wire. Your mechanic is throwing parts at it because he doesn't know what is wrong or what he is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti